6 speed manual problem?

broncoman71

I'm glad I signed up here. I'm in the market for a V6 Mustang and this thread was an eye opener.

Month or so ago, I test drove 2 V6 Mustangs with a stick. A 2011 convertible and a 2012 coupe w/3.31 gears.

First impression of the 2011 was how sensitive the clutch was, and how rough the shifting was, especially 1-2. shift. I attributed it to not being used to the clutch in that car and tight shifting in a new car. Couple weeks later I test drove the 2012 and the clutch seemed easier to control and shifting seemed to be much smoother.

Just thought I would throw in my .02 here-

I had the problem with the clutch pedal sticking when shifting at high rpms (around 6200 to 6400). There was a TSB

and the pedal assembly was replaced- problem solved in my case. I have had no other problems with this transmission-

no notchy, no grinding, not hard to get into gear. I am happy with this car/tranny and feel I will be able to enjoy it for years

to come. The car has not been tracked, and doubt it ever will, but it has been run through the gears many times...

hard not too, it's soooo much fun, even for a senior citizen as myself.

There are always problems with new vehicles, but that is why we have warrantys. If you do not want to have potential problems then your best bet is to wait a few years to make sure all the bugs (big and small) are worked out. I bought a new 05 when they came out

and loved it, but the 11 is just so much more.

Gawker media sites have gone from 1.75 million average views a day to less than 250,000 in the last couple of months and they're using anything they can to get the eyes back so their ad revenue doesn't fall even more.

A sensationalistic approach to a few problems doesn't surprise me. Did you read the article? "Fifteen owners have lodged safety complaints", but when you actually go the NTSB's http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/ site and look, there are 21 reports of problems with the 2011 Mustang (of the close to 66,000 sold) and no transmission related issues were reported to have a crash, fire, injury or death associated with the report.

Kinda hard to claim safety issues without one of those having been the result, wouldn't you say?

In fact, of the whole list, the only incidents reported that had actual accidents were 2 from GT 500 drivers who lost control when they floored it... apparently they feel that spinning tires wasn't something one should expect from a GT 500

Read them, they're a gas!

I guess they need a warning label like the superman outfit "Caution: cape does not enable wearer to fly"

I guess they need a warning label like the superman outfit "Caution: cape does not enable wearer to fly"

How true this statment is considering the current trends. The April Road and Track gave the transmission a good test and the only negetive comment was. The shift throw is too long. I have a 3rd qtr. build I wish I could get it sooner.

• 2 weeks later...

Mr hrspwr, I do not put you in this catagory. It is obvious that you have the clunky issue. Hopefully it resolves itself to your satisfaction, soon. Ford does have Mustang production shut-down right now. They haven't said alot about it. One wonders if the trans is one of the reasons. They will get your issue fixed, soon I hope. As for the other issue, often times there is no fix for that.

Thanks! I am happy to report that now, after 1000 miles the problem with shifting is WAY better than before. :) Not a perfect shift but pretty darn good. Maybe this will smooth out even more with time. As you can tell, I am in a much better frame of mind now, with some of that bitter tone gone. I urge anyone with the shifting problem to give the car a reasonable break-in period first. I also believe it COULD be a clutch break-in issue, as the clutch moves much smoother now also. As for the dealer's service department, I NEVER heard back from them at all. :blink:

• Like 1

Hi all this is my 1st post on the site and seems like great people on here. I just wanted to say that I am still having issues with my 6 speed trans on my 2011 Mustang. I have the V6 and I don't drive it like I stole it. I enjoy it and half the time if I ever want to give it a get up and go, I am getting on the highway since the power really is in the range of 3k or higher. I love my car and treat it like it is the last one I will have. I even talked the wife into letting me have the garage all the time for it. I have been on the nhtsa website too and only seen a few of the complaints, one being mine. Yet, I continue to read on forums and sites of the same issues. I even held off on my mustang when I was reading about the clutch pedal assembly because of the sticking pedal until I was seeing it seemed they had the fix for it. So far my pedal hasn't stuck once but then again very rare I even get my car up to the 6k RPM much less hit 7k. I do have the rough 2nd gear shifting and a bit rough into 3rd now and then, and even harsh vibrations when going down hill in 3rd and 4th. The way I look at it if it is still shifting and going into gear and have yet to see a TSB that fixed the issue or a full reasoning behind the issues with a resolution then hold off. If you replace the parts with the same parts that are having the issue, might be worse 2nd time around. I am just holding my breath and faith in Ford to find a resolution to it. I was a GM guy most my life and had issues with almost every GM vehicle I owned new or used. So went to a 08 Taurus and loved it and saw how Ford was doing with what they could to make a statement and come back in quality and great rides. So I hope they are truly attempting to find a resolution to the issues for the 2011 people and able to get it taken care of for all you 2012 folks in waiting for your great ride. Specially those who are getting into the BOSS. In case you are wondering I have 2700 miles on my car and have had it since Jan. So you see I don't drive it hard or a lot, just my daily driver to and from work for most days. Thanks all for listening to me babble on :blah:

Are you saying that you've not taken it in to be repaired?

