Charity instead of Union Dues ?

MTP-REP

I have been told by some people that you can opt out of paying union dues and have the money that would go to union dues go to a charity of your choice and I was wondering if anyone knows of this and if it is true ?

Edited by MTP-REP

I have been told by some people that you can opt out of paying union dues and have the money that would go to union dues go to a charity of your choice and I was wondering if anyone knows of this and if it is true ?

Yes it is true.

Go to your local Monday and demand your dues go to a charity of your choice for the next 12 months

Its a new program.

That $50 a month should go to my charity..... My Pocket Book.

Go to the local and demand them to stop deducting union dues. We can do much better with wages, benefits and job security without them.

• Like 1

Yes it is true.

Go to your local Monday and demand your dues go to a charity of your choice for the next 12 months

Its a new program.

That $50 a month should go to my charity..... My Pocket Book.

Go to the local and demand them to stop deducting union dues. We can do much better with wages, benefits and job security without them.

You can quit paying dues, put in for a management position. By most of your posts on here, I bet your one of the biggest suck asses in your plant.

Yes it goes directly to Barack Obama for spending money while he is on any future vacations..

• Like 1

If you opt out it doesn't go to charity. It goes to buy the turkeys they give away in Labor Relations at Thanksgiving.

The answer is NO (in the U.S.A. not sure about Canada but I cant see they would be much different), you cant have your dues go to a charity rather than to the Union. As stated before, you can have the portion of your dues refunded to you that is for non-collective bargaining purposes. It is only $0.34 of each dues payment that goes to political causes (that why we have VCAP). You have the right to ask for your $0.34 back each month. You have the right to go to your Local and see the dues break down (they have it and have to supply you with a copy at your demand). To go through all that for $0.34 is kinda ridiculous but it is your right. Did you not read the card when you signed up when you were hired? read what it says and states clearly that you have to pay dues and you allow dues directly out of your paycheck for collective bargaining purposes.

***Strickley Opinion ***

99.9% of those that want their dues to go to something other than the Union usually are the ones that didnt get what they wanted out of the Union. They either asked for a ridiculous demand or tried to 'buck' the system and failed. Its usually some cry baby that has an attendance, drug-alcohol problem or they did get the job they wanted through no fault but their own (attendance is usually the case).

*** End of Opinion ***

Also, you cant bargain for yourself, because the company has signed an exclusive agreement with the Union the be the exclusive bargaining agent for the employees recognized within the bargaining unit. In right to work states, the ones who opt out of Union representation have to accept the same wage/benefits as the those that pay Union dues. The Union also has to represent those that opt out of Union dues the same as a dues paying member. The Union also has to absorb the cost involved as well. Its a tactic to try and thwart Union membership in those states.

*** Opinion again ***

I think those in right to work states that dont pay dues shouldnt be represented by the Union, as they have opted out. But if that were the case, they they would be allowed to bargain for themselves and you know the company would pay the one's that opt out more just to sway for a non-union shop,

*** End of Opinion ***

Tapper

** No, Im not a representative or have been one. I did major in labor relations in college and have a 4yr degree in the field. No, I would never take a job with labor relations. I would never take a job that made me an employee-at-will