Would it be possible to produce a hybrid Mustang?

I've been preaching for hybrid mustangs, half jokingly, for about 5 years now. It would definitely take some development work, but as to the potential of the technology, Ford could position this wherever they want in terms of performance vs mileage. My guess is the market is there for a Mustang with V6-like power and 30-35mpg, using a 4-banger plus electric. That said, an F-150 would probably rather have a V6 hybrid drivetrain, so that would give you power numbers closer to the current GT.

I spout this off pretty often, but anyone doubting the potential of a performance electric drivetrain in a mustang needs to know about this thing:

img_0541.jpg

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/04/17/tj...or-all-electri/

1000lbs-ft at 0rpm. 0-60 in 3.9 seconds. 110 mile range.

I give at most 5 years before we see a production mustang with an electric motor somewhere in the drivetrain.

I've been preaching for hybrid mustangs, half jokingly, for about 5 years now. It would definitely take some development work, but as to the potential of the technology, Ford could position this wherever they want in terms of performance vs mileage. My guess is the market is there for a Mustang with V6-like power and 30-35mpg, using a 4-banger plus electric. That said, an F-150 would probably rather have a V6 hybrid drivetrain, so that would give you power numbers closer to the current GT.

I spout this off pretty often, but anyone doubting the potential of a performance electric drivetrain in a mustang needs to know about this thing:

img_0541.jpg

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/04/17/tj...or-all-electri/

1000lbs-ft at 0rpm. 0-60 in 3.9 seconds. 110 mile range.

I give at most 5 years before we see a production mustang with an electric motor somewhere in the drivetrain.

Ford could pull the rug out from under the Camaro by putting out an OEM version of this. But it looks like it's too expensive.

Ahh, I love this topic. Like someone said before, a hybrid can be positioned anywhere you want it to be in the performance spectrum. It just depends on if you want to save fuel or boost performance. However, we have to rememeber the Honda Accord hybrid V6 program. They tried to balance it to deliver 4 cylinder fuel economy with v6 power. Trouble is, with the added weight, it handled poorly. If you tried to drive it with spirit like you would the V6, it didn't achieve 4 cylinder fuel economy and barely achieved regular V6 performance. If you tried to drive it for economy purposes, it was barely faster than the 4 cylinder, didn't really match its economy, and was still a pig in the weight department.

I predict things will go like this for the Mustang.

[Calendar dates, not model years]

Late 2010

Base V6: D35

GT V8: 5.0L Coyote

2011: EB V6 (TT D35) as an S.E.

2012: EB 2.0L replaces base D35 V6 (or, if the plant is flexible enough, gets added as another option).

2013: Next Redesign, introduces a Hybrid powerpack based around the EB 1.6L I4, LiIon batteries and possibly a supercapcitor supplementer. This will likely be a Plug-In hybrid. IT could also be a series hybrid like the Volt in that the engine never mechanically powers the wheels. The main enabler for this is that the next generation ranger will also need to be a hybrid, which will enable the justification for development of such a system. The ranger and the mustang will forever share a lot of simmilarities in the powertrain department for ease of development purposes.

Much of this hinges on what Obama and the democrat controlled legislative branch try to do with CAFE and emissions regs. I've concluded that they will just eventually make it effectively California Emissions for all, including CO2, which will just end-around cafe and enforce draconian mpg requirements on all of Detroit. The exceptions given to the imports will be laughable in their obvious pandering.

As a current V8 Mustang owner I say YES! I would be very interested. Becuase of the toruque of electric motors it could actually be quicker 0-60 than a V8 and get better mileage when driving around town. Who wouldn't consider this?! How is this that much differnt than the hybrid SUVs GM sells now?!

Ahh, I love this topic. Like someone said before, a hybrid can be positioned anywhere you want it to be in the performance spectrum. It just depends on if you want to save fuel or boost performance. However, we have to rememeber the Honda Accord hybrid V6 program. They tried to balance it to deliver 4 cylinder fuel economy with v6 power. Trouble is, with the added weight, it handled poorly. If you tried to drive it with spirit like you would the V6, it didn't achieve 4 cylinder fuel economy and barely achieved regular V6 performance. If you tried to drive it for economy purposes, it was barely faster than the 4 cylinder, didn't really match its economy, and was still a pig in the weight department.

I predict things will go like this for the Mustang.

[Calendar dates, not model years]

Late 2010

Base V6: D35

GT V8: 5.0L Coyote

2011: EB V6 (TT D35) as an S.E.

2012: EB 2.0L replaces base D35 V6 (or, if the plant is flexible enough, gets added as another option).

2013: Next Redesign, introduces a Hybrid powerpack based around the EB 1.6L I4, LiIon batteries and possibly a supercapcitor supplementer. This will likely be a Plug-In hybrid. IT could also be a series hybrid like the Volt in that the engine never mechanically powers the wheels. The main enabler for this is that the next generation ranger will also need to be a hybrid, which will enable the justification for development of such a system. The ranger and the mustang will forever share a lot of simmilarities in the powertrain department for ease of development purposes.

Much of this hinges on what Obama and the democrat controlled legislative branch try to do with CAFE and emissions regs. I've concluded that they will just eventually make it effectively California Emissions for all, including CO2, which will just end-around cafe and enforce draconian mpg requirements on all of Detroit. The exceptions given to the imports will be laughable in their obvious pandering.

To be practical, the 1.6L EB Serial Hybrid would be the way to go.

What I think people are looking for is a 5.0L high output engine with good Fuel efficiency. In this case, there are cheaper ways to go than a hybrid.