Honda to Recall 561,564 vehicles

range

Not for anything other than safety and emissions. ;)

Isnt that what recalls are for?

If it was a Ford/Gm we wouldnt get stuff like this(" but when was the last time a domestic automaker recalled a vehicle that was 9 to 12 years old?") like goody for them, fuck that!!!

It would be a bash fest if it was Ford or Gm.

They obviously didnt use relays or used a china ignition switch, glad to hear the overated Hondas, having issues. :happy feet:

Yeah, it was a question, but I think I already know the answer. If Ford routinely recalled vehicles that old, then where is the recall for the Windstar head gaskets and Taurus brakes and trannies? :shrug:

Where are the recalls on all Honda automatics from 1990 to present? :blah: It's just not going to happen.

Parts break on old cars. If they are a safety issue, the cars will be recalled. But recalling a bunch of 150,000+ mile V6's to give them new head gaskets and transmissions would be ridiculous, and NO company would do it.

Edited by NickF1011

The offending automatics were given a 100,000 mile warranty by Honda. My father has over 130K on his 1999 Ody and hasn't had to use it.

The offending Windstar head gaskets never saw 90K miles before failure.

Never saw 90K? I've seen plenty of Windstars on the road that I would assume have well over 90K on them. I seriously doubt they've ALL had head gasket replacements.

And yes, Honda extended the warranty. That's very different from recalling them all. Recalls don't have milage limits.

Edited by NickF1011

The offending automatics were given a 100,000 mile warranty by Honda. My father has over 130K on his 1999 Ody and hasn't had to use it.

The offending Windstar head gaskets never saw 90K miles before failure.

If this is the best defense you have, then your argument is irrelevant because Ford did the same thing and then more. I know, I had one. I had a 1995 Thunderbird with the 3.8L V6. The head-gasket went in 1998, sold it in 1999 and in April 2000 Ford issued an extended waranty, refunds and special incentives to those effected. First, the warranty was extended to 7 years 100,000 miles to cover repairs. Second, those whom had the failure were reimbursed the full cost of the repairs or they could take a $4000 rebate to be used on any Ford vehicle.

If this is the best defense you have, then your argument is irrelevant because Ford did the same thing and then more. I know, I had one. I had a 1995 Thunderbird with the 3.8L V6. The head-gasket went in 1998, sold it in 1999 and in April 2000 Ford issued an extended waranty, refunds and special incentives to those effected. First, the warranty was extended to 7 years 100,000 miles to cover repairs. Second, those whom had the failure were reimbursed the full cost of the repairs or they could take a $4000 rebate to be used on any Ford vehicle.
Wanna call my father up and tell him how much Ford stands behind their product? 1996 3.8L Windstar, same issues and problems, and Ford told him to pack sand....

Yes, I do believe you are right, that makes it 14 recalls for the Odyssey.

I thought they would stop at a bakers dozen, but recalls on the Honda Odyssey is like a gift that keeps on giving. Its sort of like engine fires and CRVs.....they just go together.

You are exactly right. bec slams Ford for doing the same thing he praises Honda for doing.

To put things in perspective, bec also praises Honda for the non-recall, blame-the-Honda-dealer-technician, its-not-our-fault, non-response, to the infamous CRV fires.

Just more of the bias from bec we are subjected to on a routine basis.

Maybe Honda will finally get around to recalling the CRV after 10 years too, by then there won't be as many left.

Hey Range, got a CR-V, over 60K miles, and still hasn't caught fire. If it needs a recall, then why hasn't mine caught fire yet?

Ok, now another question. What was my father supposed to do to prevent the head gaskets from failing on his Windstar?

See the difference?

Ok, now another question. What was my father supposed to do to prevent the head gaskets from failing on his Windstar?

See the difference?

What are Honda customers supposed to do to prevent their defective transmissions from failing? See the difference? Ahh, no. LOL

How are Honda owners supposed to remedy Honda's defective tranmission design which has insufficient lubrication of the secondary shaft? I guess a good Honda zealot would be underneath their Honda trying to figure out how to lube the defective Honda transmission. What a total POS, and this known defect includes 2004 model Honda and Acuras.

