First Drive: Focus ST

Hugh

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Saw my first ST at a local dealership tonight. Tangerine Scream and I assume the ST3 package. $34+ CAD and in the same range as a 5 dr GTI down the road. It has a sale offer. $31+ or 0% for 72 months. It was a long drive home with the wife I tell you. She agreed with me if it was in Blue or Black even Silver or Gray: We'd be back tomorrow and buying it.

It's a great thing to drive.

Tuxedo Black, Ingot Silver, Performance Blue... I ordered mine in PB. The black is a metallic black with iridescent bits, kind of like opal.

Might not be ST3. Ford sent out a lot of ST2s as the first round to the dealer. Easiest way to tell is probably to look at the seats: ST3 is full leather, ST2 is leather with some cloth inserts (brightly colored in many cars, but also available in "Smoke Storm" grey.) Second easiest, and from the outside, see if the headlights are HIDs with LED eyebrows.

Are the Canadian configurations exactly the same as the US ones? I seem to remember there were some differences, maybe a differnet options setup.

• 1 month later...
It's a great thing to drive.

Tuxedo Black, Ingot Silver, Performance Blue... I ordered mine in PB. The black is a metallic black with iridescent bits, kind of like opal.

Might not be ST3. Ford sent out a lot of ST2s as the first round to the dealer. Easiest way to tell is probably to look at the seats: ST3 is full leather, ST2 is leather with some cloth inserts (brightly colored in many cars, but also available in "Smoke Storm" grey.) Second easiest, and from the outside, see if the headlights are HIDs with LED eyebrows.

Are the Canadian configurations exactly the same as the US ones? I seem to remember there were some differences, maybe a differnet options setup.

AFAIK, yes. Check out the new Ford.ca site. I think ST3 has full leather but I don't know about HID. I think it's a late availability. I was at a dealership tonight and sat in a ST w/ST3 but Yellow exterior. Man it's awesome!

I gotta go drive one of those

A sentiment that certainly bears repeating.

I think ST3 has full leather but I don't know about HID.

Do they still use the same names, even though the Canadian configurations are different? (I thought were was just one Canadian config, but I might misremember some forum post.)

• 2 months later...
A sentiment that certainly bears repeating.

Do they still use the same names, even though the Canadian configurations are different? (I thought were was just one Canadian config, but I might misremember some forum post.)

It's $1000 CAD for the ST2 package which is full Leather and you pay another $700 for Navigation. HID is part of the package but late availability.

• 3 months later...

I've had mine now for about 3 weeks I believe and love it. It just does what you tell it. For normal cruising on the highway there's nary a reason to downshift at highway speed. Only if you need significant power is there a need. To overtake most regular vehicles that flat torque curve just does it for you even in 6th. All other aspects are just as cool as the regular Focus. I just love it.