GOOD LUCK WITH THAT

udontkno

http://www.freep.com/article/20090504/BUSINESS01/90504087

I am sure Ford would like more concessions but I really think I am good where I am at.

I find it hard to believe that Gettelfinger made this statement.

Gettelfinger noted that the UAW was not obligated to strike a modified labor agreement with Ford since it is the only domestic automaker to forgo federal funding.

“It’s worked out very well for the company,” Gettelfinger said.

I understand the need for Ford to be profitable but was it the labor agreements that put Ford in such bad shape? Last time I checked Ford spent well over $30 billion between 1995 and 2005 outside of the US and the lions share of that $30 billion was profits from its US factories. As I type Ford is spending over $3 billion in Mexico to build the Fiesta and spent big money retooling the Fusion plant in Mexico. I dont think Ford has made $3 billion profit in Mexico in the 100 years that they have been selling cars in Mexico.

I think Gettelfinger should get a grip and demand that the Fiesta and Fusion should be built in the USA.

I am sure Ford would like more concessions but I really think I am good where I am at.

Gettelfinger noted that the UAW was not obligated to strike a modified labor agreement with Ford since it is the only domestic automaker to forgo federal funding.

I understand the need for Ford to be profitable but was it the labor agreements that put Ford in such bad shape? Last time I checked Ford spent well over $30 billion between 1995 and 2005 outside of the US and the lions share of that $30 billion was profits from its US factories. As I type Ford is spending over $3 billion in Mexico to build the Fiesta and spent big money retooling the Fusion plant in Mexico. I dont think Ford has made $3 billion profit in Mexico in the 100 years that they have been selling cars in Mexico.

I think Gettelfinger should get a grip and demand that the Fiesta and Fusion should be built in the USA.

Looks like you need to re-read his statement. He clearly makes the point that the labor agreements didnt put Ford in the shape they are in, that spending their profits from the 90's and early 2000's in europe and mexico is what made them in bad shape! He also said that Ford hasnt made 3 billion profit in over 100 years in mexico. He can demand all he wants. It's what the company wants to do. The Union cant tell the company how to run the business. But the Union can negotiate new product being built in the USA.

Looks like you need to re-read his statement. He clearly makes the point that the labor agreements didnt put Ford in the shape they are in, that spending their profits from the 90's and early 2000's in europe and mexico is what made them in bad shape! He also said that Ford hasnt made 3 billion profit in over 100 years in mexico. He can demand all he wants. It's what the company wants to do. The Union cant tell the company how to run the business. But the Union can negotiate new product being built in the USA.

Most people believe the union has no leverage to expect the company to reinvest in the US. I believe that the union has more leverage then it ever has and it has a right and obligation to its members to negotiate firm for Ford to reinvest in the US. I really do not want to get in a word game here, I say demand because the union should not accept any offer unless it includes the investment to build the Fusion and Fiesta in the US.

I wonder what would happen if Mexico elected a copy of Hugo Chavez and the govt. took over the auto industry. Would Ford expect the US to send troops to Mexico to fight for their assets or would Ford just walk away from those plants with the money offered by Mexico? What leverage would Ford have? It may sound crazy but Chavez took over (nationalized) the cell phone, oil and many other industries in Venz.

Most people believe the union has no leverage to expect the company to reinvest in the US. I believe that the union has more leverage then it ever has and it has a right and obligation to its members to negotiate firm for Ford to reinvest in the US. I really do not want to get in a word game here, I say demand because the union should not accept any offer unless it includes the investment to build the Fusion and Fiesta in the US.

I wonder what would happen if Mexico elected a copy of Hugo Chavez and the govt. took over the auto industry. Would Ford expect the US to send troops to Mexico to fight for their assets or would Ford just walk away from those plants with the money offered by Mexico? What leverage would Ford have? It may sound crazy but Chavez took over (nationalized) the cell phone, oil and many other industries in Venz.

Sad to say look at american axel. I doubt current UAW members would stick together. After all it appears they (workers) are willing to accept any offer that the company offers. Sad. Workers do not appear to have the backbone to stand up for their rights any more. The young workers cried and wanted all the older workers to leave. Now there is no one left to stand up. What a shame. After Ford moves operation after operation to mexico then they will do just like american axel.

Sad to say look at american axel. I doubt current UAW members would stick together. After all it appears they (workers) are willing to accept any offer that the company offers. Sad. Workers do not appear to have the backbone to stand up for their rights any more. The young workers cried and wanted all the older workers to leave. Now there is no one left to stand up. What a shame. After Ford moves operation after operation to mexico then they will do just like american axel.