Oh, and what are Honda Odyssey drivers supposed to do while waiting for their 14th recall, wear a pot holder when starting their car to avoid being burned? :extinguish:

Edited by range

Wanna call my father up and tell him how much Ford stands behind their product? 1996 3.8L Windstar, same issues and problems, and Ford told him to pack sand....

Jeez, why didnt you just fix it, and get over it, fairly easy job, did a few of them, all were beat, all had either a leaking hoses, bad stats, or never had a coolant flush.

My mother in-law had a 94 T-Bird 4.6, she called me and said its running hot, I said dont drive it, I will look at it, brother in law decides to drive it, $3600 later, Ford reman long block, all over a $10 t-stat.

Is she bitter like you, nope. car had 120k, at the time of the transplant.

I would bet if it was a Import that failed out of warranty you wouldnt be whinning. You would come up with some excuse. :happy feet:

Jeez, why didnt you just fix it, and get over it, fairly easy job, did a few of them, all were beat, all had either a leaking hoses, bad stats, or never had a coolant flush.

My mother in-law had a 94 T-Bird 4.6, she called me and said its running hot, I said dont drive it, I will look at it, brother in law decides to drive it, $3600 later, Ford reman long block, all over a $10 t-stat.

Is she bitter like you, nope. car had 120k, at the time of the transplant.

I would bet if it was a Import that failed out of warranty you wouldnt be whinning. You would come up with some excuse. :happy feet:

My father took care of his Windstar and it failed. He did what about all of the Windstar customers did after taking a bendover from Ford, he bought another brand product. His attitude in reference to buying a Ford has words in it like "a cold day" and such. I guess that's why I don't understand the arguement. My father is the customer, and the customer is always right.

Range, as far as the transmission failures on the Ody, they are not as previlent as you say (see, I would know, I am a Honda enthusiest as well as a Ford guy) and the transmissions are covered by a 100K warranty. Put that warranty on every troublesome Ford trans and 3.8L engine and the Freestar might still be around. My father bought his 99 Ody with under 100K knowing the transmission was suspect, but also knowing Honda would cover it if it failed under 100K. It now has 128K and no worries. If the trans goes out, he'll go ahead and fix it since he knows the rest of the van is going to stay in one piece and the van still has some residual value, even at high mileag

Oh, and Range, when you had no answer for my question "When is my CR-V catching fire" and "Do you see th difference" you changed the subject...which brings me to another question...

What do you drive, or are you even old enough to drive? Please quite calling me a Honda lover. I own a Ford and Honda, both bought brand new, and both taken care of by me. I think they are both good products, but I will comment realistically on each brand.

you see, the 3.8 is ford's "head gasket" engine. it eats head gaskets. it's documented. i don't care what year, it's just a car to avoid...ford's head gasket engine in any car is just not a good purchase unless you plan that into the cost of ownership or you plan to fix it yourself.

gm's head gasket engine is the 2.8-3.1 v6. don't buy gm's with those engine. any 70's, 80's, or early 90's gm's are also "headliner" cars. buying one of those insures you will be laughed at as your headliner will be blowing in the wind and riding on your scalp until you just pull it all down.

dcx has "transmission" cars...a LOT of the minivans have the "transmission"...you don't buy those. dcx also has the "brake rotor" cars, like anything from diamond star plant. don't buy "brake rotor" dcx cars unless you want warped brake rotors at the first hard stop, or you are willing to upgrade to some aftermarket brake system.

honda has the "transmission", too. if you must own a honda, it's advisable to buy the manual.

it's no answer to those people who feel they've been treated poorly by these companies based on known problems with a particular component, but armed with some information, we can make better buying decisions, right?

(because i get such a chuckle out of range's favorite picture, i don't really know what to call honda's problem with the crv...honda's "cook out" car? honda's "bbq" car? it looks like that will become a genre soon, as nissan is reporting fire problems with the sentra and altima with the inline 4, and dcx's suv seat fires, so i need to come up with a good one!)

