I love how they in particular spend two whole paragraphs singling out the GMQ:

The three most overpriced cars are the Dodge Ram pickup (worth 26% less than its MSRP), Mercury Grand Marquis (worth 21.4% less) and Jeep Liberty (worth 20.9% less).

The $29,270 Mercury Grand Marquis sedan, however, is one to watch. Its market value is 21.4% lower than its MSRP, and it received low APEAL (2) and satisfaction (43) scores as well. So someone with her heart set on this vehicle shouldn't--in theory--pay more than roughly $23,000.

The Grand Marquis is the victim of a general move in the market away from larger, heavier sedans, says James Clark, general manager of Automotive Lease Guide, a California company that compiles automotive residual values. Those cars get worse gas mileage and cost more to insure, meaning they cost more to own in the long run. Similarly, U.S. consumers' move away from trucks and SUVs--also prominent on our list--has driven down those vehicles' true market values as well.

More

The only way you pay $29K for a GMQ is if you are a f&*king idiot. That being said, who knew $17,995 out the door for a GMQ was overpriced? I woulda thought it would have been a midsized V6 FWD Milan which goes for about the same price as the fullsized V8 RWD GMQ.

I love how they in particular spend two whole paragraphs singling out the GMQ:

The only way you pay $29K for a GMQ is if you are a f&*king idiot. That being said, who knew $17,995 out the door for a GMQ was overpriced? I woulda thought it would have been a midsized V6 FWD Milan which goes for about the same price as the fullsized V8 RWD GMQ.

Yeah, since there are so many new GM's being delivered for $17,995. :rolleyes:

Let me see if I understand you correctly - you think (a) anyone should be able to geta new Grand Marquis for $11K off sticker and (B) it makes business sense for Ford to continue making the car. Do you truly not see anything wrong with your thoughts?

Edited by nelsonlu

Let me see if I understand you correctly - you think (a) anyone should be able to get a new Grand Marquis for $11K off sticker and (B) it makes business sense for Ford to continue making the car. Do you truly not see anything wrong with your thoughts?

Well, I don't see any problem with that position. :shades:

Fact is, Ford would still make a profit at any of the mentioned "price points", AND would still be in business. :beerchug:

Trick question;

Which Detroit auto company still makes an "American Car"?

and is there a reason why its the only one not to go bankrupt?

Hmmm... could it be that they can actually make a GMQ ( or a TownCar ) and sell it for 50% off... and STILL make a profit?

Which other car do you think you could do that with? :rockon:

Yeah, since there are so many new GM's being delivered for $17,995. :rolleyes:

You could before Ford dropped the GS trim level in order to try to prop up the Sable. Didn't work.

Now you just take the invoice price, add a couple of hundred for the dealer's time in ordering the car for you, and subtract all the rebates. Or, I could go x-plan since I could get supplier pricing - and that's over $5,000 off of list without considering the Ford financing bonus cash.

Why Ford never just cut the price by $4,000 and eliminate most of the rebates, I've never understood. But then again, I quit trying to figure out the logic of Ford Motor Company about 10 years ago.

Edited by taxman100

You could before Ford dropped the GS trim level in order to try to prop up the Sable. Didn't work.

How does dropping the trim level that was priced thousands of dollars below the starting price of the Sable cause increaed sales of the Sable? You're grasping at straws here to place blame where it doesn't belong.

Much more likely reason they axed that trim level? There weren't enough people interested in it anymore.

How does dropping the trim level that was priced thousands of dollars below the starting price of the Sable cause increaed sales of the Sable? You're grasping at straws here to place blame where it doesn't belong.

Much more likely reason they axed that trim level? There weren't enough people interested in it anymore.

That was in fact what the dealership people told us back in the mid-90s as the reason why the didn't stock Grand Marquis GSes any more when my mother wanted another GS; that they got virtually no demand for it from their other customers.