May 1st smoking ban

Maislebandit

I know that some of the ford facilities are already smoke free. These places usually have smoking "shelters".

I am wondering about the plants that you can currently smoke in. I have not heard of any plans to accommodate smokers at Sterling. Just some cessation literature.

How do you see this playing out at your location? Any talk of accommodating those who do not wish to quit? How will Ford enforce this?

Will this affect the operations at your location?

I believe this new law will be interesting at the minimum. Both how Ford handles it and how the workers react to it.

I know that some of the ford facilities are already smoke free. These places usually have smoking "shelters".

I am wondering about the plants that you can currently smoke in. I have not heard of any plans to accommodate smokers at Sterling. Just some cessation literature.

How do you see this playing out at your location? Any talk of accommodating those who do not wish to quit? How will Ford enforce this?

I believe this new law will be interesting at the minimum. Both how Ford handles it and how the workers react to it.

We have had a smoking ban at WAP for awhile now and, people just smoke wherever they can get away with it. Just got to be

sneaky!

• Like 2

Haven't heard or seen anything about accommodations outside or smoking cessation programs at DTP, Seems to me that they could have some of the skilled trades guys build smoking shelters outside

Edited by slomotion
  • Like 1

Haven't heard or seen anything about accommodations outside or smoking cessation programs at DTP, Seems to me that they could have some of the skilled trades guys build smoking shelters outside

In Ohio this smoking ban started in Dec. 2007 and while Ford/uaw offered smoking cessation, I believe it was laser, they in NO WAY whatsoever provide for ANY shelter outside....not even an awning. The smokers are treated as though they are not humans.

Many have asked if they could have something built-anything for some kind of shelter...three walls at least to shelter from the rain and wind and snow. I know it cannot be enclosed completely. There was alot of promises made to the smokers by people running for committeemen and bargaining and nothing has come of it. Of course, they were promising things before the election and never followed through, but I shouldn't sound as though I'm surprised of that.

Just seems like the union structure, at least would stand up for the smokers and say hey, at least give them an awning and some chairs cuz they're still human beings.

Making the ability to smoke harder, doesn't help people to stop, it just makes them cranky. They'll quit when they are in that mindset.

A little compassion would be nice, at least from the UAW.

Good luck to you.

• Like 2

In Ohio this smoking ban started in Dec. 2007 and while Ford/uaw offered smoking cessation, I believe it was laser, they in NO WAY whatsoever provide for ANY shelter outside....not even an awning. The smokers are treated as though they are not humans.

Many have asked if they could have something built-anything for some kind of shelter...three walls at least to shelter from the rain and wind and snow. I know it cannot be enclosed completely. There was alot of promises made to the smokers by people running for committeemen and bargaining and nothing has come of it. Of course, they were promising things before the election and never followed through, but I shouldn't sound as though I'm surprised of that.

Just seems like the union structure, at least would stand up for the smokers and say hey, at least give them an awning and some chairs cuz they're still human beings.

Making the ability to smoke harder, doesn't help people to stop, it just makes them cranky. They'll quit when they are in that mindset.

A little compassion would be nice, at least from the UAW.

Good luck to you.

P.S. watch out for your nark, union bros that don't smoke. Those are the ones that are turning people in. At first they were getting a warning and then a day off and now, I believe, it's automatic three days off. They have to catch you though, with the cig in your mouth.There are alot of miserable people who are turning in their union brothers. They should be blackballed from the union if you ask me. It's not like they are blowing smoke in their faces. If the air in the factory is that hard on them, maybe they should be working in a controlled atmosphere like an office cuz there's alot of things floating around in the air in the assembly plants.

Edited by justme
  • Like 2

Havent been able to smoke in KCAP since January 2004 I think. If you get caught, it's 3 days off and a fine from the City of Claycomo. Several people still do it anyway. People on hi-lows get away with it the most. Smokers have to go outside. There are no awnings or shelter for them to smoke in. No chairs. They bring the bins that the stock comes in to sit on.

• Like 1

:redcard: Smoking has been banned in all work places in Ontario since June, 2006. Ford had to rid plant of all evidence of smoking by that date, this included taking all ashtrays out of plant, plugging holes in picnic tables that were made for ashtrays, very prominent signs at all entrances, and zero tolerance for smokers in plant. An awning was built over an outside deck to protect people from rain, but by law no walls were permitted. The local health departments enforce it through Smoke Police and can charge individuals on the spot and issue a minamum fine of $200. The ban extends to the hiway even and truck drivers are not allowed to smoke in their trucks even if they own them, this is enforced by local Police or on the hiway by the OPP, which is the same as your State Police. The company was very zealous in enforcing this, an ashtray was found in a foremans office by the Smoke Police, during a downweek and when the plant returned to work, the foremans office had walls and ceiling removed and he had desk and computer sitting on plant floor. These people can enter any work place at any time, without notice. I said phuck-it and retired.
  • Like 2

