2012 Performance / and a few Issues

74stang

I have a 2012 Focus SE sedan with the Sport package. and a few Issues I have is the car is Race red with mostly blacked out trim... so why the hell doesnt it have the blacked out headlights and fog lights (in europe all cars except the base model have them) To me it would make sense to do it that way... and on the Titanium it has the chrome strip down the sill (window) so why not have the chrome headlights.... I though chrome used to be a sign of luxury.. WTF? Also the Titanium has the better handling package, but your screwed with an Automatic.... hmmmm Sport Package should have the excellent handling package ( it handles great as is, but would be cool to have the best upgrade). I also find it upsetting that to have the myford touch and auto temp control you have the buy the SEL or Titanium.. but then you have to sacrifice the Stick.... isnt it the same car for the most part.... why no have the stick available in all models. (like all the other countries do).

Now as for performance... the stick has some balls to it. I lined up with a 2008 Scion TC with a stick and TRD exhaust. and was pretty much a dead even race all the way up to around 115 from a stop light, so I was inpressed for a Sedan having some get up and go. Ive seen Injen has a cold air intake and FM has the exhaust, and SCT is working on a tuner. so the performance upgrade are getting out there. (might wait for warranty to go away... ) :happy feet: :happy feet:

I have a 2012 Focus SE sedan with the Sport package. and a few Issues I have is the car is Race red with mostly blacked out trim... so why the hell doesnt it have the blacked out headlights and fog lights (in europe all cars except the base model have them) To me it would make sense to do it that way... and on the Titanium it has the chrome strip down the sill (window) so why not have the chrome headlights.... I though chrome used to be a sign of luxury.. WTF? Also the Titanium has the better handling package, but your screwed with an Automatic.... hmmmm Sport Package should have the excellent handling package ( it handles great as is, but would be cool to have the best upgrade). I also find it upsetting that to have the myford touch and auto temp control you have the buy the SEL or Titanium.. but then you have to sacrifice the Stick.... isnt it the same car for the most part.... why no have the stick available in all models. (like all the other countries do).

Now as for performance... the stick has some balls to it. I lined up with a 2008 Scion TC with a stick and TRD exhaust. and was pretty much a dead even race all the way up to around 115 from a stop light, so I was inpressed for a Sedan having some get up and go. Ive seen Injen has a cold air intake and FM has the exhaust, and SCT is working on a tuner. so the performance upgrade are getting out there. (might wait for warranty to go away... ) :happy feet: :happy feet:

According to one tuner catering to the Focus market, Ford hasn't "opened" the box yet for programming to SCT. They are having issues trying to get one for the Fiesta, based on what I've read.

But I do agree with the black-out treatment that should have been done at least as a package on the SE. At first, I was hesitant about getting an SE because I see all the pictures of Titaniums with the shiny chrome strip on the side. Now, after having black and the machined rims, I've gone 180-degrees and think the headlights and the fog light surrounds should have been made black too. At least the surrounds and headlights are easy to replace (so I've read). I guess I could go and swap them, but on many days I just can't be bothered...yet :)

A top hypermiler was given a stick and a loaded '12 Titanium Focus to evaluate by Ford. The automatic Focus got much higher MPG than the stick shift '12 Focus. It may have been the stick does not have DFSO (fuel-cut) and the auto does.

I suspect the auto's gear ratio is also a factor. I had a 1999 Contour SVT for 12 years that had essentially the same 5 speed and always felt that it needed a 6th gear for the highway.

overall gear ratio

manual 5th gear - 3.06

auto 6th gear - 2.70

Edited by timinac

I dunno the mileage has been pretty good with my Focus... I drove to IL last month and averaged 37.1 on a still fresh motor. so I can see 40mpg in the future. So not too bad for a Stick. Besides in europe the TDCI 6 speed in the focus is rumored to get 65-75 mpg..... i know the Mondeo (Taurus in Europe) with the TDCI and 6 speed gets 65.6 mpg.... I dunno WTF the Ford Corp is doing here.. but we need some changes.

I dunno the mileage has been pretty good with my Focus... I drove to IL last month and averaged 37.1 on a still fresh motor. so I can see 40mpg in the future. So not too bad for a Stick. Besides in europe the TDCI 6 speed in the focus is rumored to get 65-75 mpg..... i know the Mondeo (Taurus in Europe) with the TDCI and 6 speed gets 65.6 mpg.... I dunno WTF the Ford Corp is doing here.. but we need some changes.

My 20 yr old Son has a '12 Focus SEL auto with a lifetime MPG from the Factory of 34.79mpg. His last tank was 39.3mpg with 75% city driving. I have taught him basic hypermiling techniques, but he is new to the concept and the Focus. He knows about fuel-cut and mainly uses that to improve his mileage around town. You can view his Mileage Log which is calculated by gallons pumped and his permanent OD reading: http://www.cleanmpg.com/index.php?page=garage&displayunits=MPG%28US%29&viewcar=3738 He is the primary driver with 7664 miles so far. I've only driven his Focus for about 40 miles total, but I can see it's a 50mpg plus vehicle all around city/highway for me.