NEED HELP - STEERING ISSUES

xtrer

Here is the problem - 2011 F150 Crew Cab, approx. 7000 km on it - recently noticed a knocking sensation in the steering wheel. I have taken it to the dealer - they replaced the entire steering shaft (including the one that comes through the fire wall). At this point they are stumped - have no idea what it is.

Has anyone else heard of this issue - if so is it fixed?

2nd problem - brakes clunk in reverse. It seems as if it's the rear brakes - only do it in reverse.

Feel like giving the keys back - it's very fustrating driving and feeling this clunk in the steering - does on flat, smooth surfaces.

PLEASE - ANY FEEDBACK WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Here is the problem - 2011 F150 Crew Cab, approx. 7000 km on it - recently noticed a knocking sensation in the steering wheel. I have taken it to the dealer - they replaced the entire steering shaft (including the one that comes through the fire wall). At this point they are stumped - have no idea what it is.

Has anyone else heard of this issue - if so is it fixed?

2nd problem - brakes clunk in reverse. It seems as if it's the rear brakes - only do it in reverse.

Feel like giving the keys back - it's very fustrating driving and feeling this clunk in the steering - does on flat, smooth surfaces.

PLEASE - ANY FEEDBACK WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Sorry no one has responded. These boards seem like a Ghost Town lately.

Sounds like you have some rather severe problems that involve risk to your safety (steering and braking are kinda important to me too). If you don't recieve complete satisfaction very soon, contact the owners of the dealership TODAY. I know that there may be Lemon Laws that should apply, but there is most likely a TIME LIMIT, so if the owners avoid you, get an attorney ASAP. Your local county bar association should be able to get you a list of Lemon Law attorneys. Hopefully, it won't rise to that level. You haven't said if you have talked to management or sales or service. Try to talk to management. A good Ford dealer should help you with the problem, but if they don't, refrain form threatening to get an attorney.....just go get one.

Keep us posted. I am interested in your situation because I expect to take delivery of a Platinum F-150 Crew Cab sometime around July 4th.

Sorry no one has responded. These boards seem like a Ghost Town lately.

Sounds like you have some rather severe problems that involve risk to your safety (steering and braking are kinda important to me too). If you don't recieve complete satisfaction very soon, contact the owners of the dealership TODAY. I know that there may be Lemon Laws that should apply, but there is most likely a TIME LIMIT, so if the owners avoid you, get an attorney ASAP. Your local county bar association should be able to get you a list of Lemon Law attorneys. Hopefully, it won't rise to that level. You haven't said if you have talked to management or sales or service. Try to talk to management. A good Ford dealer should help you with the problem, but if they don't, refrain form threatening to get an attorney.....just go get one.

Keep us posted. I am interested in your situation because I expect to take delivery of a Platinum F-150 Crew Cab sometime around July 4th.

Thanks for the respond. No lemon laws - live in Canada. However I am going to pursue the attorney if it does not get fixed asap. Going back in to Ford this week - let's see what they replace this time. I am also thinking of inquiring our local member of Parliament as to why we don't have lemon laws in Ontario. Maybe the time has come for change. Here is my thought - if an Automaker knows that only certain states have lemon laws - you being the auto maker - where would you make sure vehicles with "due to unforseen cercumstances - such as quality control not being up to par for whatever reason" end up? Before anyone rants and raves about quality control being the same for every vehicle off the assembly line - the comment is a general one applying to all automakers.... and no - not every Fusion, Cadillac, or whatever coming off the same assembly line has the same level of quality.

Thanks for the respond. No lemon laws - live in Canada. However I am going to pursue the attorney if it does not get fixed asap. Going back in to Ford this week - let's see what they replace this time. I am also thinking of inquiring our local member of Parliament as to why we don't have lemon laws in Ontario. Maybe the time has come for change. Here is my thought - if an Automaker knows that only certain states have lemon laws - you being the auto maker - where would you make sure vehicles with "due to unforseen cercumstances - such as quality control not being up to par for whatever reason" end up? Before anyone rants and raves about quality control being the same for every vehicle off the assembly line - the comment is a general one applying to all automakers.... and no - not every Fusion, Cadillac, or whatever coming off the same assembly line has the same level of quality.

Good Luck. I don't think Ford would intentionally send inferior vehicles to non Lemon Law areas. I have been a Ford Guy since I was very young and, for me, they are one of the best, if not THE best made vehicles in the world, but I will concede that a very few do get sent out of the factory in non-perfect condition.

Good Luck on getting your problems resolved. I hope the dealer makes things right for you, but still keep me posted.

A little premature to get a laywer involved.

