Saw this over at the DCX forum

Is Ford cooperating with anyone or are they trying to go at it alone? Just curious. I know nothing about hybrids.

DCX, GM, BMW Introduce New Hybrid Technology

Considering that Ford was actulally the first suv to market with the Escape hybrid I'd say they know a little. The problem is the lead on it left Ford for greener pastures.... I can't remember her name, anyone help?

I still think the geared drives will fade away- traction is more flexible and more efficient, but gotta say the daimler tranny looks pretty good.

heres a link to metallic traction drives used in machine tools...

http://www.shimpodrives.com/rxc.html

heres a snippet:

16 basic sizes, available as a stand alone unit or combined with speed reducers

Input power range from 1/8 HP (.1 kW) to 40 HP (30 kW)

Output speed range from 0 - 800 RPM

Output torque range from 5 in. lbs. (0.56 Nm) to 177,500 in. lbs. (20,040 Nm)

theyve been proven, and true variable ratio clear down to zero output speed(could even reverse by changing diameters slightly). couple this with flywheel input, hybrid power sources to spool it up, combined regenerative braking by respooling flywheel and/or recharging batteries, and I think the ultimate efficient package could be had. What makes daimlers look good is using gear ratio to boost electric torque if needed- but variable ratio from zero speed could do the same even more efficiently- every time you shift gears otherwise you need to waste energy spooling up rotating mass of engine/torque converter/tranny/hybrid rotor components if on input side...variable ratio from zero output gives increased torque multiplication to get it moving, and constant speed of input mass wastes less energy than 'shifting gears'.Machine tool applications have only resulted in units capable of around 30 hp, but just because that is the market. no reason one couldnt be built to handle 500 hp. strong regenerative braking though really calls for AWD- perhaps a 30 hp metallic traction gearbox hub at each wheel would make sense? who knows, but I'm betting this will be migrating to cars soon- too many good reasons as to why it would evolve into most efficient drive available.

Edited by ford4v429

I still think the geared drives will fade away- traction is more flexible and more efficient, but gotta say the daimler tranny looks pretty good.

heres a link to metallic traction drives used in machine tools...

http://www.shimpodrives.com/rxc.html

heres a snippet:

16 basic sizes, available as a stand alone unit or combined with speed reducers

Input power range from 1/8 HP (.1 kW) to 40 HP (30 kW)

Output speed range from 0 - 800 RPM

Output torque range from 5 in. lbs. (0.56 Nm) to 177,500 in. lbs. (20,040 Nm)

theyve been proven, and true variable ratio clear down to zero output speed(could even reverse by changing diameters slightly). couple this with flywheel input, hybrid power sources to spool it up, combined regenerative braking by respooling flywheel and/or recharging batteries, and I think the ultimate efficient package could be had. What makes daimlers look good is using gear ratio to boost electric torque if needed- but variable ratio from zero speed could do the same even more efficiently- every time you shift gears otherwise you need to waste energy spooling up rotating mass of engine/torque converter/tranny/hybrid rotor components if on input side...variable ratio from zero output gives increased torque multiplication to get it moving, and constant speed of input mass wastes less energy than 'shifting gears'.Machine tool applications have only resulted in units capable of around 30 hp, but just because that is the market. no reason one couldnt be built to handle 500 hp. strong regenerative braking though really calls for AWD- perhaps a 30 hp metallic traction gearbox hub at each wheel would make sense? who knows, but I'm betting this will be migrating to cars soon- too many good reasons as to why it would evolve into most efficient drive available.

uh....what? :headscratch: