Really Good Post From A 30 Year UAW Member

poop

I think this is pretty cool, and made me kind of sentimental. I know all of us don't agree with this contract, but I think we can all agree that this guy is a great UAW BROTHER! Hope he doesn't mind me sharing this here.

----------------------------------

I've been a UAW member for going on 30 years, first at GM and now at Ford in Kansas City. I just want to say I've never been prouder of our union than I am right now. It would have been easy for us to have focused solely on our pocketbooks. Instead, an increasing number of our members are voting to create jobs. In a country were millions are out of work and where the corporations and the government have done nothing, the UAW is stepping forward. When all the jobs that will be created by the Ford, GM and Chrysler contracts are added up, they should equal about 180,000.

Many people have an image of UAW members as self-centered and greedy. After we pass this contract, they”ll never be able to say that again. Our members will have resisted the impulse to think only about wages so that we could put America back to work. We can and should be proud of that. Next time someone says union members think only of themselves, remind them of what we did to rebuild America's middle class.

--Pat Hayes

• Like 2

I think this is pretty cool, and made me kind of sentimental. I know all of us don't agree with this contract, but I think we can all agree that this guy is a great UAW BROTHER! Hope he doesn't mind me sharing this here.

----------------------------------

I've been a UAW member for going on 30 years, first at GM and now at Ford in Kansas City. I just want to say I've never been prouder of our union than I am right now. It would have been easy for us to have focused solely on our pocketbooks. Instead, an increasing number of our members are voting to create jobs. In a country were millions are out of work and where the corporations and the government have done nothing, the UAW is stepping forward. When all the jobs that will be created by the Ford, GM and Chrysler contracts are added up, they should equal about 180,000.

Many people have an image of UAW members as self-centered and greedy. After we pass this contract, they”ll never be able to say that again. Our members will have resisted the impulse to think only about wages so that we could put America back to work. We can and should be proud of that. Next time someone says union members think only of themselves, remind them of what we did to rebuild America's middle class.

--Pat Hayes

That is a great post. Pat, if you are ever in Chicago, let me know and we'll have a beer together.