Yes but the I-UAW will live to fight another day !!! :hysterical: :happy feet:

Ruthless employers love recession

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/20...ession-job-cuts

A growing array of unions in Britain are reporting that a number of unscrupulous and capricious employers are using the recession as a convenient cover to make cutbacks on workers' terms and conditions of employment to boost their profit levels.

For example, Unite's national officer, Peter Ellis, told Packaging News this week: "We suspect that there may be a number of companies who may be looking upon the financial crisis as an opportunity to exploit the situation and draw down wages."

The same union also warned that it would not tolerate employers who attempted to use the credit crunch as an excuse to attack workers' pensions.

Unions in Britain have been prepared to work with employers to cut operating costs to protect jobs and companies where the managements have been able to genuinely prove that they are in dire financial straits. LDV vans and Delphi are just two of the many examples of this.

But an increasing number of employers continue to be highly profitable and are using the opportunity of economic difficulties to boost their profitability even further.

In times of recession, workers are less likely to put up resistance to job cuts because they feel there is nothing they can do about the situation. Moreover, many workers believe it is better in these times to be in a job than quibble about pay, and are prepared to accept reductions in their terms and conditions.

Visteon, which closed three of its plants in Britain, is still supplying Ford plants in the country but from its overseas operations in South Africa, China and the Philippines, according to its sacked workers. Parts are much cheaper to manufacture there because of the lower labour costs, no matter the costs of later transportation.

But it is not just wages and conditions that are under attack. A car parts supplier went one further and used the opportunity to try to remove the protection of a union for workers through derecognition, leading a TUC official to venture:

I suppose it was inevitable that a dodgy employer somewhere would use the recession as a convenient stick to try and beat up its union: inevitable but still depressing.

This list of woe adds to reports of other employers trying to escape their redundancy payout responsibilities to limit their liabilities and keep more for themselves.

Conventional economic wisdom would suggest that cutting back on the wages of the many for the benefit of the few is not the best way to getting the economy back on track, much less spread the recessionary pain out evenly.

While there is a job for the members' unions to do in these cases, government intervention to stop these unjust and deflationary measures would seem pressing, as the notion of corporate social responsibility does not seem to be part of these employers' mindset.

One has to remember that the government is controlled by bankers and the corporate elite. Government intervention is a pipe dream

you must be off your rocker. the IUAW can "demand" all they want, but if it comes to it ford WILL do what they want, WHEN they want, and NO ONE can do a fucking thing about it. whats gonna happen when ford says they are gonna cut pay by $10 an hour? we will be working for $18 an hour or we will go find another job....thats what will happen.... :banghead:

you must be off your rocker. the IUAW can "demand" all they want, but if it comes to it ford WILL do what they want, WHEN they want, and NO ONE can do a fucking thing about it. whats gonna happen when ford says they are gonna cut pay by $10 an hour? we will be working for $18 an hour or we will go find another job....thats what will happen.... :banghead:

While you obviously think that the union has no power in shaping their own contracts, where the hell do you get a $10/hr pay cut??? I think you've been banging your own head for too long. :hysterical:

While you obviously think that the union has no power in shaping their own contracts, where the hell do you get a $10/hr pay cut??? I think you've been banging your own head for too long. :hysterical:

im just using that as an example.....you tell me, if ford said to the union....we are gonna have to cut everyones pay by $10 an hour....what would happen?

we would be working for $18....thats what would happen :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Ill have this to say......FUCK NO

now the 1st concessions helped Ford get concessions from the bond holders and dealers this time ill vote no.

how is cutting the sub fund of what about $200 mills a year going to help Ford...it aint....

Fuck that and Ford is going to make money in the 4th quarter this year anyway as there market share will reach 20%%%

Ill have this to say......FUCK NO

now the 1st concessions helped Ford get concessions from the bond holders and dealers this time ill vote no.

how is cutting the sub fund of what about $200 mills a year going to help Ford...it aint....

Fuck that and Ford is going to make money in the 4th quarter this year anyway as there market share will reach 20%%%

i'll have this to say....it dont matter people

if ford wants to do it, they will....regardless of how we vote

first page of the contract book says it all.................

i'll have this to say....it dont matter people

if ford wants to do it, they will....regardless of how we vote

first page of the contract book says it all.................

Point is..Ford will not even consider demanding $10/hr pay cut. So its just not going to happen. They want what Chrysler got and they are still at full base pay. If you got something that has merit....argue away. Otherwise leave this fantasy crap in the shithouse.