IMO: Our Contract

MSP_M/R

I personally feel that the company has had plenty of time to give us (Ford) a contract. This extension makes no sense!

In 2007, it took until Nov to hammer out an agreement and then it was opened back up in Feb 2008.

We the membership should send a message to Ford that we're done with this shit and just strike!

We have given plenty back and they have taken even more! And why do our retirees keep getting the shaft?

Ford is making money to pay down 1.8B in debt AND building NEW plants in friggin India and Germany...WTF?

Production and Skilled Trades don't even come close to what management hauls in and we have trimmed our ranks by nearly 60% since 2007.

I just don't get it......Corporate F**kin greed at its finest!!!

• Like 2

I personally feel that the company has had plenty of time to give us (Ford) a contract. This extension makes no sense!

Throughout the history of negotiations, the Company and UAW have at times extended the agreement. When you (the UAW) are negotiating with three different companies at the same time, there will be extensions that is a given.

In 2007, it took until Nov to hammer out an agreement and then it was opened back up in Feb 2008.

This is true. No one could have expected the terrible economic conditions would have forced you back to the bargaining table. Are you saying the UAW shouldn't have renegotiated? If this didn't happen, it would have been a plant closer and job killer for both hourly and salaried employees.

We the membership should send a message to Ford that we're done with this shit and just strike!

You guys have every right to vote this down. But, if you check out the history of strikes in the USA since the 1970's to the present when you do the financial calculations, no union has made any gains by striking. This would also kill the American publics goodwill to Ford Motor Company as the only domestic automaker who did not take a bail out. So long any PR advantage Ford currently has on this front.

We have given plenty back and they have taken even more! And why do our retirees keep getting the shaft?

I know hourly employees don't like to hear this, but everybody has given things back or is paying more. Salaried employees pay up to $500 a month for health insurance before co-pays and deductibles. We didn't have the opportunity to move to another plant or go on lay-off to be called back at a later date. More than half the department I was in got fired. If you read the papers about the VEBA, you would know more about hourly retirees. That is not something the UAW can currently negotiate. My dad is in the VEBA and it is a lot better than my current healthcare from the company.

Ford is making money to pay down 1.8B in debt AND building NEW plants in friggin India and Germany...WTF?

On your first point, Ford needs to pay down it's debt to have a better chance of moving up their credit ratings which means they have to pay less interests on their loans. Since Ford did not take a bail out they still owe money compared to GM and Chrysler. Perhaps you would have preferred that Ford did? Secondly, Ford Motor Company is a global company. You may not like to hear this, but the USA is not the center of the automotive world anymore. That is moving to Asia. Investing in China and India is investing in the companies future. Since Ford is a global company, they will invest in plants all over the world. That makes business sense.

Production and Skilled Trades don't even come close to what management hauls in and we have trimmed our ranks by nearly 60% since 2007.

Ford has trimmed everybody's ranks. General Salaried Roll is down by at least 50% and even managerial ranks have been cut to a major extent. At one point during the cuts, one-third of the Ford attorneys were walked out. So, where is the greed you are talking about?

Sometimes I wander from the sports area to see what my fellow Ford hourly workers are saying. This is an interesting post. I have commented in the bold above. What you end up doing will impact my livelihood and that of the rest of the salaried employees. I wish you the best and hope you get as much as you can because that will trickle into my area. OK, back to sports.

• Like 5

Be patent. I am sure the Chrysler workers are happy the IUAW turned down what they had on the table. Now you can see why King went with GM. Chysler workers will be much better now because of the contract extension.

I would rather the UAW finish up an agreement weeks or months after a deadline to ensure the best package for us.

I remember the 2007 agreement went to November. The media had us taking a $5 an hour pay cut, huge copays and $100 office visits. Because the UAW bargained hard we were spared these cuts. Sure they could have settled in September if you were happy with the cuts.

The IUAW has again succeeded in an agreement that has monetary gains in bonuses, profit sharing and $3 entry level wage and our most important issue is job security all while the media had us taking more concessions

Kudos UAW

• Like 3

Sometimes I wander from the sports area to see what my fellow Ford hourly workers are saying. This is an interesting post. I have commented in the bold above. What you end up doing will impact my livelihood and that of the rest of the salaried employees. I wish you the best and hope you get as much as you can because that will trickle into my area. OK, back to sports.

Fact: There are 3 salary positions to our 17 hourly tradesman in my dept. What a ratio. Ford has 20k salary positions to 43k hourly? Again, what a ratio!

Fact: Ford closes profitable plants. Wall Street says jump...they jump! Maumee closed 9mo after being announced but leaves open Walton Hills which is 70% empty???

Fact: Ford closes plants that are Tops in Quality...remember Atlanta or Norfolk.

Fact: I'm pretty sure salary was given back bonuses plus more in April 2010.....brush up!

Fact: Media exaggerates so friggin much when it comes to Ford, GM and Chrysler. Tell me the last time they were actually accurate! Can you?

Fact: I remember the Ranger coming from foreign soil....then we got GEN in the 80's. Amazingly, jobs were brought back! Guess what....no more GEN & JSP is a maze!

Fact: GM and Chrysler accepted Taxpayer money....YOU SIMPLY CANNOT COMPARE FORD TO THEM ANY LONGER!!!

Ford attorney's....you really want to open that one? Give me a break!

Its simply a joke that we have to extend. Whats the point of an expiration if it never truly expires?

I appreciate your opinions and luckily, we have sports to free our minds from work BS. That was an awesome performance by our LIONS!!!