Edmunds review of the non-ST 2013 Focus

Unreal

The Edmunds review of the 2013 Focus (S, SE, Titanium, and Electric) was just put up. I was expecting something short with some kind of statement like very little has changed from the 2012 model, but they did a pretty favorable write-up. Here are a couple of quotes... "Add in a wide range of trim levels that include all-electric and high-performance variants and it's easy to see why this is one of our favorite small cars." and "Yet even in this solid grouping, the Ford Focus impresses by being a sophisticated, highly refined and fun-to-drive small car that earns one of the highest compliments we can pay a car -- it looks and feels as if it should be priced higher.". Here is a link to the review:

http://www.edmunds.com/ford/focus/2013/

Although I have an ST on order, I was glad to see the 2013 Focus Titanium has the option for a manual transmission. I seem to be in the minority, but I PREFER a manual over an automatic, even if they are priced the same. However, it is still only a 5-speed. Seems like there would be better adoption of the manual transmission if the 6-speed was offered instead of the 5-speed.

I just bought a new 2012 Focus Titanium with a manual shift. I REALLY like driving it for a lot of reasons; the comfortable seats, great outward view, excellent handling, fantastic car stereo, NAV is great... I could go on. . I agree, a 6 speed shifter would have been better. Hope you enjoy your ST!

• 2 months later...

Edmunds does not "suck". It is useful.

The only disappointment I have with my five speed manual 2012 Focus is the lack of a sixth gear. I do cruise at high speeds on western interstates; the car really needs a sixth on these trips.

I want a six speed manual, diesel "estate".

-ranchero-

Kitty litter is also useful but I wouldn't use it for auto advice.

Several years ago the Edmunds editor in chief wondered in an article why Ford called their Jaguar AJ V8 based Lincoln LS engine a 3.9L while Jaguar called their version a 4.0L.

I sent him an email explaining that the stroke in the Lincoln engine was 1 mm shorter than the stroke in the Jag version and that was why the displacement was different.

His response was "why would a change in stroke length change the displacement?". Which is like saying why does a tall glass hold more water than a short glass?

Kitty litter is far more useful.

Edited by akirby

I am satisfied with the shifter on the five speed and the spacing of the five ratios. I don't dislike the 5 speed for what it is and it works as it should.

However I am disappointed that the car does not have a sixth, taller gear; it is the one and only major shortcoming of my particular car. In my driving I am quite aware of the need for the tall sixth gear.

Luckily I do not have MFT/Sync so no complaints about that. But I think that the car's engine feels the need for another ratio available.

- ranchero -