Turning in Explorer and Looking at Envoy's due to the payment

I've been w/ Ford since 1995 and have grown to love my Fords. I've had a 1993 Explorer, 1997 Explorer, 1999 Mustang V6, 2002 Mustang GT and now a 2004 Explorer XLT. Now, I'm trying to get another Explorer but the best deal they are running is for an Eddie Bauer and the payment is higher than my XLT Sport and the new XLT models lease higher than what I have. So, right now the Eddie Bauer is almost $90 more a month than the Envoy SLE which is pretty comparable to the features in the Eddie Bauer other than leather. Frankly, I really don't want leather.

In all reality, I want a Freestyle, Edge, Town & Country Mini Van or a Pacifica but both the Freestyle, Town & Counhtry and the Pacifica lease crappie right now. The edge can be ordered but who knows what they will be leasing out at until they actually ship.

So, what does the Explorer have that the Envoy doesn't.

Anyone on the inside know "IF" ford will be running some good deals on Freestyle's soon? I was pretty set on a Fusion, G6 or a Grand Prix due to gas prices however we already have a Jetta so we don't 100% think getting a second car is the smartest thing to do right now. So, I'll start taking the Jetta to work and leave the SUV w/ my wife and son during the week.

I need some guidance on what Ford might be doing? Anyone know the future or what's going to happen on the 1st of August?

Bill

Freestyle will have some deals in the early spring a sthe redesigend ones roll in. that is for sure..

abour Explorer v. Envoy, I always thought the Explorer was simply much better car all around - interior, looks, quality - but I never owned either - so I will hold my opinion.

Igor

The ride(independant rear suspension), interior(more versatile) and the quietness of the ride are all heavily in Explorer's favor. Simply put the Explorer is the state of the art mid-size SUV in the industry hands down.

If you look around this thread you will see a poster by the name of tofer. He did alot of research when purchasing his Explorer and I'm sure could help you.

Thanks... Out of respect to my dealership, who has always giving me a lot of respect of time... I called and told them about my dilemma. Then, I asked them to find me a stripped eddie bauer without 3rd row seating so I could compare apples to apples seeing the Envoy only had seating for 5... So, the Explorer is about $15 more a month... First month is free and no security deposit.

So, economically, the Explorer is the best deal for me seeing it will only cost me about $100ish to pick it up... versus $700ish to get the Envoy... I'll have to defiantly think this over but my head is really starting to hurt. Ideally, I wanted a Pacifica, Mini Van, Freestyle because they get better gas millage compared to my Explorer. However, the leases on all three of these are to high.

Bill

I'm pretty sure with the gas prices and the fact that sales are down, you'll be seeing better lease deals on all the bigger SUV's and better rebates. I traded in my '02 Escape for a '06 Explorer Eddie Baurer with all the bells and whistles. Absolutely love it. I've had it for 4 months and have no complaints.

I'm pretty sure with the gas prices and the fact that sales are down, you'll be seeing better lease deals on all the bigger SUV's and better rebates. I traded in my '02 Escape for a '06 Explorer Eddie Baurer with all the bells and whistles. Absolutely love it. I've had it for 4 months and have no complaints.

I think you are close, but no cigar. My guess is that LEASE deals will not get better and might even worsen. But PURCHASE deals will get better...by the end of the 2005 model year you could get Explorers for $10,000 off of sticker after all the gimmicks were figured in. But leasing is a different animal. Because as the model year wears on...and in this case as the market continues to punish gas guzzlers...the residual/used car value sinks too. My guess is that you'll soon start seeing big gimmicked deals on Explorer, but leasing might not get all the benefits since the residuals are tanking. Heck, my $38,000 (sticker) 50,000 miles 4 year old 2003 Mountaineer Premier is only worth about $14,000 on a trade. No one wants 'em.

• 2 weeks later...
Simply put the Explorer is the state of the art mid-size SUV in the industry hands down.

