Toyota Products Have Fewer Problems Than Ford's

mettech

What is the issue here?

Why can Ford not be the world leader in long-term dependability?

Here's the list of nameplates and the number of problems per 100 vehicles according to J.D. Power and Associates' closely watched Vehicle Dependability Study

[/url]

1. Lexus, 86
  2. Porsche, 98
  3. Cadillac, 104
  4. Toyota, 104bn
  5. Scion, 111
  6. Mercedes-Benz, 112
  7. Lincoln, 116
  8. Ford, 124

Lexus leads in long-term dependability

One thing to consider? Ford sells more trucks. Trucks tend to have more problems than cars. :shrug:

Good point NickF1011. Along those lines, J.D. Power noted the following in the previous year's (2011 survey on 2008 MY vehicles) U.S. market VDS:

The study finds that while domestic brands have closed the gap in initial quality with import brands, there is still a considerable difference between the two in vehicle dependability, with import brands outperforming domestic brands by 18 PP100 in 2011 [this was down to 13 PP100 in 2012].

While domestic brand cars have fewer problems (135 PP100, on average) than import brand cars (147 PP100, on average), trucks and crossover vehicles of import brands have considerably fewer problems than those of domestic brands.

• 2 weeks later...

Trucks tend to have more problems than cars. :shrug:

If anyone else made such a grossly over generalized and simplified statement around here there would be 3 pages of bashing him/her for it!

Also, I never put much stock in what JD or any of the rags have to say about "problems per 100". My issue with these surveys is that "problem" can mean just about anything - from a blown fuse to blown engine. I don't consider something a problem until it takes me more than 2 hours or $50 worth of parts to fix. By this definition, even my 1992 Explorer rarely has "problems".

Now I know that swapping engines or transmissions at home isn't for everyone, but if you have to take your car to the dealer to have them tighten the lug nuts (for example), you don't deserve to complain about it!

If anyone else made such a grossly over generalized and simplified statement around here there would be 3 pages of bashing him/her for it!

Also, I never put much stock in what JD or any of the rags have to say about "problems per 100". My issue with these surveys is that "problem" can mean just about anything - from a blown fuse to blown engine. I don't consider something a problem until it takes me more than 2 hours or $50 worth of parts to fix. By this definition, even my 1992 Explorer rarely has "problems".

Now I know that swapping engines or transmissions at home isn't for everyone, but if you have to take your car to the dealer to have them tighten the lug nuts (for example), you don't deserve to complain about it!

Everyone has their standards of what a "problem" is or what "ugly" is....

A small automobile problem can be corrected with a little bit of time and money..

A little to very ugly can be compensated by drinking various amounts of beer over a short period of time.

Definition of the word "problem" is all about standards.

• 6 months later...

There are several reasons why Toyota has better quality reported:

1. They are very slow in adopting new technology . They do so only after quite a bit of testing.

2. Large generalization warning:There customer base is largely not knowledgeable regarding cars. They have a larger female clientele. When you go in for routine maintenance at a Toyota dealership they have a recommended replace list that covers most things that could wear out. At a domestic dealer if they tried to replace as many things as on there list you would think they were trying to take your money. Go with your girlfriend to her next Toyota dealer routine maintenance visit if you don't believe me. ( I assume you would make you wife drive a domestic)

2. I am not saying that Toyota has bad Quality at all but what makes you think they actually tell the truth about these surveys? These are things gone wrong as reported by the company. A company that has reputation for being above all else reliable. There quality goes up and up. No matter what. I hear all sorts of problems with Toyota trucks like there lift gate fall off...but there number always look good and get better and better.

I was part of a team that sold Toyota an new Speed Control. We had a product that was very mature and reliable. They asked for a complete redesign including material changes. Our sub supplier parts even changed and moved manufacturing to china. What resulted was that we sold Toyota the worse piece of junk we had every made. It took us several months to come up with a fix for all those problems. Toyota policy about failed components says that if you pass there testing they never send anything bad back out of a car for warranty analysis. They eat their bad parts. We don't see warranty numbers from them. Ford would send every one of those bad parts back to supplier and charge them for the cost of swapping them out. Our product alone should have dented their quality. No body else see there numbers so what makes you think these numbers are anywhere near the truth?

• 1 month later...