09 MMH, Scangauge and 4WD status

HeloCaptain

I have entered the appropriate strings in the Xgauge (per scangauge.coms spec sheet) for the 4WD status.

After several emails to Scangauge (trying to convince them that the FEH and MMH are the same vehicle except for appearance), I was finally informed that the Scangauge should display ON or OFF.

I receive no indication at all.

Does anyone receive a 4WD status on their Scangauge (that is "ON" or "OFF")? If yes, what year is your FEH or MMH?

I have entered the appropriate strings in the Xgauge (per scangauge.coms spec sheet) for the 4WD status.

After several emails to Scangauge (trying to convince them that the FEH and MMH are the same vehicle except for appearance), I was finally informed that the Scangauge should display ON or OFF.

I receive no indication at all.

Does anyone receive a 4WD status on their Scangauge (that is "ON" or "OFF")? If yes, what year is your FEH or MMH?

The guy responsible for programming all the Xgauges including the first and best gauge "SoC" is CarlD at Cleanmpg.com. He also is posting as DesertDog on Greenhybrid.com and Hybridcar.com. I was the one responsible for getting the inventor of the Scangauge, Ron Delong and Carl together to come up with the list that's posted on the Scangauge.com site That list has not been updated in over a year now and there are errors in some of those gauge codes. According to Carl, the 4WD gauge is incorrect because it was very hard to figure out that code and since he didn't own a 4WD, he couldn't do the testing required. My suggestion regarding any questions to Carl is first look at the updated information on GH first for the answer and if you still need help, post your question to DesertDog or CarlD. Some folks are presently updating the SGII information and may answer your question also.

"... the 4WD gauge is incorrect ..."

Thank you Gary.

The SG folks email responses to my inquiries caused me concern, since they seemed to not understand that the MMH and FEH are the same vehicle (as far as the SG is concerned).

I had assumed that the manufacturer of the SG had created the Xgauge data strings, so that is where I first tried to get a response.

Am I correct that there is no factory included method of knowing when the 4WD is engaged?

I will seek more information where you have pointed me.

HC

Am I correct that there is no factory included method of knowing when the 4WD is engaged?

HC

Maybe a better question is why would you want to be looking at a gauge to check if your AWD system has engaged the rear wheels? How would such a gauge, which would likely only indicate "on" for fractions of a second at a time, help inform your driving technique?

Do other manufacturers of AWD systems (Audi, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Chrysler, Mercedes, etc) offer this feature and Ford missed the boat?

Thank you Gary.

The SG folks email responses to my inquiries caused me concern, since they seemed to not understand that the MMH and FEH are the same vehicle (as far as the SG is concerned).

I had assumed that the manufacturer of the SG had created the Xgauge data strings, so that is where I first tried to get a response.

HC

The 4WD information can be an Xgauge if Carl had a 4WD to test with as he is the best I've ever seen at programming the Ford codes. Ron Delong relied on Carl for the codes you see listed at the SG site. I think Carl has given-up trying to correct the data on the SG site and the folks at SG never intended the Xgauge to be anything but a generic gauge for most vehicles.

At this point Ford has no plans as far as I know for a light or gauge to the FEH/MMH for 4WD. I consider us lucky that Ron added the Xgauge and Carl was able to figure out the gauges we can program in the Xgauges. I'm not sure Ford ever thought Carl would figure out how to obtain the PCM data he has at this point, but it has been real nice to me and others to monitor and improve our vehicle and mileage.

By the way, if you monitor the Xgauge SoC, Carl has came up with a new technique called the "Reverse Fake Shift" that will improve your MPG in city driving in EV. There is information on the other sites I posted about to learn this new technique. I went from 48mpg tanks to almost 52mpg tanks in my '09 FWD FEH with this new technique.

I think that the question might be, is there a PID(program ID) in the PCM that shows wether or not the 4WD system is active. You can't pull info out of thin air! There is one for the AdvanceTrac because it shows up on the dash of my 09 Escape when active.

In the past they've had what seems to be some useless PIDs in their data but they are there anyway! They've had some PIDs return a zero or 100% which is impossible if the vehicle is running!

Donaldo,

Q: Maybe a better question is why would you want to be looking at a gauge to check if your AWD system has engaged the rear wheels?

A: I presume that is a rhetorical question? If not, then the only appropriate answer, from my humble perspective, is NOYB.

Q: Maybe a better question is why would you want to be looking at a gauge to check if your AWD system has engaged the rear wheels?

A: Just because.

Q: How would such a gauge, which would likely only indicate "on" for fractions of a second at a time, help inform your driving technique?

A: I have made no such assertion.

Q: Do other manufacturers of AWD systems (Audi, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Chrysler, Mercedes, etc) offer this feature and Ford missed the boat?

A: I don't know. I do not own any of the vehicles you listed and I am not trying to compare features of the MMH to the vehicles you listed.

Regards,

HC

The 4WD information can be an Xgauge if Carl had a 4WD to test with as he is the best I've ever seen at programming the Ford codes. Ron Delong relied on Carl for the codes you see listed at the SG site. I think Carl has given-up trying to correct the data on the SG site and the folks at SG never intended the Xgauge to be anything but a generic gauge for most vehicles.

