Customer point of view: sold order priority and allocation

t4rest

There is no separate allocation for retail orders. A Dealer's allocation for a vehicle line applies to all orders regardless of the order type.

Sorry - bad wording. I was referring to the retail sweep that ME mentioned above. I thought it allowed a retail order to be allocated to a dealer even if their normal stock allocation was not available. I could be wrong.

Thanks,

I have a better understanding of how the systems works. Yes, I'm upset at my dealership but I'll talk with them this afternoon so see what they have to say. I like the dealership here and want to do business with them but I still need an Explorer soon, a simple apology will go along way. Even if I do look elsewhere for the Explorer all the work, maintance, will be done here. I still want to keep my dollars in my town.

Thanks

ME, I realize I have no real part in this thread. However, I just wanted to thank you for helping out these customers. It means alot to them, and alot to others who read these threads.

I think that alot of folks don't understand the enormity of issues of allocation for thousands of dealerships. Then add in parts shortages due to no fault of Ford (such as a tsunami, for example), and not anticipated extreme demand, and it is a situation that many will get upset with.

As for their dealership, I would imagine that there is no attempt to consciously deceive. The reality is, until recently, they have not had to deal with products that have been so popular, that demand is greatly outstripping supply. It will be a learning process on how to deal with this, both from the dealership perspective, and Fords perspective.

Up until recently, dealerships were begging Ford to NOT ship them vehicles. Now it is the exact opposite.............. and it changed within a very short timeframe. Add in the supplier issues due to the recession/depression collapse of the industry, and it is a perfect storm.

That said, when we ordered our 2001 Lightning, in November of 2000, we had no idea when we would have it. We picked it up on April 6th of 2001. Demand outstripping supply is something that can never be anticipated. Thus, if we were to order another vehicle, we would completely understand that it gets here when it gets here.................. and not a moment sooner.

ME, I realize I have no real part in this thread. However, I just wanted to thank you for helping out these customers. It means alot to them, and alot to others who read these threads.

I think that alot of folks don't understand the enormity of issues of allocation for thousands of dealerships. Then add in parts shortages due to no fault of Ford (such as a tsunami, for example), and not anticipated extreme demand, and it is a situation that many will get upset with.

As for their dealership, I would imagine that there is no attempt to consciously deceive. The reality is, until recently, they have not had to deal with products that have been so popular, that demand is greatly outstripping supply. It will be a learning process on how to deal with this, both from the dealership perspective, and Fords perspective.

Up until recently, dealerships were begging Ford to NOT ship them vehicles. Now it is the exact opposite.............. and it changed within a very short timeframe. Add in the supplier issues due to the recession/depression collapse of the industry, and it is a perfect storm.

That said, when we ordered our 2001 Lightning, in November of 2000, we had no idea when we would have it. We picked it up on April 6th of 2001. Demand outstripping supply is something that can never be anticipated. Thus, if we were to order another vehicle, we would completely understand that it gets here when it gets here.................. and not a moment sooner.

Makes sense.....but another version of a perfect storm is, when potential customers cant get what they want from dealer stock and are not willing to wait for a factory order and simply go buy a similar vehicle of another brand.

Some people cant wait for whatever reason, and some aren't willing to wait.

Majority of people that are car-shopping couldn't care less as to why dealers don't have stock, as they want to buy a car NOW. They simply go some place that has something they like, ready to go. Not always a Ford dealer either.

Then there are impulse buyers......They go for a drive and end up at a Ford dealer lot......well, if there is no or little stock on any given model that appeals to them, quite likely another lost sale, as the impulse buyer is now dead in the water. They too don't give a hoot as to what difficulty Ford might have that prevents them from loading up the dealer lots and/or fill dealer orders....Explorer's are a very good example.

Does not matter if it's a supplier issue or a under capacity problem. Ford is in control of it's plants and of it's supply chain, nobody else is.If ford wants to sell, don't make it difficult to buy.!

Edited by Pete

Well, after getting a VIN # and a build week, thank you for the information, we decide by accident to purchase an Explorer from a dealership in Dallas. As it turned out, the interior color, Light Stone, was NOT at all what my wife thought it looked like. We have never seen the color and the brochure didn't quite show it clearly. Since we were at another dealership looking at Explorers, we found one that had everything we wanted and more so we purchased it right there. Charcoal black interior this time. I did call my salesman, and told him in-person, the next day, that I had purchased one elsewhere. That is not something I'm proud of but because of my situation on delivery date, I had no choice. Also because my ordered Explorer was still a month away from delivery I didn't think another dealership would trade.

I've had the Explorer for about a week now and “LOVE IT”. :happy feet:

Well, after getting a VIN # and a build week, thank you for the information, we decide by accident to purchase an Explorer from a dealership in Dallas. As it turned out, the interior color, Light Stone, was NOT at all what my wife thought it looked like. We have never seen the color and the brochure didn't quite show it clearly. Since we were at another dealership looking at Explorers, we found one that had everything we wanted and more so we purchased it right there. Charcoal black interior this time. I did call my salesman, and told him in-person, the next day, that I had purchased one elsewhere. That is not something I'm proud of but because of my situation on delivery date, I had no choice. Also because my ordered Explorer was still a month away from delivery I didn't think another dealership would trade.

I've had the Explorer for about a week now and “LOVE IT”. :happy feet:

Congrats! I'm a huge fan of the charcoal black. I'm glad things worked out for you and hope you'll service the new Explorer at your local dealership. They should have no trouble selling the ordered unit.