NAP

napfirst

NAP fate was set the day a few weeks ago when the retirement (forced) of Jim Padilla was announced. It had been rumored for many months since Fields took his new job working for Jim that they did not get along and he would be forced out. When it was announced the press release mention that the position would be absorbed by Bill Ford, so that made a clear path to between Bill and Fields....this is what Fields wanted....he cares nothing about quality...read his press releases...rarely mentions it...it was always Padilla that empathasised the need to maintain quality...Fields is a bean-counter...knows very little about operations....it is apparent to everyone that Fields will be Bill's replacement, so no one is going to cross him or his plans.NAP closure was supposed to be announced in Jan....but Padilla fought it because he knew the company would look foolish closing their best quality plant of it's number 1 selling vehicle.....this after spending 357 million dollars over the last 4 years and just having spent another 25 million for the ASRS building that has been in operation for 1 week..The company will be the big loser in the long run..NAP kept the quality of the F-Series very high and it will now suffer without NAP to contribute it's high quality numbers..on it's best day DTP can not compete with NAP...hell it took them 19 months to reach full line speed.....that's only 15 months late....I laugh when they talk about this plant being flexible...what a joke...remember this is the same work force that built the old Mustang...probably one of the worse quality vehicles in our recent history...why would they change?..all they did was move next door.....that plant has no incentive to accel...it was given to them in a national contract several years ago....it and it's mutli-million dollar grass roof.....while we are worried about $300. extra in shipping at the number one plant....what a joke...Mark Fields will do the same as Nasser..run it in the ground and walk away to another company with his pockets full of money

on it's best day DTP can not compete with NAP...hell it took them 19 months to reach full line speed.....that's only 15 months late....I laugh when they talk about this plant being flexible...what a joke...remember this is the same work force that built the old Mustang...probably one of the worse quality vehicles in our recent history...why would they change?..all they did was move next door.....that plant has no incentive to accel...

There is no reason to blame workers at other plants. Their jobs are important to them too. AND all plants received J. D. Powers awards and pats on the back as being the "best".

I would like to know where the UAW Regional 8 Director is? Two big plants in "his" Region 8 (Atlanta & NAP) announced to be closing and Gary Casteel is missing in action. What a joke he is!

NAP fate was set the day a few weeks ago when the retirement (forced) of Jim Padilla was announced. It had been rumored for many months since Fields took his new job working for Jim that they did not get along and he would be forced out. When it was announced the press release mention that the position would be absorbed by Bill Ford, so that made a clear path to between Bill and Fields....this is what Fields wanted....he cares nothing about quality...read his press releases...rarely mentions it...it was always Padilla that empathasised the need to maintain quality...Fields is a bean-counter...knows very little about operations....it is apparent to everyone that Fields will be Bill's replacement, so no one is going to cross him or his plans.NAP closure was supposed to be announced in Jan....but Padilla fought it because he knew the company would look foolish closing their best quality plant of it's number 1 selling vehicle.....this after spending 357 million dollars over the last 4 years and just having spent another 25 million for the ASRS building that has been in operation for 1 week..The company will be the big loser in the long run..NAP kept the quality of the F-Series very high and it will now suffer without NAP to contribute it's high quality numbers..on it's best day DTP can not compete with NAP...hell it took them 19 months to reach full line speed.....that's only 15 months late....I laugh when they talk about this plant being flexible...what a joke...remember this is the same work force that built the old Mustang...probably one of the worse quality vehicles in our recent history...why would they change?..all they did was move next door.....that plant has no incentive to accel...it was given to them in a national contract several years ago....it and it's mutli-million dollar grass roof.....while we are worried about $300. extra in shipping at the number one plant....what a joke...Mark Fields will do the same as Nasser..run it in the ground and walk away to another company with his pockets full of money

Yes I would like to see cold hard facts myself. As for your comment about the workforce at DTP being the same workforce as it was at DAP, you could not be more wrong and it shows how much you really know. And I would like to see how well NAP ran the first year it was opened as you are talking trash about how long it took to get DTP to full line speed. I am not talking when you started to build trucks but when the plant opened for the first vehicle.

