Parked next to a 2010 Taurus SES today....

Parked next to a new Taurus today. Beautiful car. Nice fit and finish and appointments. The console in the center is REALLY tall, which might make people fee a bit claustrophobic.

The sheer SIZE of this car though is the real story. I owned a 2-door '76 LTD back in H.S., and this car reminded me of that. Check out the specs comparison below!

One very positive thing from all that mass is that the NHTSA and IIHS safety ratings on this thing should be through the roof!

-Ovaltine

1976 Ford LTD

photo.jpg

Weight 3900-4400 lbs

Length 223.9"

Wheelbase 223.9"

Width 79.5"

Height 54.3"

Wheelbase 121"

2010 Ford Taurus

2010_Ford_Taurus_SHO_1.jpg

Weight 3741.2 lbs

Length 202.9"

Wheelbase 223.9"

Width 76.2"

Height 60.7"

Wheelbase 112.9"

Edited by Ovaltine

To be honest, when I was at the Lincoln-Mercury dealer the other day, one thing that struck me about the MKS was how it didn't appear huge from the outside. I don't think the stack looked particularly tall, but I can see how it might give that illusion since it sweeps away from the driver and is very long. The car felt roomy, but cozy at the same time. I would assume most of the MKS's interior and exterior character would more or less carry over to the Taurus.

Also, going by the numbers you posted (which don't make any sense at all -- you might want to edit them), the LTD is nearly TWO FEET longer than the Taurus.

Edited by NickF1011

Also, going by the numbers you posted (which don't make any sense at all -- you might want to edit them), the LTD is nearly TWO FEET longer than the Taurus.

Oops..... I see the jiggy numbers now. Let me re-surf those, and get them corrected. I had to cut-n-paste into another document and something got crossed due to them originally being in tables.

Stay tuned....

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

I'm curious... how can the numbers below not make sense? There's a car title, a picture, and then that car's specs right below the photo. Is your browser showing something different than that?

Your numbers list wheelbase twice (incorrectly) on both vehicles. My browser is working just fine, thanks.

I'm curious... how can the numbers below not make sense? There's a car title, a picture, and then that car's specs right below the photo. Is your browser showing something different than that?

And as far as the validity of the comparison, I still think it holds water. Keep in mind that we ARE comparing a modern day auto to a 1970's era "tank"!

The Taurus is:

93% as heavy as a 4000 lbs LTD

90% as long in the wheelbase as the LTD

93% as long in overall length as the LTD

96% as wide as the LTD

and finally.... 111% as tall as the LTD (or in other words, 11% taller!)

-Ovaltine

You have the wheelbase listed at 223 inches for both the Taurus and the LTD.

The Taurus probably has much more USABLE interior space than the LTD. Those 1970s land barges weren't that roomy inside, despite outside appearances. My parents had a 1976 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale four-door hardtop. Lots of interior space was wasted by the extreme curvature of the bodysides and greenhouse glass. Trunk space wasn't so hot, either.

The taller Taurus is probably much easier to enter and exit, and the more upright seating position is better for long-distance comfort, too.

The story here is that the Taurus is smaller than the LTD in every exterior dimension except one, but I'll bet it is much more comfotable and roomier inside (and with a bigger, more usable trunk, too). Fuel economy and performance are much better, too - those old 1970s boats were lucky to get 15 mpg at 55 mph, and their performance was pathetic.