HID Install in 2010 Fusion Sport

pcsgrp35se

IF I get a chance today I may unplug them to see if I get a warning. I really don't mind if they are on because I know it will elminate any problem.

I just did some looking and it appears they got rid of the BOW in the 2009 Fusion. There's no mention of the alarm in the '09/'10 owners manual. But it's there in the 2008 manual.

So I think it's ok to not have them on the 2010. Not scientific, but just an educated guess ;)

Well, I ordered my kit and it arrived today so I decided to give it whirl. Man are things tight around those lights!!! I was able to get the drivers side relatively easily. It was the passenger side that was a PITA! I took pcsgrp's idea and pulled the engine coolant tank out of the way and was able to squeeze my hand between the sheet metal and electric steering motor.

Got them all installed, fired up the lights and WOW!! They were perfect. So I went to pull the car out of the garage and when I started the engine the lights blinked twice then went out. Needless to say I was perplexed. I confirmed that they work when the engine is off. They only blink and go out when the engine is running. So it appears that the 2010 V6 does require the BOW kit :(

So now my quandary is this...

Do I order the BOW kit or do I try and upgrade to the 55W kit?

Grrrrrrr........

You must not have a sport since I have hydraulic steering and the others have the electronic steering unit. My ABS pump is behind the passanger side light. I think if you have daytime running lights, they may not work well and I think you need to put in a relay and not use the regular headlight wires. I didn't have that problem so it never popped up. I have the BOW kit so I can't tell if there is an issue. If your car does not have daytime running lights, then perhaps they are not pulling enough amps to light them up but that doesn't make sense to me.

One important thing I found out this weekend. You need to use duct tape or equivlant when you put on the dust covers other wise they do vibrate off and water can get into the light housing, it happened to me. I just took some strips of duct tape and after putting the dust cover on snug, taped it to the headlight housing. I also had to leave the high beams on for about 10 minutes to dry out the moisture from the housing and now everything is ok

Well, I ordered my kit and it arrived today so I decided to give it whirl. Man are things tight around those lights!!! I was able to get the drivers side relatively easily. It was the passenger side that was a PITA! I took pcsgrp's idea and pulled the engine coolant tank out of the way and was able to squeeze my hand between the sheet metal and electric steering motor.

Got them all installed, fired up the lights and WOW!! They were perfect. So I went to pull the car out of the garage and when I started the engine the lights blinked twice then went out. Needless to say I was perplexed. I confirmed that they work when the engine is off. They only blink and go out when the engine is running. So it appears that the 2010 V6 does require the BOW kit :(

So now my quandary is this...

Do I order the BOW kit or do I try and upgrade to the 55W kit?

Grrrrrrr........

BOW's are only for the warning on the dash. It sounds like your HID's are blinking and going out? Are you plugged straight into the cars wiring harness or did you use a battery relay harness?

It turns out the computer was shutting them off because it figured there was a bulb out or a malfunction due to the HID's. So I ordered a "Anti-flicker" kit off eBay and installed them tonight. Works like a charm :)

It's going to take some getting used to the greater light output! B)

It turns out the computer was shutting them off because it figured there was a bulb out or a malfunction due to the HID's. So I ordered a "Anti-flicker" kit off eBay and installed them tonight. Works like a charm :)

Who/where did you buy the HID's from? I haven't heard of them shutting off before.

Who/where did you buy the HID's from? I haven't heard of them shutting off before.

I got my HID kit from DDMTuning.

The "Anti-flicker" kit is basically just a capacitor that's put inline between the main head lamp plug and the ballast. I think the reason why some don't have that issue with the Fusion is because they have the capacitor built in.

I dunno...

But they work now :)

Glad to see the problem resolved.

Thank you for the suggestion to do the passenger side from the top. I took a look at in the wheel well and that would have been a PITA!! :D

I'm going to be working tonight so I'll get to test them out on the roadway.

• 1 month later...

After a few months of living with 6000k bulbs, I switched to 5000k bulbs over the weekend. For some reason, the 6k ones looked a little more purple then I wanted and I think that is because of the elepsoid housing and the tinted headlight cover. After relacing the 6k with 5k, I noticed there was still a blue tint to the lights but not that purple I had before. As I indicated, it must be the the tinted headlight that causes the color shift because when you look at the 6k lights outside of the headlight assembly, it is exactly what I was looking for in color after I put on the 5k bulbs.

• 1 month later...
After a few months of living with 6000k bulbs, I switched to 5000k bulbs over the weekend. For some reason, the 6k ones looked a little more purple then I wanted and I think that is because of the elepsoid housing and the tinted headlight cover. After relacing the 6k with 5k, I noticed there was still a blue tint to the lights but not that purple I had before. As I indicated, it must be the the tinted headlight that causes the color shift because when you look at the 6k lights outside of the headlight assembly, it is exactly what I was looking for in color after I put on the 5k bulbs.

