Where are all the manual transmissions?

Viss1

Considering purchasing a new Ranger. The 0% on top of the existing incentives is making it look pretty good. Done a few inventory searches, and 95% of the trucks out there are automatics. I'm looking for a 2WD Supercab manual - this configuration seems to be the holy grail or something. Anyone else notice this?

Getting anything but the stripped model with a stick (with a few "special" cars the exception) is not an easy thing. Best bet is to go to a dealer make the deal, and let them search the entire system for you. They'll pull cars from 6-700 miles away, if they need to.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Considering purchasing a new Ranger. The 0% on top of the existing incentives is making it look pretty good. Done a few inventory searches, and 95% of the trucks out there are automatics. I'm looking for a 2WD Supercab manual - this configuration seems to be the holy grail or something. Anyone else notice this?

I've got a fairly low mileage '02 Ranger FX4 with a manual trans for sale. Been looking at the new Sport Trac.

• 1 month later...

My 2003 is a Manual with a 3.0L Vulcan. My next Ranger will be a Manual with a 4.0L or better. If I can't get a Manual, then I guess I'm not getting a Ford (that even sounds pretty wrong to me, ouch!). Although, I hear automatics are better at taking hits (i.e. after grabbing some air) when off-roading so that might change my mind a bit.

Honestly, I just love to drive Manual cars especially when they are rear-wheel-driven. I just like the control. I like to tell the transmission when to shift, and when not to shift. It's the point where man and machine become one. Where you control the machine. It shouldn't be the other way around.

That's just me.

Joey

• 8 months later...

I just went to the dealer, told him the options I wanted, negotiated the price, and waited 8 weeks for the truck to show up, manual transmission and all.

Especially in today's economy dealers have to be real careful that what they order will sell, and unfortunately those of use that prefer sticks are now in the minority. Let's face it, pretty soon there will be entire generations of people that have never driven a stick. It's like trying to buy a vehicle without power windows & locks, air conditioning, etc. - it's what the mass market wants.

You think finding a stick was tough, try to find a 4.0L engine sitting on a lot!

I just went to the dealer, told him the options I wanted, negotiated the price, and waited 8 weeks for the truck to show up, manual transmission and all.

Especially in today's economy dealers have to be real careful that what they order will sell, and unfortunately those of use that prefer sticks are now in the minority. Let's face it, pretty soon there will be entire generations of people that have never driven a stick. It's like trying to buy a vehicle without power windows & locks, air conditioning, etc. - it's what the mass market wants.

You think finding a stick was tough, try to find a 4.0L engine sitting on a lot!

I admit I haven't looked recently, but when I bought mine (4.0L, 5-spd, 2wd) in 1993, I had to order it.

Ok, I admit I did get all the power goodies (except AT), which maybe that's why I had to order it. When my truck came into the dealership, I had a couple of salesmen offer me $100 to allow them to sell it to another person, and they would re-order the same truck. Don't know if they started to stock trucks like that or not. That was at Harrelson Ford in Charlotte

If they had a V8 available, I'd have bought it instead. Even though it is the 'old' Cologne V6, it can still merge into traffic with the best of them, and haul everything I've ever thrown in it. Guess that's why I've never replaced it.

Hope you enjoy yours for years, as I have mine.