iPod Indexing Times/Length?

iNexxFear

Like a 160 gig SimpleTech and 160gig Seagate. The SimpleTech is the older one, never an issue. Both are in the console and generate a little heat but nothing detrimental. I always think about how hot my XBox gets and that hard drive is OK, these don't even get remotely that hot.

Just remember you have to force them to format FAT32 and you need a little program to do it. Search FAT32 Formatter or something like that. Windows will only do 32gigs and obviously the drives are bigger than that.

Thanks. I will give it a shot.

Check out this explanation of the max number of songs Sync can index:

http://fordsyncforum.com/index.php?showtop...post&p=1803

"While there isn't an exact number for the maximum amount of songs that SYNC can handle, the capacity for SYNC is about 20,000 songs. This is assuming that the compression rate for these tracks would be at 128-Kbps. The higher the compression rate (192-Kbps, 320 Kbps) the smaller the number of tracks Sync can handle.

Just as with any other device, we cannot guarantee compatibility (because it is not on our device list). But as long as the device is formatted FAT32 and can be powered through USB (or you have some other way of powering up the device) it should work like any other mass storage device. NTFS does NOT work as a partition, it was thought to have, but was discovered not to work. Note the recommended maximum capacity for any media device is 100GB (again, not saying anything more will not work but that is the recommended maximum for reasonable SYNC performance).

SYNC has a limit of 15,000 grammar objects. After SYNC completes the indexing of songs, it begins creating the set of grammar objects or voice commands. Each song can have up to 4 commands associated with it, one each for: Genre, Artist, Album, and Track. Repeats are not counted, so if you have 100 songs by the Beatles, the Artist name "the Beatles" only counts as 1 toward that 15,000 total.

If the total number of voice commands would be over 15,000 at any time, the least specific group gets removed first. This is why your Track commands were disabled. Having 17,000 tracks would instantly put you over that limit, but grouping things by Genre, Artist, and Album gives less than 15,000 total. Depending on the diversity of your collection, reducing the track count to somewhere between 10,000 and 13,000 should restore the ability to use track commands."

Edited by WPWoodJr

Slightly off topic but what type and how big of a USB external drive are you using and I'm assuming it is working ok or you wouln't be using it. Do you have it in your console and have you experienced any heat issues from the drive since they can generate a lot of heat?

I got a 64gb flash drive so I wouldn't have to worry about heat and cold issues.

Edited by WPWoodJr

All of my mp3's are 192k thats probably why my indexing crapped out sooner than yours.

All 9000 Songs on my iPod are in 192k format as well... They are now indexing sucessfully after SYNC My iTunes helped me identify all of the issues... I would suspect the indexing to be failing based on the content of your message... Please review my notes fore sucessfull indexing which include band names and titles that are all capitals (ABBA, MACHINICA, etc), extra spaces in titles, Missing Artists, Genre's with extra appostrophe's, and I have also noticed that if the song has a Na Na Na in it, it likes them to be capitalized (i.e. NA NA NA)... And with the 3.0 upgrade for my 2010 it continues to sucessfully recognize everything I say!

Also my indexing and storage process completed sucessfully and don't keep indexing... However, I wonder if the issue occurs when you plug another smart connector into the bottom of the ipod (i.e. the radio adapter, computer, etc)

Man oh Man! I sure hope that in a future version of SYNC this indexing problem is little less intrusive... I took the ipod out of the car this morning, went into the GYM changed a setting because I seen repeat setting on after hearing the song a few times... Then hooking it up to the car it had to re-index it all, causing me to not have access to the library for about 5 minutes again!

If they want to check for issues why can't they do background indexing, and then change the log afterwards. Changing settings like that shouldn't cause the car to have to reindex the entire iPod again!

Anyone else agree?

Man oh Man! I sure hope that in a future version of SYNC this indexing problem is little less intrusive... I took the ipod out of the car this morning, went into the GYM changed a setting because I seen repeat setting on after hearing the song a few times... Then hooking it up to the car it had to re-index it all, causing me to not have access to the library for about 5 minutes again!

If they want to check for issues why can't they do background indexing, and then change the log afterwards. Changing settings like that shouldn't cause the car to have to reindex the entire iPod again!

Anyone else agree?

This is the main reason I decided to just devote a USB flash drive to the car, so I would not have to worry about hooking/unhooking a media player up to the car and possibly indexing whenever I got in.