:redcard: Smoking has been banned in all work places in Ontario since June, 2006. Ford had to rid plant of all evidence of smoking by that date, this included taking all ashtrays out of plant, plugging holes in picnic tables that were made for ashtrays, very prominent signs at all entrances, and zero tolerance for smokers in plant. An awning was built over an outside deck to protect people from rain, but by law no walls were permitted. The local health departments enforce it through Smoke Police and can charge individuals on the spot and issue a minamum fine of $200. The ban extends to the hiway even and truck drivers are not allowed to smoke in their trucks even if they own them, this is enforced by local Police or on the hiway by the OPP, which is the same as your State Police. The company was very zealous in enforcing this, an ashtray was found in a foremans office by the Smoke Police, during a downweek and when the plant returned to work, the foremans office had walls and ceiling removed and he had desk and computer sitting on plant floor. These people can enter any work place at any time, without notice. I said phuck-it and retired.

Wow. That is extreme. An owner/operator cannot smoke in his own rig while truckin down the road? What if you work at home? Are you subject to search and fines?

I sure hope the states don't go this route. Guess we'll have our freedom of choice, as long as we choose what we are told to choose!

• Like 2

Wow. That is extreme. An owner/operator cannot smoke in his own rig while truckin down the road? What if you work at home? Are you subject to search and fines?

:stirpot: I sure hope the states don't go this route. Guess we'll have our freedom of choice, as long as we choose what we are told to choose!

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/article/707572--man-fined-305-for-smoking-in-workplace-his-truck

No shit, read this talk about anal retentive.

• Like 1

In Ohio, there is no smoking in any building or workplace. The only exception is that nursing homes require a room for in patient smoking. (this is because they want them dead and don't have to pay medicare or SS). Saying that there is no smoking permitted at the Cleveland Casting Plant (foundry) is like putting up a no sex sign in a whore house. Apparently, Ford wants to kill you with there own chemicals and don't want you to bring your own. With all the smoke, dust, silica sand, and chemicals in the foundry, cigarette smoke is the least of ones problem. But in our case, its not Ford, it is the stupid Ohio Lawmakers that should have eliminated smoking to "clean" work places not filthy ones. And then there are the do-gooder snitches who bitch and call the smoking violation hotline. It smells so bad in most of the place, you can't smell cigarette smoke. But the pricks will turn you in in a minute if they see you. Its nothing other than Government wanting to control your life. What a joke!

• Like 2

In Ohio, there is no smoking in any building or workplace. The only exception is that nursing homes require a room for in patient smoking. (this is because they want them dead and don't have to pay medicare or SS). Saying that there is no smoking permitted at the Cleveland Casting Plant (foundry) is like putting up a no sex sign in a whore house. Apparently, Ford wants to kill you with there own chemicals and don't want you to bring your own. With all the smoke, dust, silica sand, and chemicals in the foundry, cigarette smoke is the least of ones problem. But in our case, its not Ford, it is the stupid Ohio Lawmakers that should have eliminated smoking to "clean" work places not filthy ones. And then there are the do-gooder snitches who bitch and call the smoking violation hotline. It smells so bad in most of the place, you can't smell cigarette smoke. But the pricks will turn you in in a minute if they see you. Its nothing other than Government wanting to control your life. What a joke!

:happy feet: That is just like our local rub & tug,Club 99, the Ladies must go outside to smoke a cigarette, rain or snow, but can smoke a customer inside.

• Like 2

P.S. watch out for your nark, union bros that don't smoke. Those are the ones that are turning people in. At first they were getting a warning and then a day off and now, I believe, it's automatic three days off. They have to catch you though, with the cig in your mouth.There are alot of miserable people who are turning in their union brothers. They should be blackballed from the union if you ask me. It's not like they are blowing smoke in their faces. If the air in the factory is that hard on them, maybe they should be working in a controlled atmosphere like an office cuz there's alot of things floating around in the air in the assembly plants.

plain and simple it is the LAW

wouldn't that fall under un-becoming of a union brother? if at any time a union brother is a direct casue of another union brother being disciplined, that person is then in bad standings with the union and repeating offenses results in kicked out of the union, once kicked out of the union you are not allowed to work at any place that that union covers,,,

or did this rule go away and narc-ing on union brothers is now allowed?

Edited by 228electrician
  • Like 2

wouldn't that fall under un-becoming of a union brother? if at any time a union brother is a direct casue of another union brother being disciplined, that person is then in bad standings with the union and repeating offenses results in kicked out of the union, once kicked out of the union you are not allowed to work at any place that that union covers,,,

this is not a work rule it is the state law so do not smoke in the plant or pay the piper

where the hell have you been? They have a 1-800 # that anyone can call without any repurcussions wether its false info or not! Been there. :banghead::finger:

• Like 1

this is not a work rule it is the state law so do not smoke in the plant or pay the piper

See what I mean people? They are already licking their chops...CANT WAIT to throw someone under and HOPING someone does smoke in their site...instead they should be advocating some kind of shelters for the smokers and just be happy that the law passed and now their air will be SO DARN MUCH BETTER in that plant...what a joke...sorry, just my opinion...quit bitching.

• Like 1