2009 MMH Wipers and nav black screen

mmdlcab

I thought I would ask one more question here this weekend for folks that may know more about this than I do.

I have a 2009 MMH and any time I use the windshield wipers, the GPS screen goes into night mode, and the darkest night mode possible. The screen is pretty much unreadable during the day. Now granted, if it's raining, there are clouds and the sky is overcast, but it's not nighttime dark outside. When my GPS screen does this, it's pretty much unusable. Anyone else seen this?

thanks in advance

CAB

I thought I would ask one more question here this weekend for folks that may know more about this than I do.

I have a 2009 MMH and any time I use the windshield wipers, the GPS screen goes into night mode, and the darkest night mode possible. The screen is pretty much unreadable during the day. Now granted, if it's raining, there are clouds and the sky is overcast, but it's not nighttime dark outside. When my GPS screen does this, it's pretty much unusable. Anyone else seen this?

thanks in advance

CAB

I know exactly what you are talking about. What the issue is that the headlamps are activated by wipers automaticaly. When the head lamps are turned on, the nav system sees the lights are on and goes dim like it should. What I have to do, is on rare occasions, I just turn the display setting on the nav to Day instead of Auto for the time needed. Then I just turn it back to auto when I realize the screen is super bright at night.

I know exactly what you are talking about. What the issue is that the headlamps are activated by wipers automaticaly. When the head lamps are turned on, the nav system sees the lights are on and goes dim like it should. What I have to do, is on rare occasions, I just turn the display setting on the nav to Day instead of Auto for the time needed. Then I just turn it back to auto when I realize the screen is super bright at night.

Turn off the autolamp feature, and turn the headlights on and off manually, and this will not happen.

Turn off the autolamp feature, and turn the headlights on and off manually, and this will not happen.

Thanks for both of your replies, and you seem to be right, although I never thought of testing that out until it was mentioned. I guess maybe it is the way it was designed to work? But to me, it should be smarter than that. I guess maybe I'm thinking it's a poor design. I guess I can live with that. But I try not to touch the gps screen much at all when I'm driving. Distracted driving and all that. I normally leave the gps screen in auto mode. Thanks very much for the feedback.