2013 Escape Rear Bumper

pillboy

Is it just me or does it look like the rear hatch is relatively unprotected by the bumper in low speed collisions? I think a good pop in the back will bork the tailgate in addition to the bumper cover. Happened twice to my wife's last new car, at 1 month of age and 13 months. Only needed to fix the bumper cover both times, but the bumper extends a good six inches past any of the other parts of the car.

ford-2013-ford-escape-rear-three-quarters-5-of-2013-ford-escape-ecoboost-ford-expedition-2013-pictures_4415.jpg

It does appear that theres's no protection for bottom of the rear hatch. It must be difficult to tell from the pictures. The thing is, that area has to meet a minimum crash standard so the protection must be engineered in somehow. Maybe that bottom piece of the tail gate is designed to be replaceable in a low impact crash. LSchicago, let us know.

CUV?

What Edmunds Says:

The 2013 Ford Escape is a winner in the segment of small crossover utility vehicles thanks to athletic driving dynamics, an inviting cabin and plenty of useful high-tech features.

Edited by Sassy7

The Kuga does not have the plastic piece on the liftgate thus allowing the rear bumper to extend past it and I think this is a much better design to decrease the chance of liftgate damage in a low speed collision. I also wonder how this plastic is fastened to the metal liftgate on the Escape...if it is bolted on there is no way the metal will escape (pun!) damage if the plastic is damaged, and is this another area for rust to start? Look at the rear license plate eyebrow on numerous Ford liftgates and notice how a good number of them have rust creeping out from under them once they get a few years old. I'm just saying...

Ford-Kuga-Titanium-S_2012-01-1280.jpg

Why do automakers always seem to give the North American market the design rejects from other parts of the world? I know design is subjective, but not only is the Kuga's rear better looking, but in my opinion the front is too.

ford_kuga_front_side_beach-1024x768.jpg