new Focus first drive reviews

timinac

Looks like all of these publications have blown a raspberry to Ford's information embargo...it was supposed to be in effect until Midnite Monday.

Yeah, Edmunds broke first. Frequently, they can break embargo if somebody else does (it makes it so that 'somebody else' doesn't benefit as much from breaking it.

So, after reading the first opinions, what's your take?

Seem to be concerns with the PowerShift and the way it shifts or doesn't; MyFord Touch is cumbersome and slow; and steering feel. Threads certainly run through the journalist camp: when one bird flies off the wire, they all do.

Anybody got a build date?

Edited by fusion37

So, after reading the first opinions, what's your take?

Seem to be concerns with the PowerShift and the way it shifts or doesn't; MyFord Touch is cumbersome and slow; and steering feel. Threads certainly run through the journalist camp: when one bird flies off the wire, they all do.

I thought the reviews are pretty positive and encouraging. Yeah, some nitpicking, but I think it's going to be a good car. As for My Ford Touch, people who have it seem to love it, there is just a learning curve. Journalists don't have the car long enough to learn and get used to it.

I'm interested that they are saying it upshifts on it's own, because the manual says it doesn't (says it will only down shift to prevent stall, but wont upshift). For button placement, I'm planning on installing some buttons on the back side of the wheel (behind the airbag), but we shall see.

I know my dealer has some build dates, but not on my car yet :cry:

The reviews are a little disappointing when talking about the transmission. I just hate the fact that Ford punted when it came to manual control of the dual clutch auto. I've had a car with the toggle switch and it just plain sucks. It's disappointing to read that the manual isn't all that great either. I was hoping that there would be enough enthusiast blood in the car that I wouldn't be left craving the ST for another year.

I'm interested that they are saying it upshifts on it's own, because the manual says it doesn't (says it will only down shift to prevent stall, but wont upshift).

I really hope it does upshift from the gear I have selected if I have it floored into redline as long as it downshifts to that selected gear when I lift the throttle and the rpm has fallen enough. I would prefer that to holding at the rev limiter and stop accelerating, especially when autocrossing. From the gear ratios and comparing to my Contour SVT, I think there will be a lot of borderline times when you really need 3rd gear for a second or two, but not long enough to be worth upshifting (and I think that can be an advantage the auto may have over the manual). What I don't want is to be riding the throttle in a sweeper 500-1000 rpm below redline and have it decide to upshift since I'm not hard on the gas anymore. I guess we'll see. MotorTrend had an early drive review of an auto Fiesta where they put the shifter in L (no SelectShift available) and they loved it for autocrossing. I'm gambling the Focus will be the same. Guess we'll see.

Regarding the reports on the transmissions shifting/hunting issues, you can bet that the boys in engineering are listening, these issues are probably going to be confronted with a software change of some kind. Ford, as we all know listens very well.. I cannot wait to get my hands on this car.

Negative comments made that drew my attention.

•  
  • Sharp edges at the upper lip of the truck
  • Sport mode on Power Shift transmission, not very sporty
  • up/down ala auto-stick gear selection buttons in asinine location on side of the shifter, (this seems to be the opinion of those that would use it most)
  • Seats don't fold flat. (could be untrue so I 'll see for myself)
  • Not enough power (waiting for the 1.6 liter EB engine)
  • Subwoofer looks like a cheap bolt on and takes of unnecessary amount of room....again due to poor design

The positives are almost everything else you can think of....in comparison to everything else in the same class.

Edited by Mackintire

They aren't building any customer orders until the OK to ship has passed. Not sure when that will be, but I have to tell myself it's well worth the wait. Especially after seeing some of these reviews.

I probably should of posted these here, but I started a thread in the main forum combining all the links to the reviews.

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/43212-2012-ford-focus-starts-build-today-13111/

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I drove an SE 5 door with selectshift today and it was better than I expected based on some of the comments. For comparisno I have a 2006 ZX3 w/ 5 speed.

I was quiet, rode good, shifted well, etc.

The only thing that caught my attention was that when you step on the gas there is enough hesitation to be noticeable. Then all of a sudden it takes off sharply.

That would take some time to get used to . Probably the software allowing the clutch pack to engage smoothly rather than with a bang.. Once umderway shifts were barely perceptable and very quick. No flare or anything between shifts

I guess I will very soon order a Titanium 5 dr.to replace the ZX3 which I am giving to my youngest son.

Saltracer.