8 Passenger Flex

There's been a lot of talk about the future of the Flex, and its position in Ford's crowded crossover lineup. One thing that I'd love to see them add, although don't expect them to, is a 3 person 3rd row, which would bring the maximum seating capacity of the Flex up to 8. While I have selfish reasons for wanting this (my girlfriend and I have 6 kids total) I think it could also make some sense since it would further differentiate the Flex within Ford's lineup, and also make it a better competitor to the GM 8 seat crossovers and other competitors. Ford likes to talk about how the Flex is their people mover, so why not make it carry more people than anything else in their lineup? Right now the only 8 passenger option in Ford's lineup is the Expedition, and I'm just not interested in the size, lousy mileage, and inefficient packaging. I like the GMC Acadia well enough, but what I really want is for the Flex to magically get another seating position. I say magically only half jokingly since I'm sure it would require a fair amount of reengineering of the rear end considering how close the suspension parts seem to come to the sides of the current two seat 3rd row, but maybe it wouldn't be that big a deal. It's not like the rear seats in vehicles like the Acadia are that much bigger, they just squeeze out a couple more inches and add a seatbelt (which is really the most important thing: to LEGALLY carry 8 passengers. ;)

Anyway, this has bugged me for a while so I thought I'd float the idea here just for grins.

It could happen, but how much you want to bet that it would be in the form of a Uni-body Expedition? Look at what Ford did with the Freestyle/Taurus X & Old Explorer: redesigned/enlarged the Freestyle/Taurus X & called it the New Explorer. I could see Ford redesigning/enlarging the Flex & re-branding it as an Expedition.

I do not like the Idea one bit, but I wouldn't be one bit surprised if it happened.

Word is the next Expedition will move back to the same frame as the F-150. It's still selling in enough volume and at enough profit to justify keeping it as a full-size full-framer. Flex is another question altogether though. Would be nice to see it get an 8-passenger treatment to give it something over the Explorer.

Word is the next Expedition will move back to the same frame as the F-150. It's still selling in enough volume and at enough profit to justify keeping it as a full-size full-framer. Flex is another question altogether though. Would be nice to see it get an 8-passenger treatment to give it something over the Explorer.

How different is current Expeditions Frame From the F-150? It's as similar as you can get already considering the independent rear suspension on the Expedition. Or is the F-150 going to rear coil springs like the Dodge 1500?

I recently bought an Explorer and opted for the mid row buckets and skipped the middle console just to ensure that my four teens have enough legroom in the middle and rear rows. The buckets move fore and aft, but the three passenger split bench in the middle is fixed. A three person bench in the rear is a great idea for the Explorer and the Flex. With the Explorer taking the place of the smaller Taurus X, there really is no need for the Flex to be on the same show room floor as is. I would rather it be reskinned and turned into a replacement for the ugly and cramped MkT.