I have a 1999 Ford Explorer with the usual 4.0L SOHC v6 and just noticed that the tachometer has no red line marked. I've been noticing that it doesn't want to shift under relatively hard acceleration and started wondering where the red line was.

I have a 1999 Ford Explorer with the usual 4.0L SOHC v6 and just noticed that the tachometer has no red line marked. I've been noticing that it doesn't want to shift under relatively hard acceleration and started wondering where the red line was.

If you go to Ford Owner you will be able to get the owners manual for your truck. I have done that and according to it you are getting a peak horsepower of 210 at 5250 rpm and 240 lb-ft of torque at 3250 rpm. So I would say red line is either 5500 or 6000 rpm. If I was driving it, I would usually keep it around 3000 rpm taking off and only run it up to 5250 when I needed the extra punch.

with regards to shifting, for me, all I would do is feather the throttle a bit to get it to shift, but I remember my 1994 and there were times it just didn't want to shift and when it did, it was rather a heavy shift.

I have a 1993 Ranger with the OHV version of that motor. According to the tach, the redline is 5000. The rev limiter kicks in and cuts the engine about 5250-5500 (Yes, I know from experience)

Since your motor is OHC, and I believe that OHC engines typically have higher rev limits than their OHV counterparts, yours is almost certainly higher than that.

Regardless, I'd say if the rev limiter hasn't kicked in for you, you likely have little to worry about. If you are driving aggressively, it's possible that the computer has "learned" to keep the same gear longer. That's just a guess on my part, though.

Edited by RangerM

Sounds like you need to have the trans checked. They are very prone to valve body gaskets blowing out, causing all kinds of great issues.