Eco-boost finally in my Driveway!

nemosdad

Interesting piece of news for those that tow, the literature states a class IV hitch receiver. It is in fact a class V hitch receiver. I'll post back on Sat. with the fuel conversions for the above posted fuel economy. Ps, another bonus for those that tow, the trailer brake controller works like an electronic version of a hydraulic unit. You don't have to wait for gain to build, the computer relates instantaneous gain based on pedal pressure! Massive bonus that took me by surprise.

So, for a newbie to full size trucks and towing ... this braking thing. I was reading up on time delay and proportional controllers ... and wasn't really liking the time delayed variety. Sounds like the factory TBC works more like a proportional? Am I following that right?

So, for a newbie to full size trucks and towing ... this braking thing. I was reading up on time delay and proportional controllers ... and wasn't really liking the time delayed variety. Sounds like the factory TBC works more like a proportional? Am I following that right?

Word is the Factory controller will outperform any of the aftermarket units, it's definitely not time delay based.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Sorry I've been gone so long gang. Just had nothing new to report. Untill a month ago. Right around the 6500km range (or maybe right at 6500km) my fuel economy spiked hard! I'd stopped trying to get great fuel economy out of this truck and just drove it like any other vehicle(much more fun!) My economy before the above mentioned mileage was about 17l/100km in town (14mpg) NOT GOOD! My highway mileage wasn't a lot better.

However at 6500km something wonderful happened! I put a new tank of fuel somewhere in that range, and got 13.5 to 14.1 for the entire tank! (21mpg to 20mpg) in TOWN! (My observation on the read out..averaged 14 on the nose after the tank got low. (Sorry folks, only highway miles during that time were towing, and I didn't keep track.....I will now though.)

Thought it might be an aberation because I put a different brand fuel in (Mohawk vs Chevron) but I'm back to Chevron 91 Octane and getting the same great results.

I haven't posted but I've kept watch and I'd like to share a few things. My receiver is a class V hitch. Not a class IV. As far as I know a class IV won't let you tow 11000#'s plus. Those of you with your trucks already, pls verify this by looking at the tag on your receiver.

Shudder. When my truck was new I had shudder issues when towing a heavy load. Despite some posters irrefutable evidence of tranny probs, I never thought this shudder I felt was tranny related. When cold, I put my hand on the exhaust tip and felt a huge amount of vibration! Couldn't feel it in the cab though! So I popped the hood and watched the engine dance! This motor is NOT smooth! It's a brutal powerplant that should shake, but is tempered by (what I can only assume are very soft motor mounts)

In the last month I've noticed a huge difference in the way the tranny shifts. The ecoboost is so quiet that if the stereo is on you can't hear it shift (rpm related.) I used to feel the shift (unloaded) but I can't anymore. (Sorry didn't keep track when this happened, might of been at 6500km) The only way I can tell if the truck shifts now is to have the stereo off and to verify by the gear indicator when activated. There is NO vibration or shudder when towing. At any thrust level.

Speaking of the gears. The tow/haul mode is brilliant for those of you encountering hilly declines! You really don't need the gear lock out feature with the tow/haul. If you're going down a steep hill ( in tow/haul) the computer knows you want to keep your current speed, and downshifts for you. I used it today, entered a long hill at around 60km/h in fifth gear. As speed picked up the tranny geared down to fourth, then third, then second (did I mention I live in a really hilly place?) Also, subsequent taps on the break will manually downshift for you.

In response to the question about time delay (sorry If I'm a little late) there is NONE with the integrated controller. It's based off of pedal pressure, not time.

I will keep track of highway #'s and towing now that I know there is a set richness level (computer mandated break in period) Be back in less than a month!

Thanks for the update. I'm in your same boat. My mileage is NOTHING to write home about right now ( about 14.6 MPG, 50/50 city /hwy mix). I too am done babying it. I'm just driving it like I want. I also hear there is a computer mandated break in period of 1,000 miles. Not sure if it's confirmed by Ford, but almost everybody says wait till then. Your post seems to confirm that theory also. I only have 600 miles on the truck so we'll see what happens in a month or so :shrug:

Can anyone confirm what the receiver tag says on their truck? Class level. Thx.

Hydro, my mileage didn't change a lick untill 6500km. The good news is that when I stopped trying to take it easy and drove normal, my gas mileage didn't really change. Even if I drove it hard. Maybe the faster up to speed time and more time cruising was the trick for same fuel economy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Truck came in yesterday! Power is unreal. Fuel economy, not sure. Gonna play with the screens and see if I'm reading it wrong.

GVWR 7700

F axle is 3900

R is 4050

I'll post some pics when the weather clears up.

Congrats!

I assume the 7700lbs GVWR comes from the max tow package. What are the doing to justify that? Springs? Anything else?

I agree, I'll get the max tow package partially for the nice tow mirrors! Once you tow a TT, you'll appreciate them!

Thanks a lot,

flixden.

• 3 weeks later...

Flixden, whole truck shudders in first and second gear when accelerating with a heavy load. Seems like Ford released a tsb on the matter some time in early October. Not tranny related though. It is as some others have speculated, axle wrap. Tsb has two parts. First is shims to change pinion angle and b is new springs. Ps. seems to happen mainly to the 157" wheel base trucks, but is not limited to it.

Dealer said there were no fixes for the issue, and that Ford Canada had no knowledge of it, nor did they say they knew about a tranny re-flash. Low and behold, when I got my truck back, my gear indicator now stays on all the time. A sure sign that Ford reprogrammed something.

Trailer I was towing earlier that was supposed to be 7000# felt a lot heavier than that, so I phoned the owner and he said he read the info wrong and it was 6 800kg! Which would also be wrong because there is no way his trailer is 15 000 lbs. Next time I go over, I'll check for myself.

TSB

11-9-17

Released Oct 3, 2011

ISSUE:

Some 2010-2011 F-150 4X4 CrewCab with 3.988 m (157") wheelbase built on or before 6/21/2011 may exhibit a shudder/vibration on moderate to hard acceleration.

It is important to confirm how the vehicle is driven the majority of the time (loaded or unloaded) as adjusting the drive-line angle may result in a shudder or vibration if vehicle payload changes frequently.

This procedure should only be used to correct or improve a shudder or vibration in described condition as per vehicle build configuration.

Some shudder/vibration on take-off may be normal under heavy-load or trailer tow conditions. Refer to the Owners Guide and Towing Guide for additional information/specifications regarding towing and vehicle loading. With spring configuration on 3.988 m (157") wheelbase, the shudder/vibration concern may occur when loaded or unloaded.

This procedure will improve the severity of takeoff shudder/vibration based on vehicle load conditions.

The procedure has you change pinion angle with spacers and/or replace rear springs to the latest revision level to Help IMPROVE the shudder.

I'll be phoning Ford service manager tomorrow and letting him know that I'm doing his work for him, maybe I'll ask him if he want's me to put the new springs in for him as well.