Here is what i would do

Go back and talk with the service manager....find out if they have contacted ford regarding your problems.

If they did, then you would want to know details. And if no satisfatory answer is given to you, then demand a ford rep. to come and look at your truck.

If they did not, then i would go have a chat with the owner.

Now, if a ford rep. decides that there is "no problem" or they cant fix it, it's time for arbortration process to begin, or get legal advice.

document all conversations and visits to the service department.

Lot's of luck

Edited by Pete

I dissagree with that. Being build on a friday or monday image may have been true many years ago, but certainly not in recent years.

They are in fact all of the same quality.

What might happen every once in a while is, that a supplier has a "bad run". Once ford is aware of it, they act quickly to correct it.

Again, i hope all goes well and you give ford time to fix your truck

Edited by Pete

What scenarios are you experiencing the knock? Is it while turning, or going straight? Accelerating, constant speeds or decelerating? So you feel it all the way through the steering wheel, or is it like a knock in the suspension that is can be slightly felt through the steering wheel or jerks the wheel? Is the knock there just sitting at a light or in a parking lot turning the wheel?

And the brakes, has the dealer looked into them yet?

Sounds like you are jumping the gun a little quick. I do understand how having issues with a brand new truck is extremely annoying, but not everything is perfect. You could get a new ride by another make and have as much of a chance of having a problem there as you do with this 150.

How many times has the dealer looked at the truck for the steering bump? Have you taken the truck to a different dealer? A lot of steps to take and work through before just jumping ship or lawyering up. I know I've had bad tech work by certain dealers in the area, so I now avoid them like the plague and now only deal with one particular dealer.

Edited by V8-X

What scenarios are you experiencing the knock? Is it while turning, or going straight? Accelerating, constant speeds or decelerating? So you feel it all the way through the steering wheel, or is it like a knock in the suspension that is can be slightly felt through the steering wheel or jerks the wheel? Is the knock there just sitting at a light or in a parking lot turning the wheel?

And the brakes, has the dealer looked into them yet?

Sounds like you are jumping the gun a little quick. I do understand how having issues with a brand new truck is extremely annoying, but not everything is perfect. You could get a new ride by another make and have as much of a chance of having a problem there as you do with this 150.

How many times has the dealer looked at the truck for the steering bump? Have you taken the truck to a different dealer? A lot of steps to take and work through before just jumping ship or lawyering up. I know I've had bad tech work by certain dealers in the area, so I now avoid them like the plague and now only deal with one particular dealer.

Thanks to everyone for the responses. Let me first say i am working with the dealer. I have to say they have been GREAT - but have not been able to find the problem. This is the fourth truck I buy from them, and have always been great to deal with. My last trucks had 0 issues - nothing at all. This is why I purchased another Ford. I am not one of those who blame the dealer - having said that I also will state my case clearly and expect things to be fixed. I agree it is a little premature to get legal advice - the truck has been many times so far - trying to fix the problem. They have replaced steering shafts, and stablizer links. Tried other things - they are stumped. You can understand that your blood begins to boil every time you drive the truck and feel this clunking in the steering.

Pertaining to when it occurs - does not matter. Smooth surface, rough surface, turning, going straight - various speeds. It feels as if someone is hitting the steering wheel with a hammer. They check over everything and still not able to located the problem - and they feel the same thing when they drive it (so it's not me - or my drivinig).

The reason for posting - I was hoping that someone else would have a similar issue with solution/fix.

Thanks to everyone for the responses. Let me first say i am working with the dealer. I have to say they have been GREAT - but have not been able to find the problem. This is the fourth truck I buy from them, and have always been great to deal with. My last trucks had 0 issues - nothing at all. This is why I purchased another Ford. I am not one of those who blame the dealer - having said that I also will state my case clearly and expect things to be fixed. I agree it is a little premature to get legal advice - the truck has been many times so far - trying to fix the problem. They have replaced steering shafts, and stablizer links. Tried other things - they are stumped. You can understand that your blood begins to boil every time you drive the truck and feel this clunking in the steering.

Pertaining to when it occurs - does not matter. Smooth surface, rough surface, turning, going straight - various speeds. It feels as if someone is hitting the steering wheel with a hammer. They check over everything and still not able to located the problem - and they feel the same thing when they drive it (so it's not me - or my drivinig).

The reason for posting - I was hoping that someone else would have a similar issue with solution/fix.

R they sure it isn't in the new EPAS unit ford is using in the 2011 it is brand new technology and doubt anyone is familar with it as yet, from reading other forums folks doing lifts on these trucks have had issues with the EPAS and ford did not want to warranty them??? Just a thought..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Did this issue get fixed properly?