Some questions regarding 2012 focus sel

College_Student91

Hello, I just recieved my car from the dealership. Im wondering what gas is recomended for regular use? Also at what milage should my first 3 oil changes be at? Just trying to do this right so any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

PLEASE do us all a favor - take the owner's manual out of the glove box and read it cover to cover. It won't take more than a hour and it will answer most of your questions including what gas/oil/filter/etc to use and how often. You will also find lots of features that you didn't know about.

To answer your question though - regular 87 octane. Do all oil changes per the recommendation in the manual (I'm guessing it's either 5K miles or 7500 miles). You may need to look in the maintenance guide if it's not in the OM.

There is no need to do anything different with the first few oil changes. They don't use break-in oil any more and despite what some people will tell you there is no need to "get the metal shavings out".

PLEASE do us all a favor - take the owner's manual out of the glove box and read it cover to cover. It won't take more than a hour and it will answer most of your questions including what gas/oil/filter/etc to use and how often. You will also find lots of features that you didn't know about.

To answer your question though - regular 87 octane. Do all oil changes per the recommendation in the manual (I'm guessing it's either 5K miles or 7500 miles). You may need to look in the maintenance guide if it's not in the OM.

There is no need to do anything different with the first few oil changes. They don't use break-in oil any more and despite what some people will tell you there is no need to "get the metal shavings out".

The car will tell you when to change the oil in the message center. They do say to change it at 10,000 miles even if the car has not told you. (Don't have my car yet but I think I've read the manual cover to cover twice:) )

Edited by bkoester

The car will tell you when to change the oil in the message center. They do say to change it at 10,000 miles even if the car has not told you. (Don't have my car yet but I think I've read the manual cover to cover twice:) )

So you already know the answer. Was this a quiz?

Kudos on reading the manual already. I wasn't sure if the Focus had the intelligent oil life sensor or not.

I recently took mine in for its first oil change at 9382 miles, and the car hand't told me it was needed yet. My concern with waiting until it does is that I put about 38,000 miles on my daily driver every year, and if the notification goes off and I can't get it in for a couple of weeks, it could be another 2,000 miles before I get it in. Maybe that's not a huge deal when most of those miles are expressway, but it still makes me nervous. I want this car to last, so I figure better safe and get it in around 10,000 whether it says to or not.

I recently took mine in for its first oil change at 9382 miles, and the car hand't told me it was needed yet. My concern with waiting until it does is that I put about 38,000 miles on my daily driver every year, and if the notification goes off and I can't get it in for a couple of weeks, it could be another 2,000 miles before I get it in. Maybe that's not a huge deal when most of those miles are expressway, but it still makes me nervous. I want this car to last, so I figure better safe and get it in around 10,000 whether it says to or not.

Make sure you reset the oil life monitor.

Thankyou for your input. Is there anything else you think I should know?

There's not much else. Have a good look at the owner's manual either in print or online from www.flmowner.com. It's pretty clear in when the intervals are, what kinds of fluids to use, and what should be done. It's really about keeping to a routine, and making sure you fix things that break or go wrong early instead of waiting. As long as you take care of your car, it should take care of you.

I wonder if this oil change monitor is even working in the focus? I have not heard of anyone that has had it come up with the warning yet, they have just changed the oil before the warning. I have 8000 miles on mine and no warning yet.

The manual is clear, the '12 Focus has the monitor. Under normal running conditions, you can go up to 10,000 miles or 12 months between changes. All my Fords, including my '09 FEH, has the monitor and as you get close to 10,000 miles, you will get a Change Oil Soon warning. If you get to 10,000 miles, you will get a Change Oil Required warning. If you go to 10,000 miles or over 12 months without a warning, take your Focus to your dealer for repair of the monitor.

I had the Change Oil Soon warning recently in my '11 Explorer, not sure, but I think I was at 9,800 miles when I got the first message. If you're at just 8,000 miles, I wouldn't be concerned myself. If you change your own oil, read pages 342 & 343 of the manual to reset the oil life.

what size rims come standard with this model? is it possible to put 18" rims on it without doing any modifications?

16" x 7", 5-108 bolt pattern. Yes, a plus 2 wheel upgrade is possible without additional modifications. Recommended tire size if you go that route is 235/40R18.

Edited by aneekr

16" x 7", 5-108 bolt pattern. Yes, a plus 2 wheel upgrade is possible without additional modifications. Recommended tire size if you go that route is 235/40R18.

By a two-wheel upgrade you mean I can go up 2 sizes? To 18" rims all around? Trying to find black&chrome rims to go with the sterling grey metallic paintjob.

By a two-wheel upgrade you mean I can go up 2 sizes? To 18" rims all around? Trying to find black&chrome rims to go with the sterling grey metallic paintjob.

Yes. The titanium comes with 18" wheels. Just make sure the tires are the same size as the ones on the Titanium package and they should work fine.

What about the 17-inch machined/painted black rims from Ford? They don't look flashy, but a lot of my friends really love the look of it.