08 F250 - 6.4 White Smoke

rolandmw

Hello,

I have a 2008 F250 6.4. I received a notification to have my computer updated along with a radiator check. I took it to the dealer to have this maintenance performed.

Now I've noticed that during hard acceleration white smoke comes out of the tail pipe and the engine acts like it is starved for fuel and stumbles. There is no indication that Regen is occuring on the dash and this happens after hours of interstate driving, so the engine is thoroughly warmed up.

Is this normal?

Thanks,

Roland

I don't know about the sputtering, but the smoke may be just a little ash that gets past the DPF on or after regens. Remember, if you are on the highway the truck will sometimes perform a passive regen. It won't show up on your dash as a regen, it just happens. So when you are off the freeway and step on it, it could be the white/gray smoke that's associated with the f*cked up regens.

• 1 month later...

Have the same problem with white smoke, chugging coughing after slowing from highway speeds to exit then accelerating back to highway speeds. Started intermittantly early around 5000 miles, now at 33000 happened 5 times on 500 mile trip. Also recently happend at slower speed after exiting highway and once when cold accelerating to highway speed. Causes truck to go into regen shortly after because of the amount of exhaust smoke. This is third time to dealer for this and nothing shows up, they don't know what is wrong. Found out after this post that ford is aware of this problem in TSC 08-25-1. They will be replacing the charge air cooler tomorrow.

1.radiator leak

2.seat bracket fix

3.pcm update

4.oil leak

5.replace radiator

5.2 coolant tee install

6.replace oil pump

7. 2nd pcm update

8. change charge air cooler

9. At 52000 miles EGR valve went. Dealer ordered parts and said was OK to drive. Wrong, they had to come get it when it died and would not restart.

10. replaced right rear caliper account stuck in applied position 66000 miles.

11. radiator leaking again at 68000 miles. Dealer is replacing radiator and thermostats.

12. 69000 miles, changed leaking front crank case gasket.

My first new ford truck was in 1978. This 2008 will be the last ford I EVER buy. Tried to get Ford to buy truck back, no deal.

TSB_08_25_1.pdf

Edited by nothappy

• 8 months later...

Hello,

I have a 2008 F250 6.4. I received a notification to have my computer updated along with a radiator check. I took it to the dealer to have this maintenance performed.

Now I've noticed that during hard acceleration white smoke comes out of the tail pipe and the engine acts like it is starved for fuel and stumbles. There is no indication that Regen is occuring on the dash and this happens after hours of interstate driving, so the engine is thoroughly warmed up.

Is this normal?

Thanks,

Roland