Any regrets on the bulb change? Did you use the same company as your original purchase? Still loking to get HID in before snow flies...L8R-

Any regrets on the bulb change? Did you use the same company as your original purchase? Still loking to get HID in before snow flies...L8R-

No regrets at all changing to the 5000k bulbs. I just didn't want that more blueish tint which I think the slightly smoked headlight housing gives to the 6000k bulbs. Got them from the same place, quick service and the install went the same way, a snap on the driver side but a pain on the passanger side. That reminds me, I have to check out if the dust covers are still in place, I did have a problem with them falling off because I had to cut a slit in the bottom to get the wires thru.

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the process of considering a 2010 Fusion Sport. I am stunned that they didn't just include HID lighting as an option! (They finally went the extra mile for projectors at least!)

So of course, before considering the vehicle I wanted to see if I could easily put in some HIDs to make the car "perfect." This thread is PERFECT and props to the OP for writing up instructions and posting pictures!

I am in the process of considering a 2010 Fusion Sport. I am stunned that they didn't just include HID lighting as an option! (They finally went the extra mile for projectors at least!)

So of course, before considering the vehicle I wanted to see if I could easily put in some HIDs to make the car "perfect." This thread is PERFECT and props to the OP for writing up instructions and posting pictures!

Having had the opportunity to drive in front of cars with HID headlights on my recent around-Lake-Erie roadtrip, it is my opinion that HID headlamps are bad for safety. Sure, they might give you greater visibility. They also blind the driver ahead of you, which will create greater likelihood of a multicar collision involving you.

Having had the opportunity to drive in front of cars with HID headlights on my recent around-Lake-Erie roadtrip, it is my opinion that HID headlamps are bad for safety. Sure, they might give you greater visibility. They also blind the driver ahead of you, which will create greater likelihood of a multicar collision involving you.

You sir, are beating a dead horse. This thread's purpose is not to discuss your opinion on HID lights. If HID headlamps resulted in negative impact on vehicular safety, don't you think the DOT would deny them for use at all? There are many many articles disproving the information you state. When you have facts to back up your claims of "create greater likelihood of a multicar collision", then start a new thread and inform everyone. :banghead:

Edited by Y2KFirehawk

You sir, are beating a dead horse. This thread's purpose is not to discuss your opinion on HID lights. If HID headlamps resulted in negative impact on vehicular safety, don't you think the DOT would deny them for use at all? There are many many articles disproving the information you state. When you have facts to back up your claims of "create greater likelihood of a multicar collision", then start a new thread and inform everyone. :banghead:

Oh, the thread's purpose is not to discuss my opinion? Funny:

1. You didn't initiate the thread, so you have no idea what's in the mind of the person who started the thread as to whether the purpose of the thread includes discussion about my opinion, and

2. The thread is entitled "HID Install in 2010 Fusion Sport," not "HID is great, and anyone who thinks otherwise, don't bother posting."

No, I don't have statistical information to back up my opinion. I was merely stating my opinion based on having recently driven in front of HID-equipped vehicles. Perhaps some people are not bothered by doing so. I was, and I certainly think it impaired my abilities to drive, however slightly. That is evidence, albeit not statistical evidence. The fact that you disagree with my opinion does not mean that it is not evidence. It is not much evidence, I'll grant.

But if there are "many many articles disproving the information state" (and I don't know how you can "disprove" my opinion based on my perception), let's take a look at a few. Do you have any links?

• 2 weeks later...

So I ordered a 55W 5k kit from DDM Tuning as well. Thinking that since it was 55W that it would eliminate the problem you mentioned. Wrong... My car did the same thing as soon as you start it up. I too ordered an "anti-flicker" (resistor) kit off eBay and hopefully they arrive today!

But I must say that I'm glad I went with the 5k and not 6k as pcsgrp35se mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...

When I did mine last April, it was a no brainer just plugged the BOW eliminator ahead of the ballast connection and right off the headlight plug that was inside the housing then connected the bulb connections to the ballast. If you connect the BOW (resister) after the ballast it isn't going to work correctly.

When I did mine last April, it was a no brainer just plugged the BOW eliminator ahead of the ballast connection and right off the headlight plug that was inside the housing then connected the bulb connections to the ballast. If you connect the BOW (resister) after the ballast it isn't going to work correctly.

Yes, I agree and mine is wired the same way. The BOW eliminator needs to "fool" the car, not the ballast. ;)

Bear in mind that I am also running a 55W kit.