Edited by tim kakouris

I had a Acura TL-S with the problem. The first transmission was replaced at 28,000 miles under warranty. The second one started slipping at 62,000 miles so I traded the car in before it failed again. Anyone who plans to own one of these past 100,000 miles should beware, you're on your own and it isn't cheap to fix. Its a common problem with the TLs, I've run into a lot of people who had their transmissions replaced.

you see, the 3.8 is ford's "head gasket" engine. it eats head gaskets. it's documented. i don't care what year, it's just a car to avoid...ford's head gasket engine in any car is just not a good purchase unless you plan that into the cost of ownership or you plan to fix it yourself.

gm's head gasket engine is the 2.8-3.1 v6. don't buy gm's with those engine. any 70's, 80's, or early 90's gm's are also "headliner" cars. buying one of those insures you will be laughed at as your headliner will be blowing in the wind and riding on your scalp until you just pull it all down.

dcx has "transmission" cars...a LOT of the minivans have the "transmission"...you don't buy those. dcx also has the "brake rotor" cars, like anything from diamond star plant. don't buy "brake rotor" dcx cars unless you want warped brake rotors at the first hard stop, or you are willing to upgrade to some aftermarket brake system.

honda has the "transmission", too. if you must own a honda, it's advisable to buy the manual.

it's no answer to those people who feel they've been treated poorly by these companies based on known problems with a particular component, but armed with some information, we can make better buying decisions, right?

(because i get such a chuckle out of range's favorite picture, i don't really know what to call honda's problem with the crv...honda's "cook out" car? honda's "bbq" car? it looks like that will become a genre soon, as nissan is reporting fire problems with the sentra and altima with the inline 4, and dcx's suv seat fires, so i need to come up with a good one!)

I will agree with the headliner problem, but headgasket issues on the 2.8-3.1, were did you get that, now the 3.1 had distributor plug leaks, a o-ring.

Dont buy Gm's with those engings what a crock, my Chevy Z-24 made it to 250k until I spun a rod, then I rebuilt it, In fact the only headgaskets I have ever done were on my dads 1984 Pontiac Pheonix, that had 380k on it when my younger brother over heated it, put gaskets on it and drove it until he sold it at 440k.My dads 3.1 Buick had 480k, hmmmm never had a headgasket issue, having worked at dealers and independent shops I must say these are 2 of Gm's best engines, nothing wrong with them, if you dont take care of them then you get what you deserve.

The 60 degree V-6's from GM have documented intake gasket issues, especially the 3.4, but I haven't heard of many head gasket issues.

As far as automatic transmissions, I really don't know of ANY brand of vehicle that can profess to having a bulletproof FWD automatic transmission. Honda's biggest issue is their electronic lockup clutch sometimes has solinoid issues as well as other electronic issues. As is Honda policy, rather than fix this issue at the dealer, Honda tells their dealers to change the whole trans as a FRU. In a way, this give Honda a bad rap because folks get to say they had their whole transmission go out which usually isn't the truth. I know this sounds like I am defending Honda, but I really don't think I am. They shouldn't fail in the first place, period.

The other issue with Honda transmissions is their stupid STUPID service schedule. On our CR-V they call for a "flush times three" procedure at 100K. This is where you change the fluid, drive it around, change it again, drive it again, then change it a third time. This is so Honda can advertise that their automatic will go 100K before servicing. The REALITY is that if you follow that schedule, you might very well change the fluid at 100K along with the rest of the transmission.

Instead, you should change the fluid ONCE, which changes about 1/3 of it, but you do it EVERY 30K. Valves are supposed to go to 110K but most Honda mechanics will tell you to check em at 60K. My 4wd fluid is supposed to be every 100K but you better change it before 35K or it will make noise because of old fluid. Coolant is "officially" 90K but I'll change that early as well.

hey 05, relax, willya? sorry if i made a remark about your favorite engine. i know lots of people, personally, who've had head gasket issues with the 3.1. so to me, i wouldn't buy one. if it's as bulletproof as you say, consider me corrected. i knew of the intake gasket issues, too, but that is a much easier fix....how about i'll just call them "intake gasket" engines and you can cool off, ok? it's not like i made fun of bec's burning crv or anything! :)

...and lest you still feel slighted, the cars in line AFTER Ford for myself and my family to buy are GM's, so i'm not at all a Ford-Loving GM basher.

Edited by tim kakouris