6.2 Liter that hangs in 2nd forever when towing

Just curious if anyone has experienced their tranny hanging in 2nd at about half throttle for what seems forever when towing? We haul a 10,000 lb toy hauler, and just rolling out at a normal speed it will hit 5000 to 5300 rpm's in 2nd a lot of the time. I can let off the throttle and then it just decelerates in 2nd. Just shift already!!!! It makes me crazy. Had it to the shop twice so far. Taking it next week with trailer attached this time to show them. I would expect this behavior in WOT or something close, but not 'normal" acceleration. I have gone to manual shifting alot of the time.

Just curious if anyone has experienced their tranny hanging in 2nd at about half throttle for what seems forever when towing? We haul a 10,000 lb toy hauler, and just rolling out at a normal speed it will hit 5000 to 5300 rpm's in 2nd a lot of the time. I can let off the throttle and then it just decelerates in 2nd. Just shift already!!!! It makes me crazy. Had it to the shop twice so far. Taking it next week with trailer attached this time to show them. I would expect this behavior in WOT or something close, but not 'normal" acceleration. I have gone to manual shifting alot of the time.

Stupid question maybe, but you don't have 3-6 locked out with the manual selector, do you?

No, I do not. It is just weird, all other gears shift in an acceptable range. In fact when it does finally shift it will shift to 3rd and immediately 4th. Like it knows it is wrong. :bag: Occasionally, it will shift violently to 3rd, so violently I look in the rear view mirror, looking for parts in the road. That seems to correspond with me locking out 6th, which I always do when towing. I have not really tried to duplicate that, due to obvious reasons.

No, I do not. It is just weird, all other gears shift in an acceptable range. In fact when it does finally shift it will shift to 3rd and immediately 4th. Like it knows it is wrong. :bag: Occasionally, it will shift violently to 3rd, so violently I look in the rear view mirror, looking for parts in the road. That seems to correspond with me locking out 6th, which I always do when towing. I have not really tried to duplicate that, due to obvious reasons.

Hmmm, strange. Best of luck getting it taken care of!

• 4 months later...

Well if you do some reading online you will find out that the new 6 speed torque shift tranmission is having lots of issues, thousands of people having problems, including me and i have a 6.2L that has has transmission issues since day 1, first they tried reprogramming, then reprogramming agian, then solenoids, then complete tare apart and replace internal componenets, still having shifting problems, hard shifts in first and second, hangs in second just like you describe, shift flares, etc. Worst thing about it is that FORD does not know what the problem is. Truck is at dealer for fifth week as i write this. The hardest part is convincing them that there is a problem, becuase its a new problem and new tyransmission, and it takes a bit of driving in the truck to see all of the issues.