Red Candy (Metallic?)

jfalkSVO

Hi,

I ordered a 2012 SE hatch in Red Candy on July 5th. Initially, there were not accepting orders for Red Candy because of the Japan situation. When we ordered the salesman told us that they had a replacement color that would be indistinguishable from the Red Candy Metallic that we've seen. Now I see that Ford pulled Red Candy (and others) completely. I've heard others speculating that my "Red Candy" will be the same color but will not have the metallic flake. Can anyone confirm this? Also, will the metallic colors return at any point?

Thanks,

Justin

Hi,

I ordered a 2012 SE hatch in Red Candy on July 5th. Initially, there were not accepting orders for Red Candy because of the Japan situation. When we ordered the salesman told us that they had a replacement color that would be indistinguishable from the Red Candy Metallic that we've seen. Now I see that Ford pulled Red Candy (and others) completely. I've heard others speculating that my "Red Candy" will be the same color but will not have the metallic flake. Can anyone confirm this? Also, will the metallic colors return at any point?

Thanks,

Justin

I just picked up my Titanium last Friday with Red Candy. It is listed as an option (more $$) but available.

I just picked up my Titanium last Friday with Red Candy. It is listed as an option (more $) but available.

Is it the "old" Red Candy (U6) or "new" Red Candy (RZ)? You can tell based on the paint code listed on the big sticker that's usually on the door jamb.

Mine is U6 (bullt 5/11).

Why the difference? Why would the issues is Japan have anything to do with the paint?

The "old" Red Candy (U6 paint code) used a pigment called Xirallic. The factory that makes Xirallic is located in Onahama, Japan, and it was damaged by the Japan earthquake back in March. Plus, it's also near the Fukushima nuclear power plant that had the meltdowns. At that time, that factory was the only one in the world that made that pigment. So, the plant was taken offline to fix the earthquake damage, and they had to continually monitor it for any possible radiation. No Xirallic production = no more Red Candy under the U6 paint code.

You probably heard media reports about not being able to get a Ford in black or red back in March/April -- that was the reason (most of those colours used Xirallic). Ford has since replaced most of the colours; hence, there's a new Red Candy being offered (RZ).

My order confirmation says RZ. Will the new Red Candy (RZ) be metallic?

Thanks,

Justin

It's unclear at the moment.

The order guides leaked online say it is, as does Ford.com. A gentleman I know of on FocalJet also ordered Red Candy, and his order confirmation says metallic.

Canadian Ford.ca website shows it as just "Red Candy Tinted" (no mention of metallic). When my order was placed, Ford of Canada's ordering system showed it as metallic.

In both cases, you are charged extra for it.

Cross our fingers it's metallic :)