Anyone running premium unleaded on their new Eco-Boost F150?

Hi there,

I have been contemplating trading up my 2009 F150 FX4 Crew Long wheel base for a new Lariat Crew long wheel base 4x4. If gas was still cheap I would gladly order the big 6.2L V8 and go with that, but with fuel in Canada up at 1.30 a litre or around 5.00 per gallon US I am looking at buying a new Eco-Boost. I have a couple questions regarding mileage to see if anyone has done this and what the result was: 1. Has anyone tried running good quality non ethanol based premium unleaded on their truck to see if the fuel economy improves at all?

2. I am thinking of going with the factory 20" rims and putting on slightly larger (1 - 2" diameter larger tires) with a heavier load rating on the truck and trading in the Pirelli's that come on it. The tires I would be putting on are about 10 lbs heavier for each wheel and only 1.6" taller. has anyone done this yet and how badly did it effect mileage?

Thanks for any help!

On another forum I post at a guy tried running premium instead of regular. He did get a small fuel mileage increase, but it wasn't enough to offset the cost of the gas. If I recall correctly he only ran one tank of premium through and his truck wasn't completely broke in yet. It wasn't an ideal survey, but he did it.

On another forum I post at a guy tried running premium instead of regular. He did get a small fuel mileage increase, but it wasn't enough to offset the cost of the gas. If I recall correctly he only ran one tank of premium through and his truck wasn't completely broke in yet. It wasn't an ideal survey, but he did it.

Cool beans, I was curious if the computer would adjust timing according to fuel quality because I had read about concerns that the computer riches up the fuel mixture to help keeping the turbos cool so when you are towing or under hard load that it has to burn excess fuel to keep the turbos cooler.

Cool beans, I was curious if the computer would adjust timing according to fuel quality because I had read about concerns that the computer riches up the fuel mixture to help keeping the turbos cool so when you are towing or under hard load that it has to burn excess fuel to keep the turbos cooler.

At the dealership I ordered my F150 from, 2 different salesmen told me that if you run 4 or 5 tanks of premium through, the engine will tune up to premium gas. If you then go back to regular gas, the engine will NOT "de-tune" itself but instead will run badly and you will have to bring it in to get the mechanics to tune it back to regular gas.

I have no idea if this is true or not, but 2 different salesmen on 2 different days said the exact same thing.

At the dealership I ordered my F150 from, 2 different salesmen told me that if you run 4 or 5 tanks of premium through, the engine will tune up to premium gas. If you then go back to regular gas, the engine will NOT "de-tune" itself but instead will run badly and you will have to bring it in to get the mechanics to tune it back to regular gas.

I have no idea if this is true or not, but 2 different salesmen on 2 different days said the exact same thing.

And they are both idiots. The way the engine compensates for the premium fuel is by advancing the timing. It advances it to the point that it begins to knock, then backs off. This can enhance performance. If you then go back to regular, the engine would begin to knock and the computer will retard the timing to compensate. It doesn't take 4 or 5 tankfulls either. It reacts immediately to a change in octane.