Next Gen PIs

T'Cal

I have a couple of brochures I received from Ford while attending an introduction for the Taurus-based PI Sedan last year. In the ones I have, it Ford brags that it and the Explorer-based PI Utility will employ the identical drivetrain system - the 3.5L TiVCT V6 with minimum output at 280 hp, FWD, and available AWD. While attending the Detroit Auto Show last month and the Chicago Auto Show this past weekend, I saw both sedans on display. Next to the PI Utility was a placard that read that the engine in it was a 300 hp 3.7L V6 with AWD standard. The PI Sedan's placard advised that its engine was the 3.5L V6 and it too had AWD standard with FWD optional. In Detroit no one was at Ford at the time to answer any questions. In Chicago, the Ford reps looked at the placards and then mindlessly spewed what they just read without a whole lot of conviction. I was told that FWD was "an option." I asked if that was a delete option and the guy looked at me blankly and then said, "All wheel drive is standard and front wheel drive is optional."

Can anyone from Ford confirm any of this?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a couple of brochures I received from Ford while attending an introduction for the Taurus-based PI Sedan last year. In the ones I have, it Ford brags that it and the Explorer-based PI Utility will employ the identical drivetrain system - the 3.5L TiVCT V6 with minimum output at 280 hp, FWD, and available AWD. While attending the Detroit Auto Show last month and the Chicago Auto Show this past weekend, I saw both sedans on display. Next to the PI Utility was a placard that read that the engine in it was a 300 hp 3.7L V6 with AWD standard. The PI Sedan's placard advised that its engine was the 3.5L V6 and it too had AWD standard with FWD optional. In Detroit no one was at Ford at the time to answer any questions. In Chicago, the Ford reps looked at the placards and then mindlessly spewed what they just read without a whole lot of conviction. I was told that FWD was "an option." I asked if that was a delete option and the guy looked at me blankly and then said, "All wheel drive is standard and front wheel drive is optional."

Can anyone from Ford confirm any of this?

I was sitting behind a new Taurus at a traffic light today and for the first time got a good look at it. Seems a lot narrower than the old PI. But what caught my eye was the truck alignment. Seemed off and the taillights had a pronounced misalignment. Odd as the quality control on every one of my personal Fords has been excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

I understand that the new Taurus has had some improvements over the 2008-2009 Taurus but the older one is much bigger on the inside. The roof is taller, the greenhouse is larger, the headroom, hip room, and trunk seem much bigger. I wish Ford would've used the '08-'09 body for the PI only while using the new one for the civilian model. They were making the Taurus & Sable and the Five Hundred and Montego side by side for years. Why not the civilian and PI, too?

I understand that the new Taurus has had some improvements over the 2008-2009 Taurus but the older one is much bigger on the inside. The roof is taller, the greenhouse is larger, the headroom, hip room, and trunk seem much bigger. I wish Ford would've used the '08-'09 body for the PI only while using the new one for the civilian model. They were making the Taurus & Sable and the Five Hundred and Montego side by side for years. Why not the civilian and PI, too?

You know you are 100% right! I like the Taurus a lot....and wouldn't mind picking one up, but do i want to drive what would look like a cop car, or a taxi? I think its worse than dumping them into rental fleets. And while were at it, Can we get a SHO only grill? Is that to much to ask?