2011 Ford F-150 Ecoboost Supercrew first impressions

HardcoreFXFour

This is the same style of review as the Focus. This truck's my baby and I've had her almost a month now.

Tester specs:

2011 Ford F-150 Supercrew

FX4 Ecoboost

Ebony black exterior

Black interior

Every option but navi.

Exterior Design

What I like:

Black accented taillights, 6 bar grille, body color accents, 20" graphite coloured wheels. Basically everything

What I Don't like:

Large, gaping hole in the front bumper for airflow to the intercooler. at least add a grille to it? Offset license plate bracket. Awkward looking.

Interior Design/Layout/Tech

What I like:

nice interior layout. Symmetrical, simple design with everything in reach. Piano black accents with silver trim easily make the FX4's interior stand out over wood grain. Sync voice commands are slick. interior space is humungous. LCD display in gauge cluster is simple and easy to use. Build quality is great. console shifter is unique and luxurious. The heated seats burn my ass. What else can be said?

What I Don't like:

buggy Microsoft Sync software. It freezes occasionally and the fuse needs to be pulled. Sony sound system is a waste of money, at least in the F-150. Half volume is as loud as it will get, after half it doesn't go any louder. Once the volume gets higher, bass completely disappears and instead of bass, you hear the subwoofer "thumping" up and down. balance and clarity is good, amplifier is underpowered. Save $500 and install an aftermarket system or if anyone can figure out a way to beef up the amp, tell me please. Minor thing, hardly worth mentioning. I wish the shifter had a leather shift boot on it. crumbs and dirt can get in the crack of the shifter base and get stuck to it.

Power and ride/handling

What I like:

Ride is good....on smaller wheels. I'll get to that in the "What i don't like" section. Handling is swell. Power....here we go. jackpot. the Ecoboost is by far and away the best engine in the F-150. Low end torque is superb, which is very noticeable having driven a 5.0L F-150. Towing is superb, pulls my 4500lb boat no problem. Engine and tires are quiet and there are no annoying rattles. Fuel economy is supposed to be good, however mine is not broken in yet. I average 14L/100km. Not great, but I'll wait a few more thousand km.

What I Don't like: Ride. The $500 you saved on that Sony sound system can contribute to tires worth a s**t. The Pirelli's on the 20" rims are by far and away the crappiest tire I have ever felt on a truck. Great on a Maserati, terrible on a truck. Tread makes the truck vibrate, and makes the back end very bouncy. Buy the 20's though, the 18's on the FX4, in my opinion, are very bland looking.

Verdict

Great truck, easily best in class. Pirelli tires are a let down. Interior quality and space is superb. The truck is gorgeous. Ecoboost is the best engine you can get in a half-ton. Overall, I'd recommend this truck to anyone any day of the week. Great hauler/work truck/family minivan/RV.

Overall score out of 10: 8/10

post-46300-0-68953500-1319686451_thumb.jpg

post-46300-0-24523000-1319686616_thumb.jpg

Edited by HardcoreFXFour

What I Don't like:

buggy Microsoft Sync software. It freezes occasionally and the fuse needs to be pulled. Sony sound system is a waste of money, at least in the F-150. Half volume is as loud as it will get, after half it doesn't go any louder. Once the volume gets higher, bass completely disappears and instead of bass, you hear the subwoofer "thumping" up and down. balance and clarity is good, amplifier is underpowered. Save $500 and install an aftermarket system

Power and ride/handling

What I Don't like: Ride. The $500 you saved on that Sony sound system can contribute to tires worth a s**t. The Pirelli's on the 20" rims are by far and away the crappiest tire I have ever felt on a truck. Great on a Maserati, terrible on a truck. Tread makes the truck vibrate, and makes the back end very bouncy. Buy the 20's though, the 18's on the FX4, in my opinion, are very bland looking.

Great review and very objective.

The items I left quoted above are quite common complaints I hear throughout F-Series forums, so this comes as no surprise to me. Actually, the Sync issues isn't unique to the F150, but a very well documented problem across many makes. The Sony sound system, I could have told you that too. Never been impressed by Sony products (at least speakers and head units), and Ford sound systems are never too good. So yeah, opt for the stock radio and replace with an aftermarket unit. And I can't say this is unique to the F150 or Ford, but the stock tires they put on vehicles these days are crap. Have never gotten full life out of them and traction is always poor. Sounds like it's time for you to upgrade to an aftermarket deck & tires. I know those were two of my first changes when I bought my F150 in 2006.

• 2 weeks later...

[. Once the volume gets higher, bass completely disappears and instead of bass, you hear the subwoofer "thumping" up and down. balance and clarity is good, amplifier is underpowered. Save $500 and install an aftermarket system or if anyone can figure out a way to beef up the amp, tell me please.

I have heard of people having great luck by modifying the subwoofer slightly. It has some type of foam block inside it which doesn't help the sound. Basically remove the foam block and replace with pillow poly fill you can get at Walmart for $2, loosely fill the box. I'll be giving this a try when my 12 arrives.

Thanks for the review, really nice to see alot of positive things in your first month with the truck..

This is the same style of review as the Focus. This truck's my baby and I've had her almost a month now.

Tester specs:

2011 Ford F-150 Supercrew

FX4 Ecoboost

Ebony black exterior

Black interior

Every option but navi.

Exterior Design

What I like:

Black accented taillights, 6 bar grille, body color accents, 20" graphite coloured wheels. Basically everything

What I Don't like:

Large, gaping hole in the front bumper for airflow to the intercooler. at least add a grille to it? Offset license plate bracket. Awkward looking.

What I like:

nice interior layout. Symmetrical, simple design with everything in reach. Piano black accents with silver trim easily make the FX4's interior stand out over wood grain. Sync voice commands are slick. interior space is humungous. LCD display in gauge cluster is simple and easy to use. Build quality is great. console shifter is unique and luxurious. The heated seats burn my ass. What else can be said?

What I Don't like:

buggy Microsoft Sync software. It freezes occasionally and the fuse needs to be pulled. Sony sound system is a waste of money, at least in the F-150. Half volume is as loud as it will get, after half it doesn't go any louder. Once the volume gets higher, bass completely disappears and instead of bass, you hear the subwoofer "thumping" up and down. balance and clarity is good, amplifier is underpowered. Save $500 and install an aftermarket system or if anyone can figure out a way to beef up the amp, tell me please. Minor thing, hardly worth mentioning. I wish the shifter had a leather shift boot on it. crumbs and dirt can get in the crack of the shifter base and get stuck to it.

Power and ride/handling

What I like:

Ride is good....on smaller wheels. I'll get to that in the "What i don't like" section. Handling is swell. Power....here we go. jackpot. the Ecoboost is by far and away the best engine in the F-150. Low end torque is superb, which is very noticeable having driven a 5.0L F-150. Towing is superb, pulls my 4500lb boat no problem. Engine and tires are quiet and there are no annoying rattles. Fuel economy is supposed to be good, however mine is not broken in yet. I average 14L/100km. Not great, but I'll wait a few more thousand km.

Verdict

Great truck, easily best in class. Pirelli tires are a let down. Interior quality and space is superb. The truck is gorgeous. Ecoboost is the best engine you can get in a half-ton. Overall, I'd recommend this truck to anyone any day of the week. Great hauler/work truck/family minivan/RV.

Overall score out of 10: 8/10

post-46300-0-68953500-1319686451_thumb.jpg

post-46300-0-24523000-1319686616_thumb.jpg

I LOVE your license plate.... You've got your F-150 so now you'r DONE DREAMIN'