Sound trickery gives Focus ST engine a Mustang growl

mettech

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2012/05/sound-trickery-gives-focus-st-engine-a-mustang-growl/1

The engineers have added a special sound tube on the ST called a sound symposer. It amplifies the engine's lower sound frequencies, the sounds that you want to hear in a performance car. Ford has used a similar technique on Mustangs, but it is done differently in the the Focus ST.

In the ST, the symposer attaches directly to the intake manifold and has a valve that opens and closes as the driver accelerates and shifts.

I remember seeing this first in the BMW Z4. Interesting piece of tech but just one question: As a potential Focus ST buyer, do I want my car to sound like a Mustang? I could buy a Mustang but I choose to buy a Focus ST. I'm a 'Hot-hatch' guy. No I don't put 'fart-cans' on my car. I guess I'll have to hear it to decide.

UPDATE: I heard the sound file on the Autoblog link and it's a very nice sound. I would like to hear the engine without it to deside which I like better.

Edited by Hugh

• 3 months later...

It's not electronic. It's a physical pipe to bring sound from the engine to the passenger compartment, and it's been shaped and tuned to modify the sound. It does sound good, though the V8 Cobras have nothing to fear. Sometimes the sound is a little burbly or hollow to my ear; you are, after all, listening to the engine down a well, as it were.

The other interesting thing about the Symposer is that it has a butterfly valve tied to engine RPM to cut the sound. Step on the gas, the engine revs, and you get to enjoy it going vroom. Reach cruising speed on the freeway, and the car goes quiet. Some might want a constant purr, but I like having that bit of personality change from growling street racer to serene luxury touring.

(Maybe in 2014 they'll give you an option to lock it open, or closed, or move the set point depending on your preferences.)

It's not electronic. It's a physical pipe to bring sound from the engine to the passenger compartment, and it's been shaped and tuned to modify the sound. It does sound good, though the V8 Cobras have nothing to fear. Sometimes the sound is a little burbly or hollow to my ear; you are, after all, listening to the engine down a well, as it were.

The other interesting thing about the Symposer is that it has a butterfly valve tied to engine RPM to cut the sound. Step on the gas, the engine revs, and you get to enjoy it going vroom. Reach cruising speed on the freeway, and the car goes quiet. Some might want a constant purr, but I like having that bit of personality change from growling street racer to serene luxury touring.

(Maybe in 2014 they'll give you an option to lock it open, or closed, or move the set point depending on your preferences.)

Would be great if they could make that for the wife...