Huh? How is this so? The new Explorer is possibly the most disapointing update from Ford in a decade. It has been roundly criticized by almost every auto magazine and has finished middle of the pack in comparison tests. It neither excels on the highway or offroad. It has a very good 3rd seat for a mid-size. It has interior challenges (such as the stupid door handle design).

Styling is very subjective of course but the new chrome on the front is a lame attempt to try to take the vehicle further upscale, but they failed.

And it is performing poorly in the market. Some is gas prices, but other mid-size has held up better.

Huh? How is this so? The new Explorer is possibly the most disapointing update from Ford in a decade. It has been roundly criticized by almost every auto magazine and has finished middle of the pack in comparison tests. It neither excels on the highway or offroad. It has a very good 3rd seat for a mid-size. It has interior challenges (such as the stupid door handle design).

Styling is very subjective of course but the new chrome on the front is a lame attempt to try to take the vehicle further upscale, but they failed.

And it is performing poorly in the market. Some is gas prices, but other mid-size has held up better.

I agree that it was a disappointing update but only on the outside. It's still a good looking vehicle. I just think they should have changed the outside more.

Inside was a total redesign and was done well with the exception of the door handles. However. you can strike that off your list of complaints because the door handles have been fixed for the 07' model.

The Explorer excells both on and off the road so here you are just simply wrong. Explorer's 6 speed V8, independent rear suspention put it in very select company. Customers comment on how remarkably quiet the interior is on Explorer. There are just too many segment leading qualities to this vehicle to list.

You say the Explorer is performing poorly in the market compared to other mid-size SUV's. Again, this is just simply wrong. The Explorer continues to be the best selling mid-size SUV in the world.

There are some fine mid-sized SUV's out there but none have quite reached the level of the Explorer.

The ride(independant rear suspension), interior(more versatile) and the quietness of the ride are all heavily in Explorer's favor. Simply put the Explorer is the state of the art mid-size SUV in the industry hands down.

If you look around this thread you will see a poster by the name of tofer. He did alot of research when purchasing his Explorer and I'm sure could help you.

Hey hey TOFER here :bandance:

I would definately say that the Explorer is all the way around a better vehicle (but it's not my $90 each month)...

Personally, the "soft/weak" GM switches, flat drivers seat, styling, and engine/road noise were big reasons i did NOT go with a GM...

Sure it's body on frame, it can tow, it HAS XM RADIO (Hello Ford??) :cry: but the handling and the overall experience, not the same.

The Envoy is at the end of it's current design cycle and is due to be updated (and needs it) soon.

It's your choice and $$, but the differences are strong, drive the Envoy 1st, then the Explorer (V8 please) and you will see.

Are either PERFECT? no.... but is ANY vehicle really?

I agree that it was a disappointing update but only on the outside. It's still a good looking vehicle. I just think they should have changed the outside more.

Inside was a total redesign and was done well with the exception of the door handles. However. you can strike that off your list of complaints because the door handles have been fixed for the 07' model.

The Explorer excells both on and off the road so here you are just simply wrong. Explorer's 6 speed V8, independent rear suspention put it in very select company. Customers comment on how remarkably quiet the interior is on Explorer. There are just too many segment leading qualities to this vehicle to list.

You say the Explorer is performing poorly in the market compared to other mid-size SUV's. Again, this is just simply wrong. The Explorer continues to be the best selling mid-size SUV in the world.

There are some fine mid-sized SUV's out there but none have quite reached the level of the Explorer.

As an owner and 15k miles, the handles are ALWAYS commented on by non-owners and sure it's different, but the road handling (on and off --yes it is NO Jeep) has far exceeded my expectations all the way around. Interior noise (what noise - almost) is AWESOME and well done Ford!!

V8 and 6spd automatic works very well and IF you keep your foot out of it you can certainly touch the 20+/- mpg

Yeah both me and Calvin@LAP are slightly biased, but shouldn't we? Him builds them, i love mine and we try to spread the word so others enjoy them and he can build more of them!! :bandance: