Was there a military coup in China?

I just got back from Chongqing this morning (via Beijing). The Bo Xilai affair, with his right hand man seeking asylum in the US embassy, was a hot topic among the business owners and professionals I was working with. There were also rumors circulating that the person killed in the crash of a Ferrari in the capital was the son of a party official - and rumors that it may have been an assassination related to an investigation of Bo. He was a tremendously popular figure in Chongqing when he was mayor / governor. It was interesting to listen to this "chatter": In China, people seem to be very aware that censorship exists - and when a rumor begins circulating, and seems to be suddenly suppressed, it is assumed that censorship is taking place - and rampant speculation ensues, nobody knowing for sure what the real situation is. I had to contrast that with the situation here in the US, where every rumor or event is magnified and milked for all its worth in the chase for ratings, so we're receiving huge amounts of so-called "information", none of which we can trust. The left doesn't trust the corporate controlled media. The right doesn't trust the liberal media establishment. It is by no means obvious to me that the Chinese (at least the ones I am exposed to) are any more in the dark about things than many Americans.

One thing I did not hear was any notion of a military coup, or an attempted one, and not a hint of uneasiness about the business climate. Development plans for the next couple years are proceeding apace (thankfully for me - they've saved my bacon the last couple of years). As I was flying back to Seattle this morning, the mayor of Seattle, Mike McGinn, was flying in to Chongqing (Seattle's sister city in China) - meeting with my clients amongst others.

Edited by retro-man
  • Like 2

Google is your friend. Try "China Coup" — probably 100-200 news items, most within 24 hours old. But if all you watch is Lobotomy-TV . . . :)

I am talking about mainstream media. I searched it on Fox's website and came up empty. Surely the mainstream media knows something. They have resourses. If it is a hoax, that in itself is a story. Why all the silence? If it is a hoax, they would be saying that. If it is not a hoax, they would either put it in the headlines or bury it to prevent a panic in the markets. This is not a non-story, whether true or not. The silence in the mainstream media is mighty suspicious.

Everything i read in the international news suggests it's only a rumor.

.....but there is so little in the mainstream press that you can find. It looks like they are waiting. Nobody seems to know, or are willing to say what is going on. I hate being manipulated and kept in the dark by higher authorities "for my own good". They have the resourses to find out the truth or non-truth of rumors. They know, but are not saying.