Fusion Hybrid Insurance Rates

wnyvet

Took possession last week of a FFH, and admit to one small oversight (never obtained an insurance quote). :shrug: I'll find out soon enough, after the policy statement arrives. In the meantime, am interested to know how much of a premium is paid for all of that expensive technology built into the car? Should I expect a 20% increase in the cost of insurance?

Thanks in advance.

Mine rate is actually fairly comparable to the 7 year old car I sold for the FFH. My old car was a little sportier, but I'm still surprised (and happy) at how low the insurance premium is for the FFH. I can only figure that all the safety features and high safety rankings plus the fact that it's a traditional sedan vs. a sporty car help keep the premium down.

I have to report about the same as ackbar, except I have the sport model and I traded in a SUV. The rates were comparible, especially once I got my insurance carrier to add back in the 20% discount for the anti-theft (which they originally excluded).

However that's for the state of Mass, and the location I live in... Each location is obviously different for specific reasons.

Mine rate is actually fairly comparable to the 7 year old car I sold for the FFH. My old car was a little sportier, but I'm still surprised (and happy) at how low the insurance premium is for the FFH. I can only figure that all the safety features and high safety rankings plus the fact that it's a traditional sedan vs. a sporty car help keep the premium down.

I traded an '04 Lincoln LS in for the Fusion Hybrid; I got a slight decrease in insurance rate as well.

Was a little concerned for a minute there :unsure: , but now the verdict is in. I had predicted a 20% increase in my insurance rate, but it went up 28.5%. That's not entirely bad, as it's replacing a '97 Accord, which had a street value of about one-fifth of the Fusion Hybrid. Naturally the rate would increase, as the replacement cost is significantly higher. :yup: Now I'm paying a whopping $560 a year.

Was a little concerned for a minute there :unsure: , but now the verdict is in. I had predicted a 20% increase in my insurance rate, but it went up 28.5%. That's not entirely bad, as it's replacing a '97 Accord, which had a street value of about one-fifth of the Fusion Hybrid. Naturally the rate would increase, as the replacement cost is significantly higher. :yup: Now I'm paying a whopping $560 a year.

I don't think there is ANY premium owing to the technology. There is only one owing to the price/value of the car. I traded in a 13-year old Taurus. The added cost of insurance for me has been negligible. The cost depends far more on your coverage, your deductibles, your driving record, and the price of the car than on the type/model of car you buy -- at least within this particular (mid-size sedan) market.

I don't think there is ANY premium owing to the technology. There is only one owing to the price/value of the car. I traded in a 13-year old Taurus. The added cost of insurance for me has been negligible. The cost depends far more on your coverage, your deductibles, your driving record, and the price of the car than on the type/model of car you buy -- at least within this particular (mid-size sedan) market.

Regarding insurance, you're absolutely correct, good friend. :D I mentioned as much ("replaced a '97 Accord, with a street value of about one-fifth of the Fusion Hybrid. Naturally the rate would increase, as the replacement cost is significantly higher"). In a total loss of both, it would cost the insurer much more to replace the Fusion than the Accord ($5k versus $30k), hence, a higher premium. Simple.

Nothing's changed at all in my personal circumstances. Still earn each and every discount that's available. Still maintain a flawless driving record. Still have immaculate, debt-free credit history. Same coverage, except that I actually INCREASED the deductible, to stymie an insurance hike. I'm no more of a driving risk now, than when I drove the Accord for nearly 13 years. The subsequent rate increase is soley based upon the value of the Fusion Hybrid, versus that of the Accord. Insurance ain't rocket science.

Indirectly, though, all of that expensive technology has EVERYTHING to do with the end-result, which was meant when wondering "how much of a premium is paid for all of that expensive technology built into the car?". Due to the IMPACT of that technology, the hybrid's significantly costlier than it's 4-banger, non-hybrid sibling.

Taking that all into consideration, I'm not upset at all with the 28.5% insurance hike, paying $560 per year for the 2010 Fusion Hybrid, versus $436 for the '97 Accord. You seriously think that I should be, and do you suppose that it might be my best interest to shop around for a better deal?

thanks.

just to add another comment... I replaced a 2007 Milan with the 2010 Fusion Hybrid... I was totally shocked when I got a 20.00 check from the insurance company... cheaper?? gotta stay with AAA!! :hysterical:

Very interesting, indeed. But what's the final figure?

Congratulations to all of those, who've managed to maintain a current rate of insurance, and especially those who obtained an even lower rate, and REFUND :banvictory: Surely I'm not the only one with a $124 annual rate increase. Or maybe I am :headscratch: . I dunno, maybe I better go ahead and call around for rates.

Suppose I could always just go back and re-trade for the old '97 Accord :shrug: ........nah, I'll happily pay an extra $124 for my new ride :flexing:

Edited by wnyvet

http://autos.aol.com/cars-Ford-Fusion+Hybr...-15000/state-US

That chart shows cost of ownership for the 2010 Fusion Hybrid. Note, that the average annual cost of insurance is $1205.60, with a five-year average of $6028. These show the same:

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:OzSfFw...=clnk&gl=us

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?l=1...f=5744&p=37

http://www.internetautoguide.com/cost-of-o.../882/index.html shows $1568 per year/$7840 total five years.

Motor Trends assessment of the average cost of ownership http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2010/ford/f...ship/index.html is even worse ($1741.10 per year/$8707 five years), as is:

http://www.intellichoice.com/reports/vehic...010/Ford/Fusion, http://www.automobilemag.com/am/99/2010/fo...ship_costs.html

http://autos.yahoo.com/2010_ford_fusion_hybrid_sedan-price/ is much better at $963/$4816.

Edmunds doesn't have figures yet for the hybrid, so I used a 2009 I-4 SEL 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5A) to get a rough idea http://www.edmunds.com/new/2009/ford/fusio...849&vdp=off and it came to $1401/$7006.

Suddenly, my 28.5% rate increase of $124, to a whopping $560 per year, seems much more acceptable :happy feet: Such is the cost to get behind the wheel of my 2010 Fusion Hybrid.

One thing you can do is go to insurance company web sites and try their insurance premium quoters for various cars before you decide which one you want to buy (or, if you have already decided, find out what insurance costs will be compared to your old car before you buy).

Very interesting, indeed. But what's the final figure?

Congratulations to all of those, who've managed to maintain a current rate of insurance, and especially those who obtained an even lower rate, and REFUND :banvictory: Surely I'm not the only one with a $124 annual rate increase. Or maybe I am :headscratch: . I dunno, maybe I better go ahead and call around for rates.

Suppose I could always just go back and re-trade for the old '97 Accord :shrug: ........nah, I'll happily pay an extra $124 for my new ride :flexing:

I want to say about 850 a year.. that does include tho, having house, and 2 other cars on the insurance... and not living quite in a metro area...but very happy with the insurance company... and the hybrid!

Got the bill.. for a year for full coverage, 500ded for collision... $580.00...

Edited by Rick1723