2.3 or 2.5L Ford Ranger 4x4

ericgrau

It used to be offered with a 4cyl 4x4 combo with the last 4cyl. and that engine was weaker. I would definitely buy a ranger today if I could get a 4cyl.

Too heavy and too weak. You would either have to gear it very low, so it could accelerate, and then the gas mileage would drop. Its not worth the investment. Maybe a shortbed 4x4 with small 15" wheels could be possible.

The big problem is consumers tend to not purchase vehicles that can not make 0-60 in atleast 11 seconds. My father 2.3ltr 2x4 5 speed stick shift ranger is a perfect example 0-60 is 13 seconds do to poor gearing (3:23). He pisses off all the traffic behind me everytime he hit the highway. He was very disappointed in that truck till we regeared it. (3:73) Since changing the ring gear the truck now can make a 10.5 second 0-60 and is alot more confortable to drive.

Most the more recent 4cly rangers ford built were automatics with 4:10 gearing. They were decent trucks until you loaded them down with alot of weight. I think they were almost the perfect parts runners.

You should just wait for the T6 to arrive, a Eco-boosted turbo 1.8ltr and a eco-boosted turbo 2.5 ltr are comming. I'm still not sure if they will build a 1.8ltr eco-boosted 4x4 as the torque to weight ratio would be rather low.

• 9 months later...

Too heavy and too weak. You would either have to gear it very low, so it could accelerate, and then the gas mileage would drop. Its not worth the investment. Maybe a shortbed 4x4 with small 15" wheels could be possible.

The big problem is consumers tend to not purchase vehicles that can not make 0-60 in atleast 11 seconds. My father 2.3ltr 2x4 5 speed stick shift ranger is a perfect example 0-60 is 13 seconds do to poor gearing (3:23). He pisses off all the traffic behind me everytime he hit the highway. He was very disappointed in that truck till we regeared it. (3:73) Since changing the ring gear the truck now can make a 10.5 second 0-60 and is alot more confortable to drive.

Most the more recent 4cly rangers ford built were automatics with 4:10 gearing. They were decent trucks until you loaded them down with alot of weight. I think they were almost the perfect parts runners.

You should just wait for the T6 to arrive, a Eco-boosted turbo 1.8ltr and a eco-boosted turbo 2.5 ltr are comming. I'm still not sure if they will build a 1.8ltr eco-boosted 4x4 as the torque to weight ratio would be rather low.

Ecoboost 2.0 will have no problem moving a 4x4 T6. The EB 1.6 liter considering its torque curve may be ok for a shortbed 4x4.

• 7 months later...