2013 Escape Ti 4WD Tires?

Steve H

They are the same make/model on all trim varations of the 2013 Escape, diffrent rim sizes depending on trim of course.

Continental ContiPro Contact for all, FWD and 4WD.

Not the best tire in the world in my opinion, and it's a passenger car tire to boot. Tried to find a Michelin tire that would fit these sizes, to no avail. I have emailed Michelin because I would think they would want business from new Escape owners.

Edited by svtenthusiast

I have been relatively pleased with the Michelins on our Outback (they came off just this morning for a new set of Goodyear Assurance Comfortreds) as we got over 65,000 miles of wear out of them, but they were all weather-checked to hell after only 4 years. There was still about 5/32" of tread left too, but since the car is going to my step-daughter, I wanted better rubber on it with winter coming.

It seems by the time I am done with any set of tires, I rarely buy the same brand as there is something about them that makes me not want to go with the same brand again. I have never had Continentals before, so I am kind of looking forward to these. I am pleasantly surprised by the lack of road noise and the quality of the ride even in the low-profile 19" size.

FWIW, I've read mostly negative reviews of the ContiProContacts. Quite a few complaints of side wall bulging and very many complaints of short tread life.

As with anything, folks with a negative experience are far more likely to voice an opinion of the product. I guess time will tell how the Continentals perform on the Escape platform.

Edited by inswva

...folks with a negative experience are far more likely to voice an opinion of the product

That's a good point - I've been all over the web today, and the negative reviews are at least 3-to1 - but most are about tread life. My lease is only 24 months & 30,000 mi, so I expect I'm not going to have to worry. I had the same issue with my 1st BMW 2002 in 1970 - the Continentals' performance was fairly good, but the wear was terrible.

That's a good point - I've been all over the web today, and the negative reviews are at least 3-to1 - but most are about tread life. My lease is only 24 months & 30,000 mi, so I expect I'm not going to have to worry. I had the same issue with my 1st BMW 2002 in 1970 - the Continentals' performance was fairly good, but the wear was terrible.

Yea they used this tire on the 06-09 Fusion and most of them were worn out in the 30K range. These tires don't have a thick tread to begin with though.

Mine measured 10/32", which is a very common new tire tread depth (this can also be found in tire website spec charts). Car manufacturer supplied OE tires quite often leave something to be desired (unless you are buying a premium priced car, and even a loaded Escape is far from that definition) in the way of performance on most fronts. On a new car they just need to be rubber, round, black, and last through most lease periods.

I was hoping for something with a little better traction for mud and snow like a Good Year Wrangler SR-A or a BF Goodrich All Terrain.

I guess I shouldn't be thinking about the Escape's off road capabilities but can't help comparing it to my Compass which I suppose is like apples and oranges. :dreamy:

I was hoping for something with a little better traction for mud and snow like a Good Year Wrangler SR-A or a BF Goodrich All Terrain.

I guess I shouldn't be thinking about the Escape's off road capabilities but can't help comparing it to my Compass which I suppose is like apples and oranges. :dreamy:

You certainly can't compare the Compass to the Escape. I dumped my Compass for the Titanium and it's the best thing I've ever done. The Compass was a piece of $#!% compared to the Escape. No comparison at all.

You certainly can't compare the Compass to the Escape. I dumped my Compass for the Titanium and it's the best thing I've ever done. The Compass was a piece of $#!% compared to the Escape. No comparison at all.

Encouraging (I think). Have you had your Escape Ti offroad at all?

Considering the '13 Escape is built on the Focus platform, I would hardly consider it an off-road vehicle. I certainly wouldn't expect to run anything other than regular "car" tires. Tires like BFG A/T's would be ridiculous on the '13 Escape. Just because the '13 is offered with an AWD drivetrain doesn't make it an off-road vehicle. Make no mistake, the 2013 Escape is a car, not a truck.

Edited by inswva