@006 Ford Escape 2.3L Blown engine

Ashburn

Bought a new Ford Escape in 2006. 138,000kms, mostly hiway. Regular oil changes and maintenance. Car never gave me a lick of trouble until coming back into town from road trip. Travelling approximately 100km/hr. Motor blows. Timing chain/belt snapped.

I believe these motors don't have a lot of tolerance between piston head and valve so when the timing went, whamo!.

Just paid the vehicle off too!. Well got 4 years out of a $30,000 car. Warranty expired. Tood bad, so sad.

Repair bill: $6.000.00 remanufactured motor plus labour + tax. Looking at around 8,000.00 clams to fix.

Hmmm.....might want to check those timing rubber bands you have on these motors.

Regards,

Man, I wish my engine would have lasted 130k miles. I spun a main bearing @ 65,000 miles and 37 months of ownership - 5k miles past the 60K extended warranty. "Catastrophic engine failure", the dealer said, and, $7,000 later, I had a remanufactured engine with a better warranty than the original. Go figure. Ford was of no help, so... the replacement vehicle will *not* be a Ford Motor product.

Tell all your friends.

quote name='Ashburn' date='18 June 2010 - 04:53 PM' timestamp='1276894425' post='622217']

Bought a new Ford Escape in 2006. 138,000kms, mostly hiway. Regular oil changes and maintenance. Car never gave me a lick of trouble until coming back into town from road trip. Travelling approximately 100km/hr. Motor blows. Timing chain/belt snapped.

I believe these motors don't have a lot of tolerance between piston head and valve so when the timing went, whamo!.

Just paid the vehicle off too!. Well got 4 years out of a $30,000 car. Warranty expired. Tood bad, so sad.

Repair bill: $6.000.00 remanufactured motor plus labour + tax. Looking at around 8,000.00 clams to fix.

Hmmm.....might want to check those timing rubber bands you have on these motors.

Regards,

I believe he wrote kms or kilometers, which is about or 86,000 miles. Does the 2.3 have a timing belt or chain, I thought belts needed to be replace around 80,000 miles

quote name='dlucarelli' date='18 June 2010 - 10:20 PM' timestamp='1276914020' post='622277']

Man, I wish my engine would have lasted 130k miles. I spun a main bearing @ 65,000 miles and 37 months of ownership - 5k miles past the 60K extended warranty. "Catastrophic engine failure", the dealer said, and, $7,000 later, I had a remanufactured engine with a better warranty than the original. Go figure. Ford was of no help, so... the replacement vehicle will *not* be a Ford Motor product.

Tell all your friends.

quote name='Ashburn' date='18 June 2010 - 04:53 PM' timestamp='1276894425' post='622217']

Regards,

I believe he wrote kms or kilometers, which is about or 86,000 miles. Does the 2.3 have a timing belt or chain, I thought belts needed to be replace around 80,000 miles

quote name='dlucarelli' date='18 June 2010 - 10:20 PM' timestamp='1276914020' post='622277']

Tell all your friends.

Regards,

Something seems wrong with this story, did you do the required dealer checks on a timely basis'. Everyone I know loves their product and has extremely good luck. There is required maintenance on timing belts, most need replacement on or before the mileage being described. What is the recommended intervals on your vehicle.

This engine does not use a timing belt ; it has a timing chain. Ordinarily, a timing chain will last for the life of the engine, and does not require periodic maintenance or replacement.

This story about the blown engine with one of the posters on this thread has been discussed before here and elsewhere. This poster used Jiffy Lube for oil changes and 5w-30 weight oil opposed to the 5w-20 recommended weight.

This story about the blown engine with one of the posters on this thread has been discussed before here and elsewhere. This poster used Jiffy Lube for oil changes and 5w-30 weight oil opposed to the 5w-20 recommended weight.

Just speculation on your part and others but no real proof as to the real cause of the failure. As I recall "only" one rod bearing failed. Kind-of hard to blame Jiffy Lube and the type of oil used if you ask me!

• 2 weeks later...

Something seems wrong with this story, did you do the required dealer checks on a timely basis'. Everyone I know loves their product and has extremely good luck. There is required maintenance on timing belts, most need replacement on or before the mileage being described. What is the recommended intervals on your vehicle.

Nothing wrong with the story....I may take a picture of the hole in the block and post it for you...

In all fairness, I was extremely happy with the vehicle. It did not present any issues for me in the 4+ years I owned it. (not even a light bulb). Regular timely maintenance, oil changes, brakes, tires, the usual stuff. And yes, I used 5W-20 (just like the oil cap says .... :P )

I posted this to see if there were issues with the vehicle and if anyone else experienced the timing chain failure.