Just one last thing bud your plant is not the only one they have spent money on recently. It is a write off in the end.....

Not sure about quality, but I know they are #3 on the 2005 Harbour Report in hours per vehicle in their segment. Specifically page 19. See link below:

Link to 2005 Harbour Report

post-11790-1145234858_thumb.jpg

You're right Kzinti. Norfolk is 3rd out of 3. That means last.

By the way, I understand you're at KCAP. Hope to see you soon as I will (hopefully) be transferring there from SLAP after they offer many of you buyout packages.

I hate to be a dick. But It's all about the PRODUCT.

Look at the plants that where shut....what do they all have in common?.... Funky old products (N.A.P. ....base F-150s aren't the money makers). We've all had our fair share of awards and citations.....but in the current climate we're just the unfortunate few to be making the wrong product at the wrong time. It really has nothing to do with quality, I'd like to think it did but No....it was about product.

In Fords infinite wisdom they chose not to invest in LINCOLN, they didn't update the taurus, ranger and explorer in a timely manor and in todays $3 a Gal. gas climate they didn't see the need for 3 plants making the F-150.

I do feel really bad for you NAP guy's, as well as the Slap, AAP, and TCAP people. But the simple fact remains.... FORD didn't update our product.....and we're all going to suffer because of it. :(

By the way, I understand you're at KCAP. Hope to see you soon as I will (hopefully) be transferring there from SLAP after they offer many of you buyout packages.

if you had taken your own advice and read this report you would have seen that in fact DTP is last in Ford and 12th out of 13 over all.....it's sad...DTP is almost 6 hours worse than the next Ford plant....and to make these numbers worse.....DTP has outsourced their IP build, front shock coil springs, rear axle buildup think how bad they would be if they added those people back in ...like NAP....they would probably be last...

Regardless of who builds what, better, or cheaper, or quicker, the fact of the whole matter is, if Ford does not come up with products and warrenties that people will accept, we are doomed. All of us. Maybe not now, maybe ten years from now, but doomed nonetheless. Truck sales alone will not save this company from destruction. We all know this. I think of my son and what he will do when he grows up. After what we are all going through right now, I sincerly hope he runs from the auto industry as a whole, unless someone in the "powers that be" wakes up and turns this thing around for the American people as a whole. And by that I mean the blue collar backbone of society: US! We all know where Toyota money returns to. So do the politicians. Yet the greed and power they possess has clouded their collective minds to point that they actually think that they are "helping" the working man/woman by "creating" so many new jobs. And the proposed immigration legislation on tap now threatens us even more because now that we have been left behind by our company, our future jobs will be the victim of the bottom line to corporate executives in their emerald cities far removed from the faces of THE PEOPLE WHO PUT THEM THERE TO BEGIN WITH!!!! I am just one person who might not have much of a voice, but, all of us together, wherever we may be, could at least be heard. I will talk to whomever will listen at the local and state level about jobs for AMERICANS!! I am not going to die from this. Everyone must resolve to rise above this. I am sure I'll need help and advise from people that have gone through what NAP is going through now. Maybe from some of these posts I hope. I am going to fight for all I am worth. I may not have a future with Ford, But, dammit I'm going to have future somewhere, I owe that to my family, and to the continued respect of my fellow union brothers and sisters. Have a great day!

Third out of the three above the average. (READ IT) Take note of the difference in man hours per unit between NAP and those below the average mark.

Look at the plants that where shut....what do they all have in common?.... Funky old products (N.A.P. ....base F-150s aren't the money makers). We've all had our fair share of awards and citations.....but in the current climate we're just the unfortunate few to be making the wrong product at the wrong time. It really has nothing to do with quality, I'd like to think it did but No....it was about product.

In Fords infinite wisdom they chose not to invest in LINCOLN, they didn't update the taurus, ranger and explorer in a timely manor and in todays $3 a Gal. gas climate they didn't see the need for 3 plants making the F-150.