At this point Ford has no plans as far as I know for a light or gauge to the FEH/MMH for 4WD. I consider us lucky that Ron added the Xgauge and Carl was able to figure out the gauges we can program in the Xgauges. I'm not sure Ford ever thought Carl would figure out how to obtain the PCM data he has at this point, but it has been real nice to me and others to monitor and improve our vehicle and mileage.

By the way, if you monitor the Xgauge SoC, Carl has came up with a new technique called the "Reverse Fake Shift" that will improve your MPG in city driving in EV. There is information on the other sites I posted about to learn this new technique. I went from 48mpg tanks to almost 52mpg tanks in my '09 FWD FEH with this new technique.

Gary,

I think the SG folks should realize the increased market value of having accurate codes. Many potential customers are information seekers, even if the information has no productive use other than "now I know," it adds value to the SG.

Carl has done an outstanding job and many of us have benefited from his very significant contributions. IMHO, SG would be smart to contract with him to obtain and maintain the data. Again, it adds value to the SG and therefore more potential sales.

I do monitor the SoC and previously read your reference to his "Reverse Fake Shift." Indeed, I have learned much from the forums here, GH, EC, and HC, mostly your writings, though in some cases, your sharing from others (such as the "Reverse Fake Shift").

Keep up the good work Gary. Many of us benefit from your (and other's) efforts

Regards,

HC

Gary,

I think the SG folks should realize the increased market value of having accurate codes. Many potential customers are information seekers, even if the information has no productive use other than "now I know," it adds value to the SG.

Carl has done an outstanding job and many of us have benefited from his very significant contributions. IMHO, SG would be smart to contract with him to obtain and maintain the data. Again, it adds value to the SG and therefore more potential sales.

I do monitor the SoC and previously read your reference to his "Reverse Fake Shift." Indeed, I have learned much from the forums here, GH, EC, and HC, mostly your writings, though in some cases, your sharing from others (such as the "Reverse Fake Shift").

Keep up the good work Gary. Many of us benefit from your (and other's) efforts

Regards,

HC

Thanks HC

When Ron Delong at LL redesigned the old big box SG to work with hybrids, I was one of the first to purchase it back in December of '05 when it was only $129. I blasted the boards about this new tool and began calling Ron to program the SG for SoC. He told me the SG would never be programmed for one model vehicle and that it must be a generic gauge/tool. When Ron and LL saw the big demand for the SG for the hybrid owners of all types, their Company expanded and they knew we were a big market for them then. Now other Countries have found out about hypermiling and the SGII and the SG is being sold Global. I've seen Japanese hypermiler pictures with as many as 4 SGII on their dashes.

It was timing that I went to Hybridfest in '07 for the MPG Challenge where Ron was there with the new SGII with Xgauge for hypermilers to use for free in the MPG Challenge. Carl had ask me to talk to Ron and show him the codes for SoC in the SGII that he PM'ed with and I did. I explained to Ron that sales would go through the roof for their SGII Xgauge if he would get together with Carl who just so happen lived a few miles from LL where Ron worked. I ask Ron to put the codes and instructions on the LL website that Carl had come up with for SoC.

As you can see now on the http://scangauge.com/support/pdfs/XGAUGE.pdf Ron treated the Escape Hybrid special with an entire section. In other words Ron bent the rules for us and provided Carl the space to add specific information for the Escape Hybrid. The SGII is purchased and used in almost every vehicle with a OBD II connections and we now are a small market compared to the rest of the World. Ron is a friend and I call him when I have a problem or question, but he doesn't have time to deal with each and every owner's problem. This is why Carl contacted me because Ron wouldn't talk to him even back in June of '07. Consider us lucky to have Carl help us out when we have problems with our SGII because LL doesn't know the details Carl can provide on the FEH/MMH.

• 2 months later...
It now works--at least for version 3.14

Go to this link for more details: http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f26/4wd...age-code-20996/

scanguagepullingawayfromstoplight.jpg

I read the link. That's supposed to be 47.7% torque going to the rear wheels just taking off from a stop and no heavy throttle? What kind of system is in that FEH that allows that with what I'd guess is no front wheel slipage? It sure doesn't sound like the "on demand" 4WD in the current FE.

• 3 months later...
I read the link. That's supposed to be 47.7% torque going to the rear wheels just taking off from a stop and no heavy throttle? What kind of system is in that FEH that allows that with what I'd guess is no front wheel slipage? It sure doesn't sound like the "on demand" 4WD in the current FE.

I have recently been able to verify with a Ford WDS system that the full scale reading for this PID is 100%. So the original coding was correct and 47.7% it is. Will post on CMP how to command this instead of measuring it.

I have recently been able to verify with a Ford WDS system that the full scale reading for this PID is 100%. So the original coding was correct and 47.7% it is. Will post on CMP how to command this instead of measuring it.

I have a rather long thread about the subject at: GreenHybrid. I actually measured the duty cycled signal going to the ITCC and compared it to a SG-II. The SG-II was showing twice what a scope showed!