replacing the window motor

ewinston

Hello everyone,

My window motor went out on the driverside, and the window is down. Until I get a new motor, is there a way to manually raise the window? Does anyone have any hints on replacing the window motor?

Thanks,

edward

Hello everyone,

My window motor went out on the driverside, and the window is down. Until I get a new motor, is there a way to manually raise the window? Does anyone have any hints on replacing the window motor?

Thanks,

edward

Did a window motor on my 97. Only real way to manually raise it is just pulling up on the glass by hand. You CAN retrofit crank handles on the SN95 door panels, but I guess you're only looking for something temporary.

As for actually replacing the motor...it's not really too difficult, just a bit frustrating and time-consuming since the space you are working with is pretty cramped (I hope you have small hands). I DEFINITELY recommend finding a friend to help so one of you can dig around inside the door frame while the other can hold the glass/regulator in place. If I recall, the only semi-tricky part of replacing the motor on the regulator assembly was trying not to pinch yourself on the gear teeth as you shove everything back into the door panel.

Did a window motor on my 97. Only real way to manually raise it is just pulling up on the glass by hand. You CAN retrofit crank handles on the SN95 door panels, but I guess you're only looking for something temporary.

As for actually replacing the motor...it's not really too difficult, just a bit frustrating and time-consuming since the space you are working with is pretty cramped (I hope you have small hands). I DEFINITELY recommend finding a friend to help so one of you can dig around inside the door frame while the other can hold the glass/regulator in place. If I recall, the only semi-tricky part of replacing the motor on the regulator assembly was trying not to pinch yourself on the gear teeth as you shove everything back into the door panel.

Thanks, you were right, the space inside the door is very cramped. My main fear was the window, I didn't know if it would move once the motor was removed (couldn't tell if there were any springs involved). But once i unscrewed the motor, i was able to raise the window by hand. And it stayed up, but I put in a bolt just in case to keep it up while i was still working on the motor.

Getting the motor out required that I loosen some screws that created a bracket around the motor. With those loosened, i was able to get the motor out. Then using the access holes on either side (one created by removing the door speaker), i was able put the new motor in place and secure it. It worked like a charm. I must have gotten lucky with the gears because they seemed to just go into place without much fiddling. Plus, i couldn't see the gears anyway.

Thanks again,

edward

Thanks, you were right, the space inside the door is very cramped. My main fear was the window, I didn't know if it would move once the motor was removed (couldn't tell if there were any springs involved). But once i unscrewed the motor, i was able to raise the window by hand. And it stayed up, but I put in a bolt just in case to keep it up while i was still working on the motor.

Getting the motor out required that I loosen some screws that created a bracket around the motor. With those loosened, i was able to get the motor out. Then using the access holes on either side (one created by removing the door speaker), i was able put the new motor in place and secure it. It worked like a charm. I must have gotten lucky with the gears because they seemed to just go into place without much fiddling. Plus, i couldn't see the gears anyway.

Thanks again,

edward

Glad it went smoothly. :rockon:

In my case I suppose it may have been more involved. I was replacing the regulator at the same time, which opened up a whole other can of worms. The regulator scissor arm was bent, which caused the window to drag, which in turn burned out the window motor.