I do feel really bad for you NAP guy's, as well as the Slap, AAP, and TCAP people. But the simple fact remains.... FORD didn't update our product.....and we're all going to suffer because of it. :(

If you consider 30 to $40,000 dollar trucks base model then I am missing something. We may build less high end units than others but I see plenty of FX4's STX's and Lariats rolling out the door. Besides if there was not a need for lower end units why are we still building 450+ each 8 hour shift.

hey ballsonya - i'll bet you a new crackpipe that a base model f150 still pulls more profit than most products we have. the f150's profits(either hi or low end units) have pulled pulled this company through many hard times - it ain't "old or funky" - its the bread and butter of his damn company. Norfolk is at a shipping disadvantage and no one wanted to update our paint dept. to make the full size 4 door so we are getting cut.

..on it's best day DTP can not compete with NAP...hell it took them 19 months to reach full line speed.....that's only 15 months late....

Hey NAPFIRST, you've got every right to say whatever you want on this or any other forum. But, personally, I don't see what's to gain by bashing other plants......Norfolk is the best or DTP is the best or KCTP is the best.....who cares? It doesn't really make any difference, NAP is the one they picked to close. I work at NAP and I'm as mad as anyone else but I'm not so sure it makes any sense to belittle the folks at other plants.

Whatever the "Million dollar Man" says goes, it's as simple as that. While I applaud and appreciate the efforts of our Governor, our Mayor and our Senators and Congressmen to take the trip to Detroit to try to talk him into changing his mind, Fields will chew them up and spit them out........

......I just want to offer my condolences to all the plants that are closing and to all those that will be closed(and don't think for a minute that Fields and company haven't already deciced who they are). To all the good people at NAP and all the other plants that have been 'struck down', I say, good luck and God bless all of you(us).........And to the lucky ones who don't lose their jobs and don't get shut down, I say, congratulations and God bless you too. We will be counting on you guys to keep this company going so we don't start losing our pensions as well as our jobs...........

Hey NAPFIRST, you've got every right to say whatever you want on this or any other forum. But, personally, I don't see what's to gain by bashing other plants......Norfolk is the best or DTP is the best or KCTP is the best.....who cares? It doesn't really make any difference, NAP is the one they picked to close. I work at NAP and I'm as mad as anyone else but I'm not so sure it makes any sense to belittle the folks at other plants.

Whatever the "Million dollar Man" says goes, it's as simple as that. While I applaud and appreciate the efforts of our Governor, our Mayor and our Senators and Congressmen to take the trip to Detroit to try to talk him into changing his mind, Fields will chew them up and spit them out........

......I just want to offer my condolences to all the plants that are closing and to all those that will be closed(and don't think for a minute that Fields and company haven't already deciced who they are). To all the good people at NAP and all the other plants that have been 'struck down', I say, good luck and God bless all of you(us).........And to the lucky ones who don't lose their jobs and don't get shut down, I say, congratulations and God bless you too. We will be counting on you guys to keep this company going so we don't start losing our pensions as well as our jobs...........

this is just the type of attitude that we don't need....roll-over a give up..."what will be ....will be"...we have nothing to lose by fighting for our jobs....you say you will be counting on the rest of the people to keep it going...that's napfirst's point exactly...the worst quality plant is stayiong open...that's not a personal attack on anyone in those plants...it's just the cold hard facts....you say it really doesn't make any difference..I beg to differ with you on that...why do you think the company measures plant's quality? Ford is barely holding on to sales leadership in the light truck segment...we can't afford to lose that distinction and still expect to sale 900K trucks....I say we fight for our survival....tell everyone in FMCO how good we are...nothing wrong with that and surely we have nothing more to lose!!

this is just the type of attitude that we don't need....roll-over a give up..."what will be ....will be"...we have nothing to lose by fighting for our jobs....you say you will be counting on the rest of the people to keep it going...that's napfirst's point exactly...the worst quality plant is stayiong open...that's not a personal attack on anyone in those plants...it's just the cold hard facts....you say it really doesn't make any difference..I beg to differ with you on that...why do you think the company measures plant's quality? Ford is barely holding on to sales leadership in the light truck segment...we can't afford to lose that distinction and still expect to sale 900K trucks....I say we fight for our survival....tell everyone in FMCO how good we are...nothing wrong with that and surely we have nothing more to lose!!

