40 MPG!

Chibana

There is no question the '12 Focus can get over 40mpg with that kind of commute. My 19 year old Son is starting to learn the tricks and techniques of hypermiling and has his lifetime MPG average at 33.55 so far and he is about to log close to a 40mpg tank soon:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/index.php?page=garage&displayunits=MPG%28US%29&viewcar=3738

He showed little interest at first, but I came up with a plan to motivate him that seems to be working now. I gave him a Scangauge and told him I would give him $5 for every MPG over the combined city/highway EPA of 32mpg. He gives me his gas receipt and the OD readings and I hand him cash. So far he has earned a total of $128 and is learning to save on gas the rest of his life with his new driving habits.

Those of you who want to get serious about gas mileage, the members at http://www.cleanmpg.com/ will help you by joining for free. As a member like you are here, you can post and tell them what you drive and your commute and the safe tricks and techniques will flow. I'm a senior member there and have a lifetime MPG average of 53.8mpg in ~30,000 miles with my '09 FEH. It does not matter what kind of vehicle you drive because every vehicle is welcome. All the members are good people and will help you improve your mileage. The owner of the site is the top hypermiler in the World and the nicest person you will meet.

Thank you! Very helpful.

506 miles on my 2012 Focus SEL with the Powershift transmission. So far averaging 34mpg. Driving is about 70% highway and 30% city with the A/C on most of the time.

Very Good! Your off to a great start and should keep a Mileage Log at http://www.cleanmpg.com/ so other folks here know what to expect from a new Focus.

My Son has over 4,405 miles on his '12 Focus SEL with the Premium package and his Lifetime MPG average is 34.077mpg. His last tank was 39.8mpg, his best ever. If you have the Premium package, you have the same tires and rims. He got the 4 door, what did you get? It would be nice to compare the mileage.

• 5 months later...

You people just displayed why I spend very little time on forums. You sound like a bunch of elementary school kids. The man did not ask for anyone's opinion on what gas he should use, he just made a statement describing what he was doing.

What prompted everyone to start telling him how dumb he was.

Grow Up!