GM turns to MTV to reach prospective employees

PREMiERdrum

GM turns to MTV to reach new employees

TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. -- As it tries to attract new employees for the years to come, General Motors has gone to one of the youth market's biggest global watering holes -- MTV.

GM has been advertising itself on the cable TV music channel to show young people its potential as an innovative employer. On one of its most visible recent pitches, MTV stunt skateboarder Rob Dyrdek performed a 360-degree flip of a new Chevrolet Sonic.

That was partly to increase the Sonic's hip factor among millennials who might not be thinking about buying Chevrolets. But the spot was also part of a larger campaign to put GM in the minds of young people who never considered working for America's biggest automaker, says Sean Vander Elzen, GM's senior manager for global talent acquisition.

"We want to reach out to millennials and get them to consider that GM is an attractive workplace," Vander Elzen said here Tuesday at Center for Automotive Research's 2012 Management Briefing Seminars. "We need people from all different generations. But we have been working with MTV to develop ideas for bringing more millennials into our work force."

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120808/RETAIL03/120809854#ixzz22yxmlx1F

And a great response from GMI moderator nsap:

So, where do I begin on this mess?

1) Memo to GM: my generation isn't watching MTV anymore...we don't watch pay TV period. I do market analysis and research for a cable TV company. Gen Y is dropping pay TV at record pace.

2) GM has plenty of Gen Y talent applying today. I should know because I have been one. If your bureaucratic, red-tape-filled talent acquisition process is turning away CAPTIVE Gen Y prospects, why bother spending money to attract more to turn down!?!?

I'm absolutely amazed at how clueless GM appears sometimes. It's almost unbelievable.

Edited by PREMiERdrum

MTV is directly aimed at tween and teen girls in all critical dayparts.

I picture a bunch of middle aged, white GM execs sitting around a stuffy boardroom discussing how to make their employment openings seem "hip".

"Let's get on the MTV! These kids today love the MTV!"