Have to agree on that.

You mention that NAP is the highest quality plant about umpteen times. Can you prove it with cold hard facts, without any rumors or hearsay?
be caeful what you ask for......latest warranty .....DTP 160...KC 136...NAP 103...DTP is 55% worse than NAP and KC is 32% worse.....what else do you want to know?

be caeful what you ask for......latest warranty .....DTP 160...KC 136...NAP 103...DTP is 55% worse than NAP and KC is 32% worse.....what else do you want to know?

I agree. Personally my time with Ford will be a bump in the road compared to most but I still own quite a bit of Ford stock. I would rather see a plant and workers who produce a quality product controlling my financial future. Personally I know which truck I will choose in the future and if that choice is reduced so as only the golden child is left then I guess I will be looking very closely at everything including the competition.

Why is it that Snapper tells Wal Mart that it will not jeopardize quality so they can sell cheaper but we will jeopardize our reputation over fictitious horseshit.

$300 a truck is something I hear all the time, well 6 manhours difference should mean we are building cheaper than the Golden child, way cheaper! How about the 800 employee difference to build less in an 8 hour shift? The list goes on and on.

Saw something in todays paper that Ford hasn't changed it's mind after announcing a plant closure in the last 10 years. Odds are not in our favor but, if NAP does indeed close, let it be the WORST decision ever made by Ford and haunt Fields & FORD forever! (Just my thoughts! Not meant to offend anyone!!!)

I agree. Personally my time with Ford will be a bump in the road compared to most but I still own quite a bit of Ford stock. I would rather see a plant and workers who produce a quality product controlling my financial future. Personally I know which truck I will choose in the future and if that choice is reduced so as only the golden child is left then I guess I will be looking very closely at everything including the competition.

Why is it that Snapper tells Wal Mart that it will not jeopardize quality so they can sell cheaper but we will jeopardize our reputation over fictitious horseshit.

$300 a truck is something I hear all the time, well 6 manhours difference should mean we are building cheaper than the Golden child, way cheaper! How about the 800 employee difference to build less in an 8 hour shift? The list goes on and on.

I don't think he is taking the roll over and give up attitude. I don't understand what bashing all the other plants will benefit anyone. It's not going to keep the plants that are closed or is planned to be closed open. It seems that people are taking out their anger in the wrong direction. The deadbeats need to go..That is where the focus needs to be. Getting the rules or contract changed so they can start getting rid of them. I personally know people that stay home more than they actually walk through the front door of the ford plant. Then maybe the people that want to still have a job at Ford will be able to transfer to one of these plants that they are bashing. None of us know what the future is going to hold. I know the plant that my hubby is working at hasn't been mentioned at all, but I am far from sitting back thinking that he is safe. I just know that I am getting our ducks in a row, because who knows what is going to happen tomorrow. I am not counting on Ford feeding my family for the next 30 years. I am back in school myself so I know that if he loses his job tomorrow I will be able to make up the difference. Don't get me wrong I have been vary grateful to Ford allowing me to stay home and be an at home mom when I choose to, but I don't see that in my future. I know that I am going to school to get a degree in the medical field, because I really don't see those jobs being shipped to Mexico.. I wish everyone the best..I remember living through this in the 80's when my dad was laid off from GM. The big difference was there was no GEN, no buyouts. You would get unemployment and that was it. I watched them sell everything that they could just so they could feed us kids. I never remember my dad or any of his union brothers/sisters bash the people that still had a job, or the plants that they worked at. I know a lot of people will be making some life changing decision, especially if the buyouts become company wide. I know that it is an option that we are looking into, if it will be allowed at his plants. So just maybe enough people will take these buyouts and let the ones who want to ride it out with Ford stay with Ford. Who knows you may end up at one if those non-quality plants..Again I wish everyone nothing but the best. I am a firm believer that we are in this together. I have been raised union and still have that solidarity mentality. Even if we think the union is bending over the worker and shoving up their a*& just to keep themselves a float. We the workers need to stick together. Not to long ago there was a protest I guess you would call it n downtown Detroit. I took my children there because I wanted them to see what it means to be in a union family. (my grandfather, my father, many aunts and uncles) and there was only a handful of people. Maybe we are not sticking together enough to get some of the things that need to be changed-changed. :fan: :banghead:

Jshep, I agree that bashing anyone will help anybodies situation. I hope that all the plants will continue to do well and make some money. My father is retired and I hope to secure his future. I still feel it silly to put your future into the basket just for its looks or heritage. I understand it's a business and they can do as they please, but the uaw needs to wake up and at least clarify the rumors. Region 8 should be done away with and the money used for better purpose. I can see your point that fight probably won't do any good, but not all of us have over 28 years.....

