Color

mustang6172

I'm looking at the color options for the Taurus on Fordvehicles.com and I see two shades of red (one of which is ugly), an ok shade of blue, one black, two shades of white, and three shades of gray. What happened to yellow, green, purple, orange, and pink? I admit that some of those don't offer great resale value, but it brings niche buyers.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking at the color options for the Taurus on Fordvehicles.com and I see two shades of red (one of which is ugly), an ok shade of blue, one black, two shades of white, and three shades of gray. What happened to yellow, green, purple, orange, and pink? I admit that some of those don't offer great resale value, but it brings niche buyers.

I just hope windveil blue with parchment top/ interior comes back to the convertible Mustangs!

You never see yellow, purple, orange or pink on a SEDAN (and for good reason). They're niche colors on sports cars and have no place on sedans. Green is a trendy color that fluctuates between in and out with consumers. it was big in the early 90s and then again a few years ago but not so much now. Now it's earth tones and neutral colors.

• 2 months later...

You never see yellow, purple, orange or pink on a SEDAN (and for good reason). They're niche colors on sports cars and have no place on sedans. Green is a trendy color that fluctuates between in and out with consumers. it was big in the early 90s and then again a few years ago but not so much now. Now it's earth tones and neutral colors.

Blah - I am tired of earth tones and neutrals - they are harder to see when the sky is grey and the ground is grey. I just want Bold whatever the color is.

Not long ago, I counted car colors while running through the neighborhood. I only counted cars less than ten years old, and which were not obviously commercial vehicles (which may be painted non-factory colors, or may have different color choice than personally owned vehicles).

About two thirds of the cars were "grayscale" colors -- white, black, gray, silver.

About two thirds of the rest of the cars were red, blue, gold (mostly Toyotas), or dark green (mostly older vehicles within the ten year range).

That left only a few that were other colors like purple, bright green, or brown.

So it is not surprising that a car company would play it safe by offering only the "grayscale" colors, red, and blue, especially on a larger car more likely to be bought by older people with more conservative tastes.

However, I knew someone who (at least several years ago) had an orange Audi A4 sedan (it was a factory color, but a rare one). I also once (years ago) saw a utility company owned Ford Contour (natural gas fueled) that was painted in a metallic color that changed between green and pink depending on lighting conditions. And I recently saw a magenta Ford Fiesta sedan (not at a Ford dealer), as well as two green (lime squeeze) Ford Fiesta sedans (one at a Ford dealer, one on the road).

Edited by tjl

So it is not surprising that a car company would play it safe by offering only the "grayscale" colors, red, and blue, especially on a larger car more likely to be bought by older people with more conservative tastes.

I know three people who have the same :shrug: chevy :shrug: truck and they argue that they aren't the same color - because one is gold birch and one is silver birch and the other just says it it birch - they all look the same to me. UGLY! and I am just saying the color - not counting the fact that they are chevy.

Forget about the Dodge Neon? I see those in pink, purple, neon green - basically all the nasty colors. I am glad that model is done and over with :wacko:

Well, those colors were in the first generation Neons; the second generation Neons seemed to be more conservative in colors.

But the most common first generation Neon colors were white and blue. Unfortunately, those were also the colors that peeled off, leaving big patches of primer gray on the car.

The colors I liked the most were the Dark Highland Green on the 2001 Bullitt Mustang and the tad lighter Highland Green on the '08/'09 Bullitts. The Atlantis Green on the 2010 Taurus was nice too and figures they discontinued it this year. . .just when I'm buying an '11 SHO. There was a Mystic Chrome back in '96 that was sweet too. So I've picked Sterling Gray for my '11 SHO. Now if it would just get here from the factory I could enjoy it!