That is correct, because with the same symptoms as most are reporting and have taken it in for repair and have had same problems come back sometimes even worse than originally reported. No reason to take it in at this point until there is a newer TSB besides fluid which many reported did no good either. So far I can still get it into gear and it stays in gear. I am not having the issue where some have reported it kicking back out of gear. Hoping my luck holds out and doesn't get worse before a resolution is in place.

No reason to take it in at this point

I'd take it in if it were my car. It's up to you of course, but at least you'd have your problem documented. Yeah, it might get worse, but on the other hand, the problem might get fixed.

Edited by DCS

I'd take it in if it were my car. It's up to you of course, but at least you'd have your problem documented. Yeah, it might get worse, but on the other hand, the problem might get fixed.

Yeah might be right, I have it documented on the nhtsa website to help along with the other complaints, but might be good to even have it on record with the dealership before the clutch gets to much life on it so they cannot say wear and tear.

Ive been reading all about this issue on the web. One solution I read about was getting a tri-ax shifter or using a Barton short throw shifter. Im not sure if this application will do anything better or allieviate this issue, as im waiting for my car, to install it. (Ordered, now awating shipping).

Ive been reading all about this issue on the web. One solution I read about was getting a tri-ax shifter or using a Barton short throw shifter. Im not sure if this application will do anything better or allieviate this issue, as im waiting for my car, to install it. (Ordered, now awating shipping).

Let me know about the barton shifter I was looking at getting that along with the better bracket, but didn't want to put the money into it with the issues taking place. Also would hate for to install it and a dealer try to be a pain and be like oh it is your shifter and so that would void a warranty. I know it is rare in situations but have heard and read some horror stories from the simplest of mods. But also just let me know how you like the barton shifter as I know they worked hard at reducing the travel by 40% with the modified pivot set up.

Let me know about the barton shifter I was looking at getting that along with the better bracket, but didn't want to put the money into it with the issues taking place. Also would hate for to install it and a dealer try to be a pain and be like oh it is your shifter and so that would void a warranty. I know it is rare in situations but have heard and read some horror stories from the simplest of mods. But also just let me know how you like the barton shifter as I know they worked hard at reducing the travel by 40% with the modified pivot set up.

Will do. I was looking into, since I was reading about folks driving the GT 6Speed "spirited" and missing shifts, but Barton's is supposed to fix. I will post back in 2 weeks once it is installed. Im also going to use the bracket as well.

...wow, am I taken aback by all this. I read many, many posts for a few hours last night on the allfordmustangs site and can hardly believe it. Was tinkering with the idea of ordering a 2011 or 2012 6spd GT, but now will hold off. Lot of horror stories out there on super low mileage cars-can't believe it, especially since Ford has been pushing quality so much now. Sure hope they get it together for all the owners. Even a couple of the YouTube videos showing drivability issues are disturbing. Sure hope Ford comes along with a good fix soon.

...wow, am I taken aback by all this. I read many, many posts for a few hours last night on the allfordmustangs site and can hardly believe it. Was tinkering with the idea of ordering a 2011 or 2012 6spd GT, but now will hold off. Lot of horror stories out there on super low mileage cars-can't believe it, especially since Ford has been pushing quality so much now. Sure hope they get it together for all the owners. Even a couple of the YouTube videos showing drivability issues are disturbing. Sure hope Ford comes along with a good fix soon.

Me too, and yeah I am on that forum also. I took my car in and they said they couldn't recreate the rough 1-2 shift, and oddly enough when I picked it up it felt good as new. They didn't do a fluid change or nothing. The weather though was nice 75 degrees and not sure if that changed anything either. I still have the rough shift time to time, so since it isn't as bad as some others I have read I am not pushing the issue too hard. I have done the NHTSA website and now have it logged with my dealership. So my biggest hope is a true fix comes out soon before any issues get worse.

• 5 weeks later...

Interesting. I first posted when the weather here was a balmy 42 degrees :cold: . Now that it's in the 60 to 90 degree region the car shifts fine. I finally, after calling the man at the top, got the dealer's service department on the line and the tech says to bring it in and they will change the trans oil to a lighter type. Seems the warmer weather DOES make it shift better by thinning the factory trans oil some. They said the NEW replacement oil should do the trick and stop the balky shifting and sticking. I hope it works. :unsure:

Interesting. I first posted when the weather here was a balmy 42 degrees :cold: . Now that it's in the 60 to 90 degree region the car shifts fine. I finally, after calling the man at the top, got the dealer's service department on the line and the tech says to bring it in and they will change the trans oil to a lighter type. Seems the warmer weather DOES make it shift better by thinning the factory trans oil some. They said the NEW replacement oil should do the trick and stop the balky shifting and sticking. I hope it works. :unsure:

I hope that it works for you. There are many who said that it didn't and also started to develop a whine after so long. Other have said that it seemed to work for sometime. The weather is really nice and hot here in Texas but my notchiness is getting worse in my transmission. I am still holding out that there will be something around the corner. I cannot take a loss at trading it in and plus I don't want to get rid of my car. I like the way it looks and the get up and go is nice. Also a plus the A/C is wonderful which with 100 degree weather already that is a big plus. :hyper: