Help !!

I'm going to buy an f-250 for both work and personal use. I tow a 2700lb boat but also plan on getting a slide in camper (1500-2000lb).

My question is do I need the diesel? Everything I've read says the mileage on the 6.4l is virtually the same as the gas motor(s) with the truck empty and if diesel is a dollar more a gallon it doesn't make sense. I'll be using the truck empty or slightly loaded 80% of the time.

When the truck is loaded and towing will the gas motor have enough to keep me moving up a hill on the freeway?

I don't care about initial cost difference or any noise difference between diesel and gas.

Any ideas??

The diesel will get better mileage in town and highway even with the DPF(diesel particulate filter), but with such a small load you're towing the $7,000 is NOT justified. Before my leveling kit and larger tires I was getting 13 city, 17-18 highway. All my gasser friends get 10-11 city, 14 highway. You can buy lots of gas for that kind of money. Plus your maintenence cost are way lower on the gasser. Don't listen to the diesel has higher resale claims, there is no resale for trucks anymore. You better buy it to use it and not sell it for a while.

Fuel cost vary with the time of the year. Right now diesel is cheaper than 87 octane in most areas. Not the case in Summer.

If you are going gas, DO NOT get the V8. The V-10 is your only option. The truck weighs 8,000lbs. You will need the grunt of the V-10. Remember though. The gas motor will tow just fine, but you will still need to stab the throttle to climb large hills. That's just the way it is. The motors are tough and will be just fine being hammered for a few minutes while climbing. On flat land the gasser is more than capable.

Edited by Hydro

The diesel will get better mileage in town and highway even with the DPF(diesel particulate filter), but with such a small load you're towing the $7,000 is NOT justified. Before my leveling kit and larger tires I was getting 13 city, 17-18 highway. All my gasser friends get 10-11 city, 14 highway. You can buy lots of gas for that kind of money. Plus your maintenence cost are way lower on the gasser. Don't listen to the diesel has higher resale claims, there is no resale for trucks anymore. You better buy it to use it and not sell it for a while.

Fuel cost vary with the time of the year. Right now diesel is cheaper than 87 octane in most areas. Not the case in Summer.

If you are going gas, DO NOT get the V8. The V-10 is your only option. The truck weighs 8,000lbs. You will need the grunt of the V-10. Remember though. The gas motor will tow just fine, but you will still need to stab the throttle to climb large hills. That's just the way it is. The motors are tough and will be just fine being hammered for a few minutes while climbing. On flat land the gasser is more than capable.

So you're happy with the 6.4l? 17-18 highway is a lot better than what I was reading. I'll be keeping the truck 8-10 years and I'll be doing my own maintenance. Like I said I don't really care about the added up front cost difference. Diesel by me (Jersey) is still more expensive than 87. I put 89 in everything I drive anyway (except the Stang). So it's down to V10 vs. 6.4l

Thanks for the advice!!

I don't understand why you say that upfront cost is not an issue. The comparable V10 to diesel, is a $5000 difference, if you get auto's in both. They use the same basic automatic.

$5000 makes up for a hell of a lot of gasoline, in the lifetime of the truck. Plus, you don't have to deal with the particle filter garbage, on the diesel.

Remember that diesel emissions are in their infancy. 10 years from now, it may be a different story............. but right now, this makes a big difference. Your fuel economy, with the diesel, will be highly dependent on where you live. If you are in colder country, it goes down, as it regens more.

My husband drives big truck, and is a huge diesel fan. We bought a 2008 V10 F250. He did alot of research, before we sprung.............. and we LOVE this truck, and this engine. 5400 miles, and she is really starting to wake up. I can't wait to see how she is after 10K miles.

BTW, we will probably keep this truck forever also. It is my daily driver, but I have 5400 miles on it, in almost 9 months. Thus, the fuel economy thing was not a big deal. The maintenance, and emissions on the diesel was a BIG deal.

I have a 04 Excursion with the V10 not even the new more powerfull 3V 10.

