5.0 ticking noise

coupe3w

I've been reading on some other sites there are some people complaining about a ticking noise in the 5.0 engines in Mustangs. This usually happens after warm up and between 800 to 2000 RPM. This seams to happen after the first oil change, even if the oil was changed at a Ford dealership. Any one have this problem? Looks like it is 3 out of 10 cars that have the problem.

Edited by coupe3w

• 2 weeks later...

I've been reading on some other sites there are some people complaining about a ticking noise in the 5.0 engines in Mustangs. This usually happens after warm up and between 800 to 2000 RPM. This seams to happen after the first oil change, even if the oil was changed at a Ford dealership. Any one have this problem? Looks like it is 3 out of 10 cars that have the problem.

I have about 3500 miles on my 5.0. I changed the oil at 3000 miles, as I have always done with new cars. I refilled with Mobil 1, 5W-20 and used the Motorcraft filter. So far no ticking noise. I have been using Mobil 1 since 1978, and never had an engine problem.

I have about 3500 miles on my 5.0. I changed the oil at 3000 miles, as I have always done with new cars. I refilled with Mobil 1, 5W-20 and used the Motorcraft filter. So far no ticking noise. I have been using Mobil 1 since 1978, and never had an engine problem.

SDCALSPCL....How often will you change your oil, using Mobil 1?

Thanks

Edited by provider

• 2 weeks later...

SDCALSPCL....How often will you change your oil, using Mobil 1?

Thanks

Sorry for the delay in answering. I have been away and just came back. I always follow the manufacturers requirements as long as I am under warranty. I purchased the Premium Care(7/100) on my 5.0, so I will take it in to the dealer for the next one. I will most likely change twice a year, or when the Mustangs system tells me too. Even with that, I am thinking of changing the filter when the oil clock shows 50%, as I believe the weak link in the high mile oil change intervals is the filter. The majority of my driving is Interstate at 75, with very little city driving.

My last car was a 2009 VW CC with a once a year or 10,000 mile change requirement, as does my wife's 2009 Passat station wagon.

My question is, and no one seems able to answer it, why is the replacement Motorcraft filter almost half the size of the filter that came from the factory on the new 5.0 V8? That scares me, and that is why I am going to change filters inbetween oil changes. Maybe I am just paranoid :)