Napfriend you are exactly correct on all points. It is not bashing others to state the facts.

I have never worked for Ford but grew up in Chesapeake not far from NAP and the quality of their product and pride of the work force is well known in this area. When I heard the closing announcment I said "what the hell is Ford doing!" What's the reasoning NAP must close? $300 per truck transportation cost! NAP more than makes up for that in fewer warranty claims and higher productivity. This is not a sound business desision by Ford.

It is recognized Ford must close a number of plants the question is which ones and why, if thousands of people are going to lose their jobs then Ford had better have a damn good reason to give them. That's where the discussion about other plants compaired to NAP comes in and it is a sensitive topic because it brings up facts that other plants do not want to face.

In this case it appears doing the best job gets you fired. The next time you hear that Ford slogan "Quality is job one" remember the numbers posted above and think about the NAP decision.

I needed a truck in June '03 and wanted the new generation '04 F-150 but production had not begun and I could not take delivery for several months so I bought a new KTP '03 F-250. It has been a fine truck and towed my 8000lb boat well.

After hearing of the plant closing announcment I decided to go get what I wanted. Last wednesday I took delivery of my new '06 F-150 super cab 4X4 5.4L that was BUILT IN NORFOLK. Guess I'll have to change my screen name now.

To all the people at NAP thanks for the great truck and fight to win, never give up. Continue to build the best and if the worst happens you can say you went out on top with pride.

Napfriend you are exactly correct on all points. It is not bashing others to state the facts.

I have never worked for Ford but grew up in Chesapeake not far from NAP and the quality of their product and pride of the work force is well known in this area. When I heard the closing announcment I said "what the hell is Ford doing!" What's the reasoning NAP must close? $300 per truck transportation cost! NAP more than makes up for that in fewer warranty claims and higher productivity. This is not a sound business desision by Ford.

It is recognized Ford must close a number of plants the question is which ones and why, if thousands of people are going to lose their jobs then Ford had better have a damn good reason to give them. That's where the discussion about other plants compaired to NAP comes in and it is a sensitive topic because it brings up facts that other plants do not want to face.

In this case it appears doing the best job gets you fired. The next time you hear that Ford slogan "Quality is job one" remember the numbers posted above and think about the NAP decision.

I needed a truck in June '03 and wanted the new generation '04 F-150 but production had not begun and I could not take delivery for several months so I bought a new KTP '03 F-250. It has been a fine truck and towed my 8000lb boat well.

After hearing of the plant closing announcment I decided to go get what I wanted. Last wednesday I took delivery of my new '06 F-150 super cab 4X4 5.4L that was BUILT IN NORFOLK. Guess I'll have to change my screen name now.

To all the people at NAP thanks for the great truck and fight to win, never give up. Continue to build the best and if the worst happens you can say you went out on top with pride.

let me be the first to say THANK YOU!!! it's loyal cumtomers like you that have help to keep this plant open through the years...people who "buy Norfolk"...support your neighbors...that quality is being lost in America now...and it's getting particularly worse in this region....there's a local bank here that runs commericals about being the "home-town" bank.....then you look and their comapny cars are Volkswagens... that's sad.

:doh: :fan: :sos:

What will be happening on the top floor in Dearborn when they get the warranty #'s @ shutdown in 2 months from NAP.....anybody care to guess bad they will be ?

Talk about falling off a cliff !

You can already see it in the faces throughout the plant.

2400 of the best damn people at what they do saying in 1 loud voice !

Piss Off Ford !

Give me my money !

Im outta here ! :happy feet: