Mercury Messenger?

• 3 weeks later...

I would love to see a next-gen Cougar look a lot like the Messenger (or the Reflex...minus the three bar grille) based on the C2 platform with optional AWD and a range of powerful ecoboost I4s. It would give Ford a futuristic sporty car that does not have to fit the Mustang thing...however cool the Mustang is, many people still want a modern styling and performance formula. A new Cougar should really focus on awesome dynamics and fuel effiecent performance. I saw the Messenger at NAIAS years ago and loved it. It could do well, espeically as a hardtop convertible, in the marketplace at the right price.

• 2 weeks later...
Wanted to start this post for awhile now, does anyone know what platform the messenger was made out of? New Mustang? Was it suppose to become New Cougar?

If I'm being correct, the Mercury Messenger Concept goes back to a time when Ford was still producing concepts that had little if anything to do with actual production vehicles being developed. I remember reading recently that sometime after the Interceptor Concept, I believe, was shown, Alan Mulally questioned as to when the production version was expected to be ready. When the answer was that there was no set plan to build the car, it sort of made the idea of building frivolous concepts impractical. About the Messenger, whatever Ford's intent with the car was, it never manifested. It was supposed to be a RWD, two-seat, 4.6L DOHC V8-powered sports car with an aluminum chassis and body panels (in other words, unlike any Mercury in recent history at the time). If anything, the Messenger sounds like the Ford GT conceptually as a sort of supercar, but it wasn't mid-engine, not to mention the fact that the wheelbase and exterior dimensions were all different. Stylistically, no production Mercury that I've seen made since the Messenger was shown in 2003 looks like the Messenger at all, inside or out. It's a shame really. The whole aluminum chassis part may have been a stretch, but the idea of a two-seat sports car for Mercury still sounds cool. Mercury needs something anyway. It seems like there's so much potential that's just been squandered on rebadges.

• 2 weeks later...