I have towed up to 12K behind the truck power is not an issue 9K skid steer on a 3K 22ft heavy duty trailer they is plenty of grunt in the V10. If your towing that kind of weight in mountainous terrain then the diesel is a must.

But for what your towing you will hadly even notice the weight behind the truck. Pulling the 3K trailer behind the Excursion I do not even know it is there.

A cold Air intake will be worth a couple MPG on the hyway and some ponies.

In the 8000 Lb Excursion I see 10-11 city and 14-16 hyway. And it certainly weights more than a pick up.

They only way the diesel is worth buying is if you going to be towing regualrly. Other than that you will never recover the higher intitial cost or the higher mait costs in fuel savings.

Matthew

Thanks everybody!! I'm going to go with the V10 and see how it goes, if I need a little more power I'll get the cold air intake and lower restriction muffler. Now all I have to do is find one. :idea:

Extreme 4X4 all I meant by cost wasn't a concern was I wanted the best power and mileage for my application. That was more important to me than up front cost.

69, I think that is a criteria for most of us. Sorry if I misunderstood.

Thus the reason for the V10, over .............. say .............. the 5.4.

My truck weighs close to 8000lbs also (see my sig). My mileage is very much like matthews, yet I have alot more power, with the 3 valve V10.

It really is a great engine. Go to some of the Ford truck forums, and read about the V10's. People love them. They really are a work engine, and with a light load, like what you will be towing, the truck truly will not even know the trailer is back there. Add to that the Tow command, and you have one major towing SOAG.

A funny for you. Our 7-year-old son, is a mini motorhead. Since the engine has really started to wake up with the miles (do not let your initial impression cloud your vision of the V10. They are EXTREMELY tight from the factory).................. the growl, when you get on it, has gotten more pronounced (the K&N helped with that, also............... major PITA to install). The other day, I had to get on it, due to traffic. My son, in the back seat, goes "Wow mama, this sounds like a Mustang!!!!"

I almost couldn't drive, from laughing so hard.

Something interesting on our CrewCab. The weight distribution is such, that the truck does not spin tires. You floor it, the nose comes up, the tail goes down, and it just goes. It really is kind of funny.............. and makes you think you are driving something that does NOT weigh almost 8000lbs. LOL

Edited by Extreme4x4

69, I think that is a criteria for most of us. Sorry if I misunderstood.

Thus the reason for the V10, over .............. say .............. the 5.4.

My truck weighs close to 8000lbs also (see my sig). My mileage is very much like matthews, yet I have alot more power, with the 3 valve V10.

It really is a great engine. Go to some of the Ford truck forums, and read about the V10's. People love them. They really are a work engine, and with a light load, like what you will be towing, the truck truly will not even know the trailer is back there. Add to that the Tow command, and you have one major towing SOAG.

A funny for you. Our 7-year-old son, is a mini motorhead. Since the engine has really started to wake up with the miles (do not let your initial impression cloud your vision of the V10. They are EXTREMELY tight from the factory).................. the growl, when you get on it, has gotten more pronounced (the K&N helped with that, also............... major PITA to install). The other day, I had to get on it, due to traffic. My son, in the back seat, goes "Wow mama, this sounds like a Mustang!!!!"

I almost couldn't drive, from laughing so hard.

Something interesting on our CrewCab. The weight distribution is such, that the truck does not spin tires. You floor it, the nose comes up, the tail goes down, and it just goes. It really is kind of funny.............. and makes you think you are driving something that does NOT weigh almost 8000lbs. LOL

I have a daughter who just turned three and I've had her under my Mustang already!! Pass on the Ford Gene !!! I'll post pictures when I get the truck!!!

That would be great.

Corey has already said that a Mustang will be his first car.

He also said he would buy one for me. LOL

When he first started talking, some of the first things he could do, is point to car parts................ in picture, or in person, and say what they are. Think "wheels, steering wheel, shifter, tires, etc."