2011 Explorer Carpet Protection

I found out replacing the carpet from a chlorine spill was very expensive in my '09 FEH. No luck yet with Husky coming out with a cargo liner so yesterday I cut out a 4'X8' exercise mat ($29 from Sports Authority) to fit the entire cargo area including the second row and had a nice 19"X4' piece leftover for the space behind the third row when those seats are up. That mat can remain when the third row seats are stowed because there is plenty of clearance. The mat is water resistant, matches the stone interior perfect, doesn't slide around and can be rolled-up for storage with velcro straps when all the seats are up. When I Just fold-up the second row seats the mat can be tucked in a little between the back of the second row and still cover the carpet on the back of the second row seats in the up position. The 1/4" thick mat material is similar to close cell foam (if it's not) and with all the seats folded down makes a nice 4' X 6' 5" emergency sleeping area for you or the kids.

There is an area that sticks out for the third row seating for drink holders and storage that the mat can be cut to fit but my wife wanted it to stay and protect about 2 1/2" higher on the sides from scratches. This mat will not protect against large spills like the Husky cargo liner with the 3" lip all around the sides, but it will protect the carpet from a lot of things. The 19" X 4' mat could be longer also and the Husky cargo liner in my FEH does not protect the back of my second row seats when they are folded down. For these reasons I'm going to purchase an addition exercise mat to cover more of the space behind the third row seat in my Explorer and cut the remaining larger piece for my FEH.

I wanted the stock factory floor mats for looks but need all-weather mats for spills and wear etc. Picked-up a heavy duty set of black rubber mats from Costco for $18 and used the factory mats for templates to cut them to fit. The factory drivers mat has an area below the brake pedal that does not protect the carpet from sand and dirt from your shoes like I want so I extended the aftermarket mat to better protect that area. The front passenger side factory mat was fine so I cut the aftermarket mat the same. The factory rear mats are much larger than the aftermarket mats but there is nothing with either rear mats to protect the carpet on the center lump between them. For only $18 I'm going to get another aftermarket set from Costco and cut out the front set to match the larger rear factory mats. I'll have enough aftermarket mat to cover the small center area also. I'll keep the original factory mats in place and cover them with the aftermarket mats. This way I can remove the aftermarket mats to ride in class or when they need cleaning and still have protection of the carpet and a clean interior.

Can anyone give us feedback that ordered the all-weather mats for the 2011 Explorer? That's still an option for me if the fit and finish looks good and does the job.

Gary,

I have the $75 doller option mats that I initially didn't want but were on my Ex on the dealer lot. After this winter, I'm glad I have them as they trapped anthing that was brought into the vehicle and kept it off of the carpet. They are very high quality and clean up very easily. I highly recommend them.

Gary,

I have the $75 doller option mats that I initially didn't want but were on my Ex on the dealer lot. After this winter, I'm glad I have them as they trapped anthing that was brought into the vehicle and kept it off of the carpet. They are very high quality and clean up very easily. I highly recommend them.

Thanks, does the driver's mat snap in like the standard mats?

So the $75 Ford mats will suffice or are the Husky ones a better quality/higher grade option? Just deciding what to do when my car finally shows up. Of course the snow and winter weather should be gone by then (please please be gone), but they are probably good to have in the spring as well with all the rain we get.

Have the factory extra ones but just ordered a set of Huskies as they seem to cover more carpet area. Thye only thing they are lacking is a set for the 3rd row. Should arrive any day now and will give feedback.

Thanks, I forgot about the third row! I'll wait for your feedback on the Huskies.

Have the factory extra ones but just ordered a set of Huskies as they seem to cover more carpet area. Thye only thing they are lacking is a set for the 3rd row. Should arrive any day now and will give feedback.

Would like to hear what you have to say about the Huskies as well.

Anybody out there have the WeatherTech brand and can shed light on those?

We have a problem Houston:

The Huskies will not work in the second row if you have the bucket seats and center console, you will have to trim the back. Called Husky and advised them of the problem for which they were grateful and unaware you could do that configuration. They are going to adjust their mold once they can get their hands on a Ex with that configuration to trim a template against. Other then that the fronts fit pretty good and cover a good bit of the carpet. The rear mat may need to heat up a bit and shape itself as its has some bulging on the sides. They are going to be making